corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Apex Suspension = Bouncey and Hard....................but is it...............

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Apex Suspension = Bouncey and Hard....................but is it...............
Nath

User status: Offline
31st Oct 03 at 00:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the shocks or the springs that are renound for being hard and bouncey? The thing is i have a full apex kit on my car and it is really bouncey, uncomfortabley so at times. I am tempted to buy some new springs but i am unsure if this would sort my problem.

What springs are good? G-Max? Eibach?............................
Greasemonkey

31st Oct 03 at 00:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got a full suspension kit by Apex and trust me mate bouncy is nothing, try having just lowering springs now thats bouncy, i find the ride ok although i am getting some G-max 60mm springs to go lower soon so i will let ya know
Nath

31st Oct 03 at 00:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh i'm down 60mm on apex shocks and springs and it seems too boucney to me. Tempted to try some different springs.
Kerry

31st Oct 03 at 01:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your springs determine how hard the ride is ure shockers just take the shock out

just get coilovers
OFcorsa

31st Oct 03 at 08:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kerry not everyone is as rich as you!
Kerry

31st Oct 03 at 08:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

coilovers arnt that much more than a decent set of springs and u pay for wot u get. if u havnt been in a car with coilovers try it u will be very impressed u can barely tell u have sports suspension yet the handling is 200% better

and im not rich im good at saving
broster
Premium Member

31st Oct 03 at 10:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kerry

if u havnt been in a car with coilovers try it u will be very impressed u can barely tell u have sports suspension yet the handling is 200% better

hummm...i beg to differ, depends how low u go! mines low and u no its low when ur in it, but the equilivent springs and dampers will be alot harsher that coil overs

[Edited on 31-10-2003 by broster]
Kris TD

31st Oct 03 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u think 60mm apex is bouncy, try stepping in my car then.
vibrio
Banned

31st Oct 03 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
the shocks or the springs that are renound for being hard and bouncey? The thing is i have a full apex kit on my car and it is really bouncey, uncomfortabley so at times. I am tempted to buy some new springs but i am unsure if this would sort my problem.

What springs are good? G-Max? Eibach?............................

I had apex on my sporting. it was shite. put OE stuff back on
Kris TD

31st Oct 03 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ahh the ghost is back
Nath

2nd Nov 03 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So it is the springs then? No chance of getting coilovers, trying to limit my spending on my corsa as its going next year. Just fed up with getting sea sickness everytime i drive somewhere.

Plus i need new bumpstops which cant be helping the ride quality.
TOMAS

2nd Nov 03 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bounce is the damper!! Basically you re-bounding too much which gives you the bouncy effect. You'll probably find that your bumpstops are too hard OR the dampers are begining to wear out. Springs usually effect the compression rate.
At 60mm with 'regular' dampers and spring you WILL be running into the bumpstops, this tends to give BAD handling and wears dampers VERY quickly due to their being very little compression travel.
Its GREAT for giving a slam with minimal scrub but has the bad side effects too, its hard but you have to compromise unless you want to keep replacing parts.
From experience I recomend 60mm with coilovers, it gives a GREAT ride as you are not running into the bumpstops as much but you may find you get a little more scrub as the shockers usually have a little more compression travel.
Nath

2nd Nov 03 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The shocks are 2 months old so its not them. Bumpstops are pretty knackered, they need replacing soon. Still wanna try different springs though. Mine are looking shitty and old now.

[Edited on 02-11-2003 by Nath]
TOMAS

2nd Nov 03 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You may find that the car is sitting on the bumpstops i.e your springs probably lower to 70mm but the bumpstops are holding it back up at 60mm.
If that is the case then new 60mm or even 50mm springs would probably help. What bumpstops are you using, GM standard ones are pretty good but dont last long - approx 6K miles.
Powerflex last AGES but are pretty hard, if your car is sitting on bumpstops with a hard compound then it will make it horrendous
Best bet is to take out the bumpstops (but DONT drive it) and see if your car sits with the dampers bottomed out (turn wheels to full lock and look), if thats the case the springs lower too much (due to weight of car/age) and some new 60's or 50's with fresh bumpstops would sort it.

[Edited on 02-11-2003 by TOMAS]
Nath

2nd Nov 03 at 22:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm thinking new GM bumpstops (i am running GM at the minute) and new 50mm or 60mm springs.

Any idea how much GM bumpstops cost TOMAS? Gonna try new bumpstops first before spending out for new springs. Can change the suspension myself so labour charges arent important.
TOMAS

3rd Nov 03 at 09:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I remember rightly I think they are approx £12 each. You should really have a look how low without bumpstops, then you can gauge if the springs are too low.
tay_lor

3rd Nov 03 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

got my -40 apex kit on at weekend and it bangs over harsh bumps is this cos its bedding in or do i need shorter bumpstops?
TOMAS

3rd Nov 03 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Banging (metal on metal) usually means that the bumpstops arent doing their job. By banging do you mean a physical THUMP through the chassis that rattles all the dash, or just noise? What bumpstops are you using?
Nath

3rd Nov 03 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TOMAS i've had the car down without bumpstops before and its fucking low! Couldnt turn full lock, not in a million, this is with 7"x16" wheels however. Sounds like new springs are deffo needed then from what i've read.
Makarus

4th Nov 03 at 01:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Bumpstops are £16.50 each from Vauxhall.

I have Pi Shocks and GMax springs, mine handles like a gokart but bangs a bit, but thats because I need new bump stops. Would love coilovers but not for a 1.2.
ArdenSXi

4th Nov 03 at 02:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Recently bought koni bump-stops, stopped the car bottoming out. Going to get coil-overs now tho, mainly for the looks and adaptibility (15"-17"). Had koni adjustables, top notch, just got bored.
spike

4th Nov 03 at 13:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well ive just had a set of apex springs fitted to my corsa c and they are as stiff as fook. so far there is no bounce wot so ever and it handles like a gokart.
Cybermonkey

4th Nov 03 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

H&R for quality suspension
TOMAS

4th Nov 03 at 15:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ya a lot of cars handle like rock hard go-karts with new dampers/springs but believe me after 15k miles they are awfull. Yeah sounds like the springs are too soft/low for your dampers.
Upgrade to some 50mm or 60mm new springs with GM bumpstops OR Jamex rubber stops and if neccessary trim them down a little so that the car doesnt sit on them too much but leave enough so that they can do their job properly. I seriousley recomend Coilovers, saves a lot of hassel and messing about, even if they cost that bit more than regular style springs/dampers
Adam-D

4th Nov 03 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

me bein dumb
where do bumpstops go?
on the shock piston itself on the front and inside the spring on the back??

[Edited on 04-11-2003 by Adam-D]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll