corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » What do you think the motorway limit should be?

Poll: What do you think the motorway limit should be?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What do you think the motorway limit should be?
Tiger

User status: Offline
23rd Oct 03 at 10:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And give your reasons or suggestions.
Demo

23rd Oct 03 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kris TD

23rd Oct 03 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

80, cos 70 is a bit too slow, but there are still some shite cars on the road which shouldnt be if u know what i meen that still have crap brakes etc...
Marc

23rd Oct 03 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

80, cos its been proven that traffic will flow alot better @ this speed.
RichR
Premium Member

23rd Oct 03 at 10:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

should be similar system as they have in france - a varying speed limit dependant upon weather conditions - 80-85 clear conditions and 65-70 in severe conditions, utilising lit up signs for more than just warnings abotu going to sleep
Noonster

23rd Oct 03 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agree also definatly should be 80...... If duel carridges ways are 70 then WTF are motorways 70 also?? Thats well stupid.

Definatly 80
RichR
Premium Member

23rd Oct 03 at 10:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

plus the 70 mph speed limit was brought into action using the ford anglia as the "pace car" to test speeds and braking distances - these r still the same figures quoted in the highway code and by motoring organisations - the thing had 1960s tyres and drum brakes all round - go figure.
Tiger

23rd Oct 03 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
plus the 70 mph speed limit was brought into action using the ford anglia as the "pace car" to test speeds and braking distances - these r still the same figures quoted in the highway code and by motoring organisations - the thing had 1960s tyres and drum brakes all round - go figure.

Thats why i think the limit should be changed.
nik

23rd Oct 03 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rob H

23rd Oct 03 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive clicked 80, but i suppose it already is in some ways.

The problem is, the higher you raise the speed limit, the more people will break the spped limit IMO, which means that people who do 80 at the moment, will do 90. This is ok if everyone's doing the same speed, but increasing the speedlimit, wont change autie Ethil in her 850 Fiat panda, who insists on doing 50 mph. Its not the speed thats the problem, its the speeds that people are doing relative to each other.

At the moment, its uncommon to hear of people getting pulled for travelling at 80 MPH anyway, so its already artificially set at that speed.

Just my 2p's worth anyway

[Edited on 23-10-2003 by Rob H]
Tiger

23rd Oct 03 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BUT - a lot of typical Reps i see and dudes in nice beemers etc shift along at 100MPH in the third lane - i think if the limit was raised there should be consideration for road conditions, time, visability etc.

But i think that a lower tolerance should be applied at the same time - whereas people doing 80 in a 70 wouldnt get pulled but people doing 90 in an 80 should be pulled more frequently.
Noonster

23rd Oct 03 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about limits like 70mph in inside lane / 80mph in middle lane / and 90mph in the fast lane??? OR does that sound stupid
RichR
Premium Member

23rd Oct 03 at 10:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u'd be suprised - the roads in france utilise a far better system for speed enforcement - and most people sit at ca. the speed limit - very very few go much quicker - dont know about ne1 else but I sit about 80 on the motorway cause it feels comfortable - wouldnt go much quicker and also wouldnt go much slower unless condition forced it - Nooonster u couldnt have changeable lane limits - otherwise on a quiet motorway at nite - every1 would sit in the outside lane - ratehr than returning to the inside
Noonster

23rd Oct 03 at 10:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

- true, I just wanted to have a different suggestion to everyone else

Still think the limit should be 80mph though...... then again as Rob H said you rarely get stopped doing 80mph anyways.....

The other way to do it could be something like.....

80mph from 7am till 9pm and then a differnt speed at other times as theres not many other drivers on the road through the night??? What about that?
Marc

23rd Oct 03 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i very rarely go over 125mph pmsl
Rob H

23rd Oct 03 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Noonster19
80mph from 7am till 9pm and then a differnt speed at other times as theres not many other drivers on the road through the night??? What about that?

What about when the motorway's busy at night? On the way to Billingaquadrome the night before trax, it was 11 oclock, and the motorway was busy...
Noonster

23rd Oct 03 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

True - thats that out the window then
Tom

23rd Oct 03 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

should stay as it is, most people get away with doing 80 or 85, if it was raised people would take the piss and that would cause more accidents, police should have some sort of code of conduct thought becuase where 1 copper would nab you for doing 75 another would leave u alone at doing 80 (What I mean is, we would all know the speed limit to be 70, but the rozzers would know it to be 80if you get what I mean or is that stupid )
M2RTY

23rd Oct 03 at 10:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

should be 70, as everyone does 80, so in practicality it IS 80, legally it is 70

raise it to 80 and everyone will do 90

raise it to 100 and those who can will alwys to 110
Tiger

23rd Oct 03 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep but Martin - i was saying increase the limit to 80 but be more strict on the speed over that.
Rob H

23rd Oct 03 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tom D
police should have some sort of code of conduct thought becuase where 1 copper would nab you for doing 75 another would leave u alone at doing 80 (What I mean is, we would all know the speed limit to be 70, but the rozzers would know it to be 80if you get what I mean or is that stupid )

Not stupid, but couldnt happen. The speedlimit is what it is, and if you break it, then its down to the officers discression (to an extent) as to whether they pull you or not.
M2RTY

23rd Oct 03 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger
Yep but Martin - i was saying increase the limit to 80 but be more strict on the speed over that.

nah mate, wont happen, will have to employ a lot more people (costing more money) to deal with all the cases, its bad enough as it is at the moment

but there again, us car drivers one hell of a big income for the government (and get fuck all back in return)
nik

23rd Oct 03 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A lot will then do 90 yes, so clamp down big time on speeders over 80. The police don't bat an eye lid to drivers doing 80 so I don't see a problem, cars are much safer than they were when 70 mph was brought in. Anyone doing over 80 should expect a ticket I'd say
Mistamist

23rd Oct 03 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

think we should have autobahn's like ze germanz they have a lower accident rate than the uk and they have no limits.
RichR
Premium Member

23rd Oct 03 at 11:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

agree with tiger and Nick - raise the speed limit but hammer ne1 caught at 90+ - it wouldnt cost that much extra and would pay for itself in extra revenue
if the were to get rid of the camera ( gatso and truvelo) from places where theres no need ( 6 in my village which is less than a mile long and hasnt had an accident in years, and even then nothing more than a fender bender)

also it wouldnt cost that much more nowadays neway as the system is becoming digitalised and more automated and hence doesnt rely on nearly as many people

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » What do you think the motorway limit should be? 22 database queries in 0.0132241 seconds