corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Corsa C LED dash conversion

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Corsa C LED dash conversion
Rob H

User status: Offline
9th Mar 04 at 23:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Corsa C Dials LED replacement.

You will need 3 or 4 replacement LED’s for this conversion, depending whether you change the bulb illuminating the odometer or not. The MFD uses 2 LED’s. The LED's are available from the user Cobra148 for under a tenner. Wouldnt usually plug in a tutorial, but many users of the site have had problem free dealings with him, and the product offered is of very good value.

As there is already a tutorial on how to change the bulbs in the MFD HERE, I’ve decided not to duplicate it, and instead concentrate on the dash clocks.

Firstly, you’ll need a few tools to do the job. The main one you need is a T20 Torx bit, and a multi headed screwdriver/ ratchet adaptor. You’ll also need a narrow flat headed screwdriver, and a table knife. A Torx driver is also much easier to use, than the ratchet adaptor if you have one.

First, undo the two screws right at the bottom of the dash near the foot wells (1). With those two screws out, you now need to remove the storage tray before the panel will slide down. There are two flaps that hold the tray in place (2). Using the screwdriver, bend one of the flaps down, while pulling the top of the tray out and downwards. When a bit of a gap has opened up, wedge the knife in the gap, and keep some pressure on it. Now lever down the other flap, and the tray should hinge forward, and then pull out. The panel should then pull off by pulling it down from the bottom with a bit of force.

You will now see the two screws holding on the dial surround panel (3) & (4). Undo these using the torx driver again. Now undo the screw underneath the top of the dial surround. If you do not have a ratchet adaptor, you’re going to have to use the torx bit, and some pliers. Not ideal, but saves having to go buy one, although there not all that expensive.

Before the dial surround can be removed, the steering column shroud must be removed first. Start by turning the wheel 90°. You will notice a small flap that latches the two pieces together. Using the flat blade screwdriver, pop the flap up (5). Turn the wheel 180° and do the same the other side. The top part of the shroud will now lift out. There are 3 screws holding the bottom piece on. Two on top (6), and one underneath (7). All three are silver screws. Also after un-doing the bottom screw, undo the screw holding on the steering wheel rake handle (7). Remove the key position indicator around the key hole by placing the flat bladed screwdriver behind the rubber, and simply pull it off. Pull the bottom half of the shroud down, pull the rake adjuster down just enough so it’s not locked in place, and then slide the shroud over the rod. You can now remove the dial surround panel. This may be easier to do if you unclip the wiper/indicator stalks by pressing the clips in (8), and sliding them out.

Now all that’s left is to take out the dials themselves. These are held in place by two screws at each bottom corner (9), and a clip at the top. Remove the screws, push the clip up, and the dials will slide out.

Now all that’s left to do is to replace the bulbs with the LED’s. Simply turn the bulbs 90° and lift them out. The bulbs labelled A, B and C are for the main illumination of the dials. The bulb labelled E on the dash is for the odometer illumination (10). Remember when fitting the LED’s that they will only work one way. Be sure you’ve got them all the right way before refitting all the dash panels!

And the finished result:

Hope this is of some use to people

[Edited on 10-03-2004 by Rob H]
Scotty_B

9th Mar 04 at 23:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Couldn't put it better myself.

[Edited on 09-03-2004 by CorSRi_BT]
Noonster

9th Mar 04 at 23:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But seems really complicated
Rob H

9th Mar 04 at 23:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Noonster19

But seems really complicated

Nah its not. Ive been very detailed in my description, so as to make it clear exactly what needs to be done. In reality its not that hard, and is really self explanitory .
Noonster

9th Mar 04 at 23:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So where you get the LEDS??
Rob H

9th Mar 04 at 23:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cobra 148,
Noonster

9th Mar 04 at 23:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just read your other thread

Thanks
cobra148

10th Mar 04 at 00:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rob, you have any experience with the switches in a C? I can supply you the bits for free if you want to experiment.
Rob H

10th Mar 04 at 00:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by cobra148
Rob, you have any experience with the switches in a C? I can supply you the bits for free if you want to experiment.

Aww man, don't start this again! . I had enough trouble doing it in my B . Might have a go at taking the heater panel bit out tomorrow and see what that uses. Will need to make a trip to the scrappy before i start fiddling with switches, although im not keep on doing it cause its all computer controlled on these things .
Rob H

10th Mar 04 at 00:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

However, i am keen on getting my leccy window switches blue
Rob H

10th Mar 04 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TTT for those that missed it yesterday
neiliosxi

10th Mar 04 at 14:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The heater panel is easy.
1. take off the front panel with a screwdriver, small clips like these holding it on but hidden:

2.There is a small white cover on the leds, this just pulls off.
3. pull on the led's, they will come out but its not easy!
4. remove the new led's from the plug & play holder.
5. push them in where the old 1's came out, again they only work one way so fiddle with them til they are both working.
6.Refit plastic bits.
SLSXi

10th Mar 04 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have you asked the mods to stick this in the tutorials?
Rob H

10th Mar 04 at 14:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you tried this and had it working? Ive just tried putting in an old LED i had from doing my switches on my b, and when you put one of the prongs in, it shorts out the connection. Seems for some reason the little connectors that are opposit each other are opposite charges, so when you even take the bulb out and turn on the lights, it shorts out the other bulb .
Rob H

10th Mar 04 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SLSXi
have you asked the mods to stick this in the tutorials?

Yup. U2U'd trotty to ask him to move it in there. does everyone else have the same problem as me whereby if you go off the page, and then come back onto it, the pictures start re-loading again, rather than already being there like with most pics?
neiliosxi

10th Mar 04 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have both bulbs working, i had to try about 4 different 1's before they would both stay on, i fitted the left 1 first and had my side lights on so they came on as soon as the connection was made. they have been alright for bout 6 months now.
cobra148

10th Mar 04 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you take the led out of the Osram type holder and try to fit it in the small wedge type bulb holder in the heater panel, there is a very good chance of it shorting out.
For the heater panel, I have some purpose made leds that plug straight in.
Rob are the bulbs in the C heater the same as in the B, if they are mine will plug straight in.
Rob H

10th Mar 04 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup . You get my E-mail?.
neiliosxi

11th Mar 04 at 09:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

grrrrrrr i am gonna order some more led's soon rob so i will take a few of those! if i can get back in without cracking the paint on the centre console
Will_Sport

13th Aug 04 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haynes manual is the best friend for the job, made dials easy on my B but the heater panels where more tricky, lost of lot of skin trying to unhook the 10,000 clips for all the heat controls etc, but it is worth it cos it looks smart now.
blundey

13th Aug 04 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

anyone have the actual white dial surrounds for sale? as mine is black as standard?
aza_vxr

18th Apr 12 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i cant see the pictures in this post, would be a massive help if you could send them me. cheers
tom130691
Premium Member

18th Apr 12 at 21:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

probably becuase its 8 years old
aza_vxr

18th Apr 12 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh yeah hahaha! do you no of any recent tutorials for the same thing?

New Poll