corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » whats wrong with my car:( Help!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author whats wrong with my car:( Help!
M4rk P

User status: Offline
3rd Nov 03 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok started car up and everything was ok. got to the end of my road and cd player dimmed and shut down? so i turned the car off to see if the cd player was ok when i started the car again. hmmm it wouldnt start. so my bro came and jump started it off his car and it was ok. about 10 mins later all the dials stopped working so i didnt know how fast i was going, then all interior lights stopped, then the indicators didnt work, then only one headlight worked, then the car conked out again? so my bro had to jump start the car again and it just made it home? new battery? alternator?
Kerry

3rd Nov 03 at 10:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id say alternator as obviously the battery aint charging
most garages or car shops will test them both for u for free
combatprojex

3rd Nov 03 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds like a new battery is in order anyways mate
Kerry

3rd Nov 03 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if it was the battery once started it would run ok until it just wouldnt start again unless it was totally buggered but surely it would of shown signs ages ago

i reckon alternator ive seen it happen to a mates orion before (ford i know but stil)
M4rk P

ok thanks guys
--DAN--

The exact thing happened to my car, turned out to be a bad earth, which blew all the fuses.
Adam-D

3rd Nov 03 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aye batt alternator
could be ecu????
dogy immob
what car engine spec??
M4rk P

3rd Nov 03 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wont be ecu as its a 1.5td lol
ive ordered a new battery anyway and im gunna check the earthing points when i change it. if it still dont work then im gunna have to fix the alternator or buy a new one.
Gambit

3rd Nov 03 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or buy a recon one with your's in exchange
M4rk P

3rd Nov 03 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good plan! but hopefully its just a dead battery. was leaking acid at one point i think, had to drill a hole in the top and put a tube in it.
M4rk P

4th Nov 03 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

got my new battery on and it works a treat glad it wasnt the alternator!
Kris TD

4th Nov 03 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its the battery, fucking coincidence but mine is doing it now too, argh, getting a 70amp one 2moro woohoo
broster
Premium Member

4th Nov 03 at 22:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it will be the altinator mate, i had the same prob on my car, wait till uv done about 150miles and a few engine starts, itll be flat again! ull end payin another £50-60 for an altinator!
Kerry

4th Nov 03 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes it would be worth your while gettin the alternator tested mate im telling u
broster
Premium Member

4th Nov 03 at 22:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as kerry says get it tested, i broke down on the m6 with a knackered altinator, had to get the rac to put a new battery on so i could drive home, car worked fine but started to die again after 250miles, then the altinator went on!
Kris TD

5th Nov 03 at 00:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by broster
it will be the altinator mate, i had the same prob on my car, wait till uv done about 150miles and a few engine starts, itll be flat again! ull end payin another £50-60 for an altinator!

try 400 quid, diesel one is well expensive cos 1. its japanease and 2 it has the vacuum pump attached to it, trust me my dad knows what hes doing, hes worked with cars his entire life, it was the battery and its the same on mine, both batterys were on there last legs and the cold weather and short journeys has killed em.
uprated

5th Nov 03 at 09:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my mums corsa C has a similar problem occasionally where the radio wont work and the dials shut off, but the garage said there was nothing wrong with the car whatsoever and it was one of those things
broster
Premium Member

5th Nov 03 at 10:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but if its the battery then the car will still run as the altinator shud give enuff power to run it, the batttery is not in use when driving, the altinator does the work, didnt no the diesel ones were so expencive, gutting!!!
Gambit

5th Nov 03 at 10:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u iant gonna pay £400 for a recon alternator
Kris TD

5th Nov 03 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by broster
but if its the battery then the car will still run as the altinator shud give enuff power to run it, the batttery is not in use when driving, the altinator does the work, didnt no the diesel ones were so expencive, gutting!!!

true, but this has only happened from cold when the engine is still using the glow plugs, when the stereo is on fans on full and rear window heater and lights. its the nackered battery getting overloaded and cos so much is being used at once it didnt have enough juice to cope. the battery was on its last legs anyway, been in the car for 4 years.

New Poll