corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Mods Power Tripping...

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Mods Power Tripping...
Paul_J

User status: Offline
23rd Oct 03 at 23:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

WARNING - THIS IS A LONG RANT - do not read if you haven't managed to finish the picture book 'Spot the dog'.

I was just reading half of the trash can post titles and half of them don't even deserve to be in the trash can!

I feel if a post breaks the ROC then yeh ok it should be put in there, but half the posts in the trash can may just be a little bit off the subject of corsa's - but not necisarily off subject of cars completely!

The thing is, This forum is called 'General Chat' - not 'ONLY CORSA TALK PLEASE OR YOUR ASS IS MINE'

And thats exactly what it should be, 'General Chat' ... Before the days of 'off day' general chat was used to post anything that didn't belong in the other forums. i.e. if you want to talk about ICE you post it in the ice forum - you don't post about how you raced someone in the tutourial section as it just doesn't work.

Yet, the mods are on such a power trip that they think anything slightly off topic should be moved / deleted.

Yes if a post has a lot of swearing and dirty images move it to off day, but if its generally a friendly post that people are commenting on leave it in General Chat. Until it breaks a ROC it shouldn't be trashed.

For example this post here, a mod will look at it and go - hmm, this isn't to do with corsa's and maybe move it to off day, or might look at it and go 'hmm this is making a statement against mods' and bin it...

this should not be happening. There is no rule saying - in General Chat your not allowed to talk about anything other than corsa's! and if there was - why call it General Chat? surely if someone has a problem with their corsa they will goto help + advice.

Just been having a lot of my posts binned / moved recently - and its starting to annoy me, yes ok if a post has something like links to pirate material it may be conflicting with the ROC (although its not hosted on the server, so shouldn't be a major issue) - but then a follow up post where its just pics and talking about the software with no links to pirate material then gets binned again its like WTF?

Correct me if I'm wrong - but wasn't offday supposed to be exactly that - if your having a 'OFF DAY' and want to post something like 'Your all ghey' post it in there. Instead it gets treated as a forum for posts that arn't 100% about corsa's - which isn't on, because when I make a post in General chat, I make a post there and not anywhere else because I may want a selection of people to see it and there's more chance of it being seen in the most popular section 'gen chat' than anywhere else... I personally rarely check Off day as its full of a lot of crap, but a lot of good posts get chucked there when they shouldn't of been and then disapear because the people that would of replied to the post arn't checking in off day for it!

Bla bla bla...

Rant over,

Paul J
Richie

23rd Oct 03 at 23:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lookout, Tim is online, all of you expect a good tellin off
Stone Cold Rattlesnake

23rd Oct 03 at 23:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yet another 5 page essay from Paul J
Paul_J

24th Oct 03 at 00:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yet another comment from ying about my 5 page essays
Trotty

24th Oct 03 at 00:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well worded Paul

The way I see it, and this is purely my own opinion, is that General Chat should just be car related - this is after all primarily a car website, not a chat room.

Ok, perhaps we need to look at how the two forums are classified admittidly but I think GC should be car related discussion only, and OD for everything else.

As I say, tis just my opinion but remember, this is a car website!? Why use GC as a chat room? If all non-car related threads were in OD then everyone knows how the situation stands surely?
kerzo

24th Oct 03 at 00:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes, like i have said before this should be general car chat then off day can be for everything else.....much easier to define where to put threads.

as it stands now general chat and off day are too similar IMO
Paul_J

24th Oct 03 at 00:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok then Trotty, but if that was the case, what do you use to filter the crap out of off day?

since people who will be posting 'general posts' maybe about what they did that day or something slightly non car related and people will be reading them...

and then suddenly - there's 20 'Poah' posts, where are you going to put them? you can't put them into off day as they're already in off day - but they're annoying the geniune people who are posting normal posts.

You see what I'm saying mate,

Basically, you have the specific forums that if someone wants to make a comment about their corsa they can post into...

Then you have General Discussion which should be that - General Discussion providing its sensible / not completely unrelated to cars.

and finally Off Day for posts that are totally irrelevant - i.e. 'Your Ghey'

Either that or create another forum called 'Car talk' for people who wish to only talk cars, if you limit people on what they can or can't say and make millions of forums for each different topic they will rarely get used and no one will no which one to post in.

This is the exact reason why General discussion is so popular for people posting in it - its general... You just post it in there because it could be relevant to anyone who's browsing the forum.

What you need to do if you want to do your idea is rename 'off day' to 'off topic' and create another one called 'junk' ...

So any posts that arn't car related go to off topic or are posted in off topic in the first place and then any real trash in off topic i.e. a post saying 'Quack quack quack' goes to 'Junk'... still viewable but not deleted.

However, if you ask me - its a lot of fuss for nothing, if you think about it - that's basically just making things more complicated and it won't solve your problem.

As I said before - if someone wants something read by a large audience and to be read by the people they want it to be read by - they will always post it in the most popular forum!

Ok if you make a forum called 'off topic' everyone may constantly post in that and no one will post in / or check general discussion...

All seems a bit pointless to me - I think the mods need to be told exactly what to do, rather than deleting / moving everything that moves.

Paul J

[Edited on 24-10-2003 by Paul_J]
Paul_J

24th Oct 03 at 00:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

P.S. you say 'general discussion' should be about any chat thats car related otherwise it should be in off day?

how come a post someone made about that car game redline that was just simply posting pics of the cars they had made - got moved to off day - even though there was no comment on where to get the game from or pirate links at that point!!!

Paul J
Scotty_B

24th Oct 03 at 00:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think someone is trying to wear his keyboard out.
Paul_J

24th Oct 03 at 00:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hehe, yeh - I type pretty fast, so don't realise I've just written an essay =]

I just read a post about this matter in the premium forum ... I think changing the name of Off Day to Off Topic would be a good step in the right direction...

Paul J
Munchie

24th Oct 03 at 00:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Premium forum? whats that? ssssshhhh
Paul_J

24th Oct 03 at 00:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

=]

The thing which people forget though, is half the reason this site is so Active is because of this General Discussion forum!

People DO use it as a chat room, but thats why people are constantly around checking the new posts.

and thus when there are people constantly around, there's more chance someone will be around that can help with your car problem.

Paul J
Scotty_B

24th Oct 03 at 00:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I think changing the name of Off Day to Off Topic would be a good step in the right direction...

Or changing it to Non-Car Related Topics. and another one thats called All Arseholes Type in Here Please Topic.
Sam
Premium Member

24th Oct 03 at 06:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I never finished "Spot the Dog"...
Martyn
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

24th Oct 03 at 06:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
I never finished "Spot the Dog"...

I never finished it
Sam
Premium Member

24th Oct 03 at 06:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

paul_spurrell

24th Oct 03 at 08:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree with everything Paul_J says

It seems to be that alot more things are being deleted.

This is probably cause admin are worried someone might sue them and they just dont want to risk it.

Its a bit like never going outside cause you dont want to get mugged or something along those lines.

It gets too boring in the end.

SetH

24th Oct 03 at 09:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Yet, the mods are on such a power trip that they think anything slightly off topic should be moved / deleted.

No this is not the case, we have had conflicting instructions on what kind of posts should be in general chat and off day. We are not on a power trip just sometimes struggling to do a good job because there is a lack of definition between the two forums.

quote:
The way I see it, and this is purely my own opinion, is that General Chat should just be car related - this is after all primarily a car website, not a chat room.

Ok, perhaps we need to look at how the two forums are classified admittidly but I think GC should be car related discussion only, and OD for everything else.

As I say, tis just my opinion but remember, this is a car website!? Why use GC as a chat room? If all non-car related threads were in OD then everyone knows how the situation stands surely

I think Trotty has hit the nail on the head here. However I dont move non corsa stuff into off day, i just move posts that i consider constitute relatively meaningless shite. Im sorry i cant think of a better way to word that but its post like "Hello my cat has just died", or "i want to stick something in your ass" etc etc. There is such a high number of non sensical shite that is posted, and it is always the same group of users that post them. These are the type of posts that should go in off day.
Marc

24th Oct 03 at 09:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

god i love Trotty.
vibrio
Banned

24th Oct 03 at 09:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love Set he wants to stick somthing up my ass

fair enough have have off-day for everything else but if Steve want to post about crap in Off day why can't he. thats whats it's there for
SetH

24th Oct 03 at 09:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As long as its not offensive or breaches the disclaimer i would not have a problem with crap being posted in offday.
vibrio
Banned

24th Oct 03 at 09:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not car related posts just on my front page

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=97761

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=97752

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=97682

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=97779

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=97754

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=97758

vibrio
Banned

24th Oct 03 at 09:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SetH
As long as its not offensive or breaches the disclaimer i would not have a problem with crap being posted in offday.

yes but others do. the point of off day was to remove crap from GC. but stuff still gets deleted from from OD. if is against the disclaimer then fine but it ain't always.
paul_spurrell

24th Oct 03 at 09:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

here here
Shelly
Premium Member

24th Oct 03 at 09:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sometimes a genuine post is turned into a fully fledged handbag fight. people who come and use corsasport don't want to log in and find everyone bitching at everyone. so more often than not they get trashed.

a few posts developed that way last night which is why everyone is thinking we just delete stuff for the fun of it. the title of a post does not necessarily mean that it doesnt end up arguing.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Mods Power Tripping... 22 database queries in 0.1129682 seconds