corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » lowered my 1.2 8v, rear drums gettin very hot

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author lowered my 1.2 8v, rear drums gettin very hot
moddedcorsa

User status: Offline
11th Aug 03 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi, i lowered my 1.2 8v -40mm on FK suspension kit. The rear brake drums get pretty hot (discoloured the paint on drivers side) took hubs off, shoes were rubbin ever so slightly, so i adusted them, now theres no rubbing what so ever, but the drums still get warm (i drove 1 mile,on fairly twisty roads, then i checked the drums and they were pretty warm)

Is there any way of adusting the brake compensators?? As there in the pipework unlike the larger engined cars which had it on the rear beam.

please help
jjcymru

11th Aug 03 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the brake compensators dont change if u lower a 1.2, theyre fixed bias.

slacken the handbrake ajustment rod to see if this helps

otherwise ur shoes are sticking

put some copper grease on the outside edges of the shoes to stop em sticking and check the operation of the self adjuster mechanism.
Rob H

11th Aug 03 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could be a buggered wheel bearing I think .
jjcymru

12th Aug 03 at 08:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

jack up back wheel and turn it.

listen for grinding

try shaking it in and out to see how much free play there is.

BTW drums do get warm-ish they are brakes afterall albeit crap ones!
moddedcorsa

12th Aug 03 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks every 1, i forgot to add that the shoes and handbrake cable were new about 3 wks ago. ive took both hubs off, checked the self adusters etc, put it all back together, spun both wheels wen off the ground, no grinding now (was ever so slight b4, every 3/4 of a turn a slight rubbing noise could be heard) both wheel bearings are fine.

I think its caused by the plastic guide block things, as the aduster on the h/brake cable is almost tightened full, (the plastic blocks have worn with the cable moving so i think this was why the shoes werent comming off the hubs fully when the hand brake was relased as the cable was sticking in the blocks)

Any 1 know how much the plastic guide blocks will be? and could i get them in any car shop, or are they a vauxhall only part?
cheers
rob_watti

12th Aug 03 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

vauxhall only but they are cheap as chips
moddedcorsa

12th Aug 03 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cool, i need a few other things like a new door hinge pin anyway

New Poll