corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » MFD Digital Display lights

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author MFD Digital Display lights
bubbleball

User status: Offline
23rd Jul 03 at 08:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ello people, i'm a bit worried because the digital display showing the time, temp and radio station is not lighting up. I recently put in LEDS but only worked for a short time, i know the screen works because i took it apart and can see the digital display against the light. So the problem must be the lights...what can i do???
corsaon18s

23rd Jul 03 at 09:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Speak to cobra148 he can sort you out with some new led's did you use resistors with the ones you put in?
OFcorsa

23rd Jul 03 at 09:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have the same problem, sometimes they work some times they don't!
bubbleball

23rd Jul 03 at 10:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah some times they work some times they dont and now they dont work permanetly...i got the LEDS from CObra148
Kenni

23rd Jul 03 at 11:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I suggest check whether the connector block on the rear of the MDF is not loose.
Move it around to see if the comes on. This a common fault for the solder to come loose on the circuit board. You will need to solder it back on. Theres around 8 or 10 pins.

And also check where you have put these leds bulbs in properly, and are making contact with the circuit board

bubbleball

23rd Jul 03 at 12:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i can see all the pins are there and that the connector block is push tightly in...the leds are definately touching the circuit boards because i took it apart when i was trying to find the problem...everything else works excepts the lights .....pissing me off
corsaon18s

23rd Jul 03 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

AHH!! I KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM IS.............................................................................................................................................I THINK YOU NEED NEW LIGHTS! TRY BRIGHT BULBS AND PAINT THEM WITH PIGMENT FROM HALFORDS.
bubbleball

23rd Jul 03 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lights are not a problem i've tried and tested them
OFcorsa

23rd Jul 03 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I hate to say it bud mine were from cobra as well and i have aproblem with them and i have checked all the other bits and bobs and they were fine so....all i can think of is that maybe the resitor is wrong?

But Rob said he tested mine b4 they got to me so....

[Edited on 23-07-2003 by OFcorsa]
barry_kellett99

23rd Jul 03 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He made me loads and all work fine
OFcorsa

23rd Jul 03 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree the rest have been spot on, but one blew in my mfd then one doesn't work, but the rest are fine!
bubbleball

23rd Jul 03 at 14:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well, my display doesnt work...worked for a while...then went off....the lights behind the heater dials never worked and actually i think blew something because they keep blowing my fuse...but the ones behind the speed dials work fine after a few attempts
bubbleball

23rd Jul 03 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OFcorsa did u try putting in some of the orginal bulbs back in??
corsaon18s

23rd Jul 03 at 14:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You sure you wernt puttin them in the wrong way, cos im sure with led's the current has to flow a certain way or you blow em. but with the bulbs you can put them in either way.
bubbleball

23rd Jul 03 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

with the leds u can only twist them one way because of the way it hooks the circuit board....plus the bulbs did work before and dont work now
cobra148

23rd Jul 03 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

David, are you saying the leds don't work or that the regular bulbs don't work too? If both don't work it will be an electrical fault rather than the leds. BTW, I got the package today, items will be with you Monday.

As mentioned above, I test all leds before I mail them, and although they are unlikely to suffer any probs in the mail, it is possible.
Any leds that I supply will be replaced if they are faulty in any way whatsoever.
I've even swapped them when its obvious to me that the buyer has taken them apart for whatever reason.
Leds are polarity sensitive unlike the original bulbs and need to be fitted the right way round, if after plugging it in, simply turning the holder 180 degrees will solve the problem.
If fitted correctly, a led will last much longer than the original bulb and should cause no problems at all. The leds in my mfd have been working fine for the last 18 months, the same for my dials until I recently replaced them with a digital dash.
cobra148

23rd Jul 03 at 15:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsaon18s
You sure you wernt puttin them in the wrong way, cos im sure with led's the current has to flow a certain way or you blow em. but with the bulbs you can put them in either way.

If you put them in the wrong way round they won't blow, they just won't work. Simply turning 180 degrees sorts it.
The only time I have ever actually blown a led was when a piece of solder bridged the gap between the legs and shorted it, other than that, they are suprisingly robust.
bubbleball

23rd Jul 03 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

COBRA its cool...nothing to do with the LEDS its just the connection...just geting frustrated? who do u reckon i can take it to?
cobra148

23rd Jul 03 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The MFD is very tempermental and doesn't like being taken apart. The multi pin connector on the back is very fragile.
I've had probs with mine in the past, sometimes it would work, sometimes not, giving it a thump often sorted it indicating something was loose or not connecting properly.
I could only suggest an auto electrician to take a look really.

New Poll