corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » handling

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author handling
Doug_SRi

User status: Offline
11th Mar 04 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i used to have a completly standard corsa c sxi with 185/55/15 tyres and the 15" wheels. The tyres were michelin energy ones but now i have a corsa sri with 195/45/16 dunlop sp sport 9000 tyres (i think) and have the slightly better suspension but so far i am quite sure that the car doesnt handle as well. it seems to loose grip quite easily and generally just doesnt feel as good as my old car, is there any reason for this? dont want to change my suspension cause of insurance and stuff. do those things that you get to stiffen your suspension work, like a black rubber thing that goes in the sping coils?
Siberia

11th Mar 04 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did u change springs and dampers? or just spring?
Doug_SRi

11th Mar 04 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i havnt changed anything, both cars were standard but the SRi comes lowered (15mm) with uprated shocks as standard
Siberia

11th Mar 04 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh yeh i should learn how to read

erm.. could be just the different tyre sizes although i would have though the better suspesion would make it handle better

[Edited on 11-03-2004 by Siberia]

[Edited on 11-03-2004 by Siberia]
Born_corsa02

11th Mar 04 at 22:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What weather is this in because wider wheels always lose grip a lot easier in wet weather
Siberia

11th Mar 04 at 22:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh aquaplaining yeh haawwww
Kris TD

11th Mar 04 at 23:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have you got ya foot on the pedal round corners, cos the more power you have, on throttle round corners is gonna make it understeer more due to one wheel loosing grip aloot more easily.
blackula

12th Mar 04 at 00:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The SXI has different suspension to the other Corsas too, the camber angles are different and if you put sxi wheels on an Elegance for example, they DON'T handle as well.

The SXI is a bit wallowy, you can cure much of this with polyflex bushes and by using a better tyre. Many Sxi's came with Conti's which are a good rounder, but along with polyflex bushes and Yokohama A043 (tis what I have) you will get rid of that pitching you get when chucking it about.

Another thing remove weight from the rear (spare wheel etc) and lower rear pressures to 24. This makes the car oversteer on lift off (like a 309gti) and cancels out some of the understeer dialled in (deliberately) to the front end.

Believe it or not you can make the C handle ok this way.

As for your SRI with 16's I reckon those Dunlops need a stiffer suspension setup. The SRI corsa is still pretty soft. Some hatches dont like certain wheel sizes too, fitting the 15" wheel from the 1.9 to the 1.6 gti 205 used to make it oversteer too much as suspension on the 1.6 was set up for 14" and not 15" wheel.

blackula

12th Mar 04 at 00:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also and....

http://www.engineeringtalk.com/news/pkf/pkf113.html

Before you think I'm mad

Mine are filled with Nitrogen, and like the article says, does seem to keep pressure longer if not much else.

New Poll