corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Any one with a shakey steering wheel

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Any one with a shakey steering wheel
Greasemonkey

User status: Offline
18th Sep 03 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My steering wheel on my GSI has been shaking like mad, at all speeds, driving and braking, had my disks checked the traking done the wheels balance recently had new drums and it didnt solve the problem, booked the car in for a handbrake cable yesterday and asked them about the shakey steering, turns out to be worn bushes on the lower arms, so if your trying to solve this problem too try looking at this. had both lower arms and bushes replaced and re tracked problem solved and man does the handling feel tight now!!!!
just some info i thought might help
TOMAS

18th Sep 03 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you on about wishbone bushes? Basically im having big problems with mine at the min... Ran it on bumpstops for a year and it seems to have done quite some damage in some way.

Sometimes my wheel shakes at certain speeds, sometimes it doesnt, also something definatley feels loose, in my estate where i live we have these silly little 1.5" curbs on our drives, if I hit mine at an angle it just feels like the wheels move about ever so slightly, its strange.

Also sometimes get this funny vibration through the wheel/car (especially when turning right on un-even ground for some reason) and you can actually hear like a dull grinding noise like rubber slipping on metal.

Ive jacked the car up and shook everything but cant feel any play at all in anything. Its recently had new coilovers so its not the legs and the tyres are deffo not scrubbing. Possibilites i think include:

Balljoints
Wishbone Bushes
Track rod ends
Steering Rack
Wheel bearings

But which one do I replace first, whats likely to have the most wear on it after being abused for 12K miles on rock hard bumpstops?
Kris TD

18th Sep 03 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i ahve a bit of play in mine, im gonna change all the bushes at some point.
Gambit

18th Sep 03 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

steering rack - is there much play when you wiggle the steering 10oclock - 2oclock when the wheels are dead straight?

balljoints - turn the wheel a qtr turn, and do the above again

wheel bearings - is there a noise coming from them? jack a wheel off the car, push & pull the wheel towards the engine - is there is play then it could be a loose driveshaft nut

wishbone bushes - if these are knackered then you'll hear a metal to metal noise when going over slight bumps

warped disks?
knackered top mounts maybe?

[Edited on 18-09-2003 by Gambit]
TOMAS

18th Sep 03 at 14:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Gambit, i'll check those things. Nothing feels loose at all, i do have ever so slight warped discs but nothing bad enough to cause the shakes i get when accelerating sometimes. I have shook everything in evry way and cant find owt. Think i''ll shove some polly bushes in the wishbones and see if it helps... if not, going for the balljoints next... Cheers again bud for the help.
Kris TD

18th Sep 03 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

could be a buckled rim also.
1.4Sport

18th Sep 03 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a shakey steering wheel so i got spacers for my wheels n tht sorted it
Icy

18th Sep 03 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mines stil judderin when brakin
Daimo B

18th Sep 03 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine shakes, when i reach about 120-125mph It just gets worse asthe speed gets up further

New Poll