corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » EGR valve

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author EGR valve
Dav

User status: Offline
28th Nov 03 at 00:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had my car at a garage today and they said this is the reason my engine managment light is on, a faulty EGR valve. Would that be right?
They stripped and cleaned it but the problem still persists
Don't want to sound stupid here but what exactly does it do? And where would I find it on a 1.2 16v?

Anyone had this problem before?
How much for a new or reconditioned EGR valve?

Cheers
Stoneyginger
Premium Member

28th Nov 03 at 01:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had the problem but you will usually find that once the EGR valve goes that the Idle Control valve goes, fix both out and you should be fine. Seems a common problem with these engines. EGR valve takes warm air and pumps it into the outlet manifold where it is sent to heat up the Catalyst. Dont really need it in this country as it doesn't really come into effect but it is a pain in the ass.
flipmo

28th Nov 03 at 01:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the egr valve recirculates exhaust gasses to improve emissions. they aint cheap to repair either the part alone costs over £100 and to replace u need to remove inlet manifold drain coolant etc. just block the holes off.
Stoneyginger
Premium Member

28th Nov 03 at 02:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you dont HAVE to remove all that stuff i saw my EGR and my Idle control valve get done in front of my face in 2 hours. Just took the Expansion tank off and Roy got into everything no bother though he is a vauxhall Guru ken
flipmo

28th Nov 03 at 02:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice one. your avatar is tops, is it you? lol
Dav

28th Nov 03 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice one, cheers guy.
Just off the phone and got a reconditioned EGR valve for £35. Quite a difference from the £190+vat Vauxhall price I was quoted from the garage yesterday!

These sound hard to fit tho, so I'll probably get it done by someone else and get them to check the idle control valve while they're at it.

Thanks again
Kerry

28th Nov 03 at 09:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had egr problems so i ran my car with it disconnected for a while and it ran 100% so i blanked it off. like flipmo says it takes a tiny tiny amount of exhuast gasses and puts them back into the inlet something to do with helping to breakdown carbon dioxide. hence the name Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve

vx recommened this valve be cleaned every 40k miles and is best using electrolysis but carbon cleaner does the trick just as well. but for £35 which is a really good price then u may as well get it changed.

have a look in haynes manual or u2u wolf in welsh clothing i think u will find the procedure of changing it is very straight forward. i know on the vectra it is literally sat on top of the engine but when me and mo tried locating it on his corsa it seemed a little hard to get to
Cybermonkey

28th Nov 03 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stoneyginger
I've had the problem but you will usually find that once the EGR valve goes that the Idle Control valve goes, fix both out and you should be fine. Seems a common problem with these engines. EGR valve takes warm air and pumps it into the outlet manifold where it is sent to heat up the Catalyst. Dont really need it in this country as it doesn't really come into effect but it is a pain in the ass.

I dont know who's right, but my understanding is that the EGR pumps exhaust gases straight back into the inlet manifold to be recycled by the engine again and again. There is also a system for cold starts where the engine holds high revs until the car has warmed up.
Kerry

28th Nov 03 at 10:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.ttzd.com/tech/egrtech.html

explains all there
Dav

28th Nov 03 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hopefully I should have the part by Monday and get it replaced during next week. I'll have a look thru my Haynes and decide wehter I can do it myself or not.
The car is driving absolutely fine right now but I just want the orange dash light to go off coz it bugs me driving at night

Thanks again tho.
Kerry

28th Nov 03 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it might just want resettin mate to clear the fault code
flipmo

28th Nov 03 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cybermonkey24
quote:
Originally posted by Stoneyginger

I dont know who's right, but my understanding is that the EGR pumps exhaust gases straight back into the inlet manifold to be recycled by the engine again and again. There is also a system for cold starts where the engine holds high revs until the car has warmed up.

its the secondary air pump that does the latter job u mention its a big black round thing sits infront of the battery
paulr202000

28th Nov 03 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if your car is a 1.2 16v then the egr valve is on the right hand side of the head and is adodel to fit any monkey could change it. but if i was u i would drain some water out of otherwise u will fill your exhaust with water and the cat wont like it. you only ahve to take the header tank off it is a 1.4 or 1.6 16v.

New Poll