corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » 4WD corsa?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 4WD corsa?
Dom

User status: Offline
6th Oct 03 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

High all,
Just had an crazy idea for a 4WD corsa, is it possible? Obviously ill need a big ass engine, 2.0 turbo or sumthing but its the 4WD bit im curious about. I know there isnt a kit or anything you can buy to do it (well i havnt see any) and therefore alot of the stuff with be custom, but is it actually possible IE: is there space available to place a shaft down the centre of the car etc.

Cheers all
Dom

[Edited on 06-10-2003 by VisibleMan]

[Edited on 06-10-2003 by VisibleMan]
MC Kustoms

6th Oct 03 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u will need to take the floor pan from a 4WD car and weld it onto the corsa
miles

6th Oct 03 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anything possible, just would require a lot of work.

Look at the 700bhp 4.0L 4wd Nova......0-60 in 2.82!
Gambit

6th Oct 03 at 14:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive seen a 4x4 Corsa Rally car before
Melville

6th Oct 03 at 14:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by miles

2.82 seconds

Dom

6th Oct 03 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

lol mate i wasn't thinking of 700bhp, but more like 200-300 lol
Yea i can see it being alot of work, but was wondering if its do able and obviously it is - although welding of a floor pan could be abit of a bastard Also trying to find one that will roughly fit could be abit of a git too...although im thinking that the panda 4wd floor pan might work..??

Gambit - got any more information of the 4x4 corsa rally car? googling brought up nothing

Cheers all
Dom
Gambit

6th Oct 03 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

only seen it at a Rally back in N.Ireland a few years ago. dont know anything about it soz
WaNtEd_CoRsA

6th Oct 03 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

regal r meant to be brng out a 4*4 kit
3CorsaMeal

6th Oct 03 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i found a load of stuff about it a while back, might be able to find it again.
Dom

6th Oct 03 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers all

3CorsaMeal - yea if you could mate, no rush though

Anybody got a rought idea how much it would cost to do the converstion? do you think there would be enough power from a 1.2 engine? or would it be better to wack in a 2.0/2.0 turbo? Also anybody got an ideas what it would be like to drive? never driven a 4wd so...

cheers again
Dom
mike16v

6th Oct 03 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u need the floorpan of a cally 4x4 turbo, cant pick 1 up for about £1500 for the complete car, and ofcourse that gives u a 204bhp turbo lump to put in with 6speed box. just alllooooooooot of work to do it
3CorsaMeal

6th Oct 03 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can't find anything
mike16v

6th Oct 03 at 15:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VisibleMan

do you think there would be enough power from a 1.2 engine?

Dom

6th Oct 03 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mike16v
quote:

do you think there would be enough power from a 1.2 engine?

Hey, it was a serious question
so your saying 1500 squid i would get the stuff to do it? i thought it would be more in the region of 5k+.
And when ya mean alot of work.....a good few months or what? Do you think i could take it someone to get it done?
Then again, is it worth it? And would there be a noticable differences (apart from speed etc)?

3CorsaMeal - dont worry about it mate, cheers anyways

Cheers all
Dom
O2re

6th Oct 03 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have a flash mag whit a kadett D (astra mk 1) whit the calibra 4x4 floor and turbo lump , anyone seen it ? i guess the german mags aint popular in uk ?
miles

6th Oct 03 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

German mags are in german, us english being poorly educated can only manage the one language!

a 4x4 1.2 would be awsome, your looking at 0-60 in about 4/5 seconds, top speed of about 160mph and the handling of a touring car on a track, but like a WRC car on the dirty stuff.
Dom

6th Oct 03 at 16:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
German mags are in german, us english being poorly educated can only manage the one language!

a 4x4 1.2 would be awsome, your looking at 0-60 in about 4/5 seconds, top speed of about 160mph and the handling of a touring car on a track, but like a WRC car on the dirty stuff.

huh? your pulling my leg mate, 0-60 in 4/5 secs from a 1.2 ?! you sure? i would have thought that power would have been dropped because the engine is having to power 4 wheels instead of 2

02re - you dont happen to have a scanner or digi cam or anything? if ya do would it be possible to scan/take pictures of the mag etc? PLEASE lol

btw i take it this hasnt been done before? And also the cally floor pan would fit a Corsa B alright?

Cheers all
Dom
miles

6th Oct 03 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was taking the p1ss. If you have to ask these questions then there is no chance in hell that you'll be able to do it.

There is no advantage of 4x4ing a 1.2, it would be slow as shit due to the extra transmittion losses and extra weight.

Its a major bit of engineering.
neophyterulez

6th Oct 03 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am also sure a have read about the 4WD Kadett D with the whole bottom of the calli.

I have searched all my books, but think I have left it to a friend of mine.

What I've found is a Record C with the motor, wheels and bottom of a Dodge Viper with an 8 litre V10with 394BPH and 620 NM at 3600 BPM.

This is also an option, but VRRRRRY expensive and not 4X4
RobHayes

6th Oct 03 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fozzy at power crazy motorsport in lincoln is in the process of building a 4WD turbo corsa using a calibra turbo back end welded in. apparently hes taking the spare wheel well out to make room for the rear diff etc. gonna take bout 3 months or summat. is it worth it? y not jus buy a standard 4WD car as a custom made 1 will fuck up. no doubt about it!
rob_watti

6th Oct 03 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

WOT U WOULD HAVE TO DO IS CUT THE CORSA FLOOR PAN OUT AND THE CALIBRA 4X4 ONE OUT AND BEFORE EVEN START TO WELD TO THE CORSA PLAN OUT HOW U R GUNA CUT AND SHUT THE CALIBRA FLOOR PLAN TO THE SAME SHAPE AS THE CORSA ONE WITHOUT MESSING UP THE SHAPE FOR THE PROP SHAFT AND DONT FORGET THE EXHAUST!! ALTHOUGH TO MAKE LIFE EASIER(EVEN THOUGH IT MAY NOT SOUND IT) I WOULD RUN THE EXHAUST UP INTO THE CAR JUS AFTER THE HANDBRAKE, TAKE THE BACK SEATS OUT AND RUN IT THROUGH THE BACK!! EVEN WHEN UVE GOT THE FLOOR PAN TO SHAPE UVE GOT TO THINK ABOUT THE REAR AXLE! AND MORE TO THE POINT SHORTENING IT. IF U CAN DO THE AXLE I WILL DO ALL THE REST OF THE WORK FOR YA!! IF I HAD THE FUNDING I WOULD HAVE A GO BUT I RECON ID GO THROUGH ABOUT 3 OR 4 CORSA SHELLS BEFORE I HAD IT!! ALSO U WOULD HAVE TO SHORTEN AND REBALANCE THE PROP SHAFT!!

JUST MY THOUGHTS FOR U.

AND NOT ALL CUSTOM JOBS GO WRONG IN THE NED ASLONG AS EVERTHING IS DOUBLE CHECK AND DONE TO A HIGH STANDARD, I WOULD RATHER HAVE A MAN MADE CAR THAN A MACHINE MADE CAR IF I KNEW IT WAS GUNA BE DONE TO A HIGH QUALITY!!

Dom

6th Oct 03 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RobHayesy not jus buy a standard 4WD car as a custom made 1 will fuck up. no doubt about it!

Because its an original idea and no one else has yet to do it (although someone is currently building one) and also it might be nice to drive - good handling and what not.

rob_watti - cheers mate I see where ya coming from, could be abit of a bastard with the prop and rear axel, although your idea of it sounds alright plus it keeps as much of the original shape of the corsa as possible, unlike welding a cally back end

However, it was only an idea i had and by the sounds of it, it would be a waste of time, although if i ever get the time and money maybe i will take this further, although ill prolly wait until someone else has done it
cheers all
Dom

p.s - RobHayes, do you know if the fozzy has pictures of the car at all (current stage etc)?
Ed Renshaw

6th Oct 03 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fozz @ Power Crazy is a top lad - the only person I trust to work on my car, and I'm certain that if anyone can do this then he can!

I'll try and get some pics if he will let me on Wednesday.
miles

6th Oct 03 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

plus it keeps as much of the original shape of the corsa as possible, unlike welding a cally back end

I can imagin half corsa half cally

The floor plan is not the back of the car. Its the bottom bit.

The 4wd twin engined nova has a cally front sub frame on the back, with cally front suspension, brakes etc (on the back)

New Poll