corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Amp Problems

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Amp Problems
H

User status: Offline
5th Jan 04 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just got myself a new Kenwood HU today and im trying to wire it up to my amp. I followed the manual and connected it to what i belive to be the correct wire, however when i start up the car the amp flashs on for about a second then off again. Its a Sony Xplode amp and it was working fine before i got my new HU. According to the Manual its wired up right.

My HU is Kenwood KDC7024

Anyone have any ideas?
Dom

5th Jan 04 at 18:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds like remote lead problems to me mate. Check the length of the remote lead for any breaks, or it could be connecting to earth, so check that too.
When you mean flashes, is it an error light or sumthing on the amp? or does it turn of for a split second then go off again? Check all connections on your amp, make sure nothing touching metal etc And do the same on the HU end and at last resort wack your old HU back in and see if that works...you could have a dodgy HU.
I take you havnt touched the amp at all? you just took out the old HU and replace it with ya kenny?
Richie

5th Jan 04 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yesh this is usually a ground problem for the amp for a dodgy remote connection.
H

5th Jan 04 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea Flash's on then off again. Was just a straight swap apart from that amp wire. I will go check and see what i find
H

5th Jan 04 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right i have checked all wires around the HU. I put the old HU bk on and the amp wouldnt work....so from taking one HU and putting another HU in somthing has happend to the amp I will have to go over it 2moro to see if i can find a problem round that area.
Dom

5th Jan 04 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right time to get out your multimeter and buzz out all of your power connections Start with the remote lead, make sure that it isnt damaged, then buzz it against the ground of the car, maybe tug it a little whilst doing, just to see if movement is effecting it (dodgy lead etc). Then check all connections on your amp, is there power going to it? got a good ground? check fuses too, on amp, battery and HU. Double check the wiring around the HU, maybe you have cut into one of them while putting the HU in
Start from front to back make, and double check everything, otherwise you'll be there for an age
H

5th Jan 04 at 20:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea thats the plan, cheers bud
H

7th Jan 04 at 10:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

still had no joy, im just wondering though, i noticed its a 40 am fuse in the bk of the Amp and only 30 on the actual amp power cable, maybe now that my HU has more power i may need a bigger Wattage wiring kit??

Any ideas anyone?
Dom

7th Jan 04 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you amp power cable has nothing to do with your HU, unless you've run a direct power cable from you HU to the battery via the sub power feed (which you shouldnt do really).
As for fuses, if its 40amps on the amp fuse, then the inline one on the AMP power cable should equal the total of whats connected...so in this case 40amps, unless you have connected your HU power to the same power feed, in which case add the fuses in the back of your HU to the amp fuse and wack that in the inline fuse on the power cable

I take it though, none of the fuses have blown? Check ya HU, amp, inline fuse and a go through the fuses near the steering wheel + under the bonnet if there any (didnt think corsa's have fuses under the bonnet )
Btw, you buzzed out all of the cables? they fine i take? And your amp is getting power (wack multimeter between the + & - of your amp)? Switch on your HU, then wack the multimeter between the remote lead and ground and you should get 12v at around 500milliAmps.
After all of that mate, time to try your amp in someone elses setup or borrow or borrow one to see if you can get it to switch on (dont connect up the sub, otherwise if it is a bigger amp, then fuses will start to go pop )

Hope you get it sorted soon mate
H

7th Jan 04 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorted it m8. The problem was the power cable running from the Amp to the Battery, the was 12v on the battery end but when it got to the amp it was only 6v So ive changed it and its all running fine. Cheers for all your help on this one bud, what a pain in that arse
Dom

7th Jan 04 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice one mate
bit curious on how the fook it could drop 6v down 3 odd metres of cable I would keep an eye on it mate though, just for a little while and see if it does it again (i doubt it), but thats a new one for me mate

[Edited on 07-01-2004 by VisibleMan]

New Poll