corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » 1.2 running terrible

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 1.2 running terrible
JOHN M

User status: Offline
30th Jun 03 at 22:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi everyone.I used to be on here all the time a year or two ago but i sold my Corsa and got an MR2.

Anyway,ive just bought my G/Friend a P reg 1.2 LS which was running perfectly when she got it and drove home.However we parked it up and came in the house and when she went out to get in it its running terrible.The car will start (just about) and then it runs awful-idles very low.If i press the accelerator it wont rev and usually dies,sometimes it revs a bit but sounds like its misfiring.

The thing is,the engine management light goes out at start up and does not come on at all when the engine is running.

Has anyone ever come across this kind of problem before? Its got me baffled as usually the engine management light comes on when theres a fault in the system.

Cheers.
Richie

30th Jun 03 at 23:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its called out of petrol
JOHN M

30th Jun 03 at 23:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The tank is 3/4's full!!
Cavey

30th Jun 03 at 23:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I actually have a similar problem, it's been idling too low, almost stalling, and when i accelerate it has a problem, doesn't do much then realises i have put my foot down and then accelerates, pain in the arse it is, also it's ticking the engine, Vauxhall say it's the hydraulic lifters, and i'm not good enough to argue, any ideas ?
JOHN M

30th Jun 03 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is most definately not the hydraulic lifters on mine.Mine are perfectly quiet. That could be the problem with yours though if its making a tapping sound from the top end.I had a similar problem on a Nova once.

Mine is just dead when i hit my foot to the floor,it just doesnt rev at all and usually dies.Im thinking mine may be the crank sensor or the idle speed motor but im confused as they usually bring the engine management light on.
Richie

30th Jun 03 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nah the problem with mine was the pipe for the brake servo had popped off the back of the inlet manifold, so there was no pressure in the system.
AgentBlue

12th Jun 04 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JOHN M
Hi everyone.I used to be on here all the time a year or two ago but i sold my Corsa and got an MR2.

Anyway,ive just bought my G/Friend a P reg 1.2 LS which was running perfectly when she got it and drove home.However we parked it up and came in the house and when she went out to get in it its running terrible.The car will start (just about) and then it runs awful-idles very low.If i press the accelerator it wont rev and usually dies,sometimes it revs a bit but sounds like its misfiring.

The thing is,the engine management light goes out at start up and does not come on at all when the engine is running.

Has anyone ever come across this kind of problem before? Its got me baffled as usually the engine management light comes on when theres a fault in the system.

Cheers.

Exact same problem on my B sxi
Fixed it short term by adjusting the throttle cable.
I think it might be the idle motor. not sure though.
??
anybody?
mike_1.2LS96

12th Jun 04 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Cheers.

Check fuel pump and filter, and plugs.
Mattb

12th Jun 04 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One of two things i would think..

1: as richie said, an air leak in a vacuum hose or similar.. check all hoses for splits/holes and check none are hanging off..

2:Could be the map sensor/ airflow sensor (depending on the engine)...

do a search for the paperclip test or take it to vaux for a diagnostic check to see if any fault codes have been stored in the Ecu, it'll cost about £30 tho

[Edited on 12-06-2004 by Mattb]
Skinner

12th Jun 04 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if its an 8 valve check the dizzy cap and arm cause my old 1.2 8v used 2 do it then i changed them and it was fine or it could b the idle control valve ,or any of the above
AgentBlue

13th Jun 04 at 08:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all hoses are intact no lose connections or splits (x12xe)
must be idle control motor..
are these expensive to get fixed?
gsi-gaz

13th Jun 04 at 09:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

59.50 + vat from vauxhall i think
Kris TD

13th Jun 04 at 09:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
The tank is 3/4's full!!

did you fill it up yourself?
cos my dads omega has got the shitest petrol guage ever, when it show 20 litres its empty.
KIFF

28th Aug 06 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if its a 1.2 16v, i had the same problem a while back, i replaced the mass air flow sensor and it was sorted. might be worth giving the sensor a clean with some carb cleaner. and give the idle control valve a clean while your at it.

New Poll