corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Corsa 1.2 16v engine problem - warning light comes on

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Corsa 1.2 16v engine problem - warning light comes on
Gaston

User status: Offline
   4th Feb 04 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi everybody

Couldn't find any information like this in the archive so perhaps someone out there could help.

Have a S-reg Corsa 1.2 16v "Breeze". Problem is that the engine is 1) Feeling weaker and weaker. 2) Hesitates for a couple of seconds when accelerating from standing in 1st gear (at redlights) 3) On the motorway doing about 75 mph (which seems to be near top speed now) when trying to accelerate the same hesitation plus the engine warning light comes on. Goes off again when backing of the accelerator and return to legal speed.

What is this, air supply, fuel, spark, electronics? Age?

Cheers,
Ben
Adam-D

4th Feb 04 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if the engine light stays on for 30 secs or more then it will have logged a fault and u can find out that way
when was the plugs/leads fuel filter last changed?
Gaston

4th Feb 04 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont know - wife's car! But always Vauxhall serviced so I assume plugs have been changed. Perhaps filter and leads could need replacing...
Adam-D

4th Feb 04 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

check condition of leads do they look like new of old cracked etc
id get the plugs changed anyway vaux wont itd cost them money
MikeH

4th Feb 04 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My car used to hesitate very badly from the lights.

It's worse in the summer.

I fixed it to some extent by using a higher octane fuel. Shell Optimax..

So i think it may be caused by pinking... the knock sensor may be retarding the timing causing a hesitation.

My engine management has come on just once.... briefly.

If your has been on for more than 30 seconds there will be a fault listed and the ecu may be running on an emergency setting causing your reduced top speed.
Gaston

4th Feb 04 at 14:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi MikeH

I know pinking... oh those days under the bonnet of my MGB...

A couple of questions now:
- how do I check a listed fault
- how do I reset ecu, disconnect battery for some time?
- I can always try higher octane, but is there another way of adjusting pre-ignition (a take it turning the distributor is out of the question :lol
Adam-D

4th Feb 04 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do aseach u can do the "paper clip" test and that will tell you i wouldnt reset ecu till ive checked it for listed faults

only way to adjust ignition erm i think is the timing belt but i wouldnt do that
could just be the plugs????
or it could be the knock sensor as mike says
trial and error get the ecu checked for listed fault then rest ecu
plugs n leads arnt that expensive then its onto sensors etc

[Edited on 04-02-2004 by Adam-D]
MikeH

4th Feb 04 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To get the ecu fault code you can either use a fault code reader from halfords or you can use a trick with a paperclip.... search on here....

Even if you reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery i don't think it removes fault codes... that has to be done by a dealer (someone tell me if i'm wrong).

Erm is distributorless ignition (DIS) so no you can;t tune the distributor. Not sure how you could adjust it, mine prolly needs the same doing.

New Poll