corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Cooler Engine-disconnecting EGR?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Cooler Engine-disconnecting EGR?
ffls

User status: Offline
18th Sep 03 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi mates,

I took off the EGR plug for the second time.
The light came on in the dashboard, but that's ok.
When i drive the car in anger, between 5 and 7 rpm for some time, the engine runs cooler and doen't pass 92 c deg.

My questions are:

Does anyone out there used a plate (gasket) to block the EGR valve, and if so did the light turned off?

What happens to the ECU if I simply disconnect the plug, the mixture is leaner or richer? (th haynes manual says that that the ECU will assume a pre define value, and enters in backup mode!)

I like the fact the engine is running cooler, and if you have more oxigen to feed the combustion more power will br released, isn't it?
ffls

18th Sep 03 at 16:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

techical gurus?
any help?
MikeH

18th Sep 03 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bet the engine is running rich, loss of power, poor economy and possibly cooler.

Plug it back in soft lad!
Adam-D

18th Sep 03 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think to remove it u have to get it chipped
i think it recirculates some exhaust gases to 1 heat the engine from cold and 2 to lower emissions
Juha GSi

18th Sep 03 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there is some way to get it out of work, and even wihtout the light, cant find the info now... but what comes to emissions they will be bit higher and perfomance little bit better. it runs cooler cos the exhaust gasses dont go through inlet manifold back to be burn.

but it itns worth to do because just wanting it not to work.
ffls

18th Sep 03 at 17:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hum...
But my car has a Mantzel powerbox, chip, k+n filter, mantzel group A exhaust and increased fuel pressure.
I destroyed a plug and a valve when driving at 137 mph because the car was running lean!
So the questions is, did someone out there fit the plate to the EGR, in order to fool the ECU?
Juha GSi

18th Sep 03 at 17:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you have a chip and you want to get the egr out of work, get it out and have the chip re-mapped, and tell them about it, that its running lean.
ffls

18th Sep 03 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But Juha I had to increase the fuel pressure using an hammer!

I think the car was running leaner because of the inlet manifold and the exhaust (big bore 63,5 mm).
I now check the spark plugs and they are just fine.
The purpose of the mod is to protect the engine because driving it between 5000 rpm and 7300 rpm makes the engine becoming hot (95, 95 Deg C) which is not good for the head gasket and head, even using a cooler thermostat as I do.
So if you can find that tip it would be fine, thanks.
Juha GSi

18th Sep 03 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i can found it in finnish but im not sure can i translate it to english...

have you read the A Graham Bell's, new motortechnic, tuning and adjusting?? not sure about the name but there is very good advice how to get it out of work properly,get it from haynes, shouldnt cost that much, and it will be told correctly...

and as i read it there is some hose attached to egr and it should be in its place but it should be blokced,f.ex ball from ball bearing, right size offcourse, in hose so air cant move throug that hose... or something like that, not sure as i said...

[Edited on 18-09-2003 by Juha GSi]
ffls

18th Sep 03 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you try I think I can understand you (I'm Portuguese:lol
I know the book you're talking about, its very good.
But I think that in the end its an worthwhile mod, because the purpose is to squeeze the last bhp from the engine while running it cooler.
Juha GSi

18th Sep 03 at 17:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

didnt know youre from portugal, ill try to find it and ill U2U it to you, and try to get something out of it.

dont expect it today migt be till tomorrow, im trying to find it.

its always worth it to get tuned engine run little bit cooler, specially when its hot...

New Poll