corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » EGR valve

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author EGR valve
topshot_2k
Banned

User status: Offline
27th Jan 04 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive read a few posts on this, is it the motor that puts exhausts air back into manifold to heat the CAT up? is it worth removeing or does it mess things up? and finally how do u remove it and 'block' it up????

cheers guys
topshot_2k
Banned

27th Jan 04 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ANYONE???
mike16v

27th Jan 04 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not exactly sure what it does, think it just controls the flow of gasses going out of the exhaust, mine played up abit a while back and the car really stuggled to idle
Aussie GSi

28th Jan 04 at 02:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey lads.

The EGR valve is a valve that recirculates unburned gases, generated at low engine speeds, back into the engine to improve emissions.

At low engine speeds, the valve is in the open position, allowing exhaust to flow back into the inlet manifold to be re-burned. As the engine speed rises, it (gradually??) closes off, forcing all exhaust gas out the exhaust system.

These valves get blocked up with carbon, choking the movement of the valve and causing them to stick in the open position. This means that exhaust gas is continuously flowing through the engine. Sensors say to the computer "what the fcuk?", the computer has a fit, and throws a little orange light at you. At this point your steering wheel or the first object in sight gets a kiss from your fist.

You can't just reef the EGR out of the engine, unfortunately, as it's connected by a wire to the ECU, providing it with data (EGR position, I assume). You CAN however, block it off. There is a gasket between the EGR and the inlet manifold. It's like a wierd diamond shape, with 2 big holes in the middle of it (do a search for 'X16XE - Blocking off EGR valve' or something like that, I've posted recently - got a pic in it). If you make a blanking plate the same size/shape as this, blocking off the 2 big centre holes, and replace the gasket with it, the exhaust gases won't flow back into the intake anymore, and the engine is happy again.

It's common for the Idle control valve to get chocked up also, when the EGR dies, apparently. I had to have mine cleaned recently, and was told this by GM, hence the reason why the idle gets a bit sticky. Have this cleaned when you have the blanking plate installed also.

Hope helps buddy.

C

[Edited on 28-01-2004 by Aussie GSi]
mike16v

28th Jan 04 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

top man
topshot_2k
Banned

28th Jan 04 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea thanks buddy.
i got 14XE engine tho, 1.4 16v (1996) is it the same?
so when u block it off do u remove the motor thingy that recirculates the gasses or do u leave it and just block it off?
Mossy01772

28th Jan 04 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I removed mine about 4 months ago, yes you do have to make a blanking plate, be sure to use the gasket thats already there, remove all the motor and trunking thats bolted down, there is also one thin pipe near the header tank that will need blocking up with a small bolt, all my mates have done theirs, 1.4 engines and 1.6 engines, the result is more torque at in low revs and when my mate first got his done he beat me easily when racing, hope this helps
mike16v

28th Jan 04 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

surely gicves u less miles to the gallon?
Mossy01772

28th Jan 04 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats what i thought, but its hardley changed, but maybe thats because i am almost always in high revs so i don't notice it to much, a fiver usually get me 40 miles, thats decatted with an induction kit,
mike16v

28th Jan 04 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats not bad at all, i dont rev it much at all and only get 40-45
Aussie GSi

29th Jan 04 at 03:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by topshot_2k
yea thanks buddy.
i got 14XE engine tho, 1.4 16v (1996) is it the same?
so when u block it off do u remove the motor thingy that recirculates the gasses or do u leave it and just block it off?

I'd think so mate.

I haven't actually done this mod myself yet, though I'm having it done in the next week or so. From what I gather, the motor recirculator thingy, IS actually the EGR valve itself. That needs to stay in the engine, as it is connected to the ECU (as I mentioned before). Basically, all you have to do, is block it off with the blanking plate between the EGR and the inlet, and that renders the EGR system ineffective. Sweet as?

Hope I've been of help mate.

C
Mossy01772

29th Jan 04 at 12:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On mine I have removed the recirculator and unplugged the eletrical conector, if you do leave the thing in you will still have to take the thin rubber pipe off and blank it off with a bolt, i have pic available if any one wants them, cheers
ffls

29th Jan 04 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just block the damm thing
With a tuned engine like mine it gave a boost all over the rev range
I was surprised (more O2 for the combustion process)
Aussie GSi

30th Jan 04 at 05:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah Mossy, have you got a pic mate?

Thanks dude.

C

New Poll