corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Cat back system?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Cat back system?
Neshol

User status: Offline
   20th May 03 at 23:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is a cat-back system just the same as getting a backbox, and having a pipe put in place of the silencer? Or by getting a system, will the pipe be larger or somethin? I'm not after performance gains, just a better sound.
essexracer

20th May 03 at 23:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Neshol
Is a cat-back system just the same as getting a backbox, and having a pipe put in place of the silencer? Or by getting a system, will the pipe be larger or somethin? I'm not after performance gains, just a better sound.

yes its the same...well it depends on what make of exhaust...some like my Sebring have a straight through centre section, while other makes have a less restrictive centre box (than the standard one).

different makes have different size bores (size of pipe).

if ur after a lot of noise...get a full powerflow system...of get a cat back system and a de cat pipe...a de cat pipe makes a hell of a difference (in sound) thats wat i found.

i have a magnex de cat pipe and a full sebring system (cat back) and its loud but not OTT (sebring exhausts r quiet really).

hope that helps.

james
Neshol

20th May 03 at 23:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers dude. So if u buy a cat-back system, how many pieces does it come in? Basically I wanna know if i can fit the lot myself or not.
essexracer

21st May 03 at 00:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u dont have to be mechnically minded, just need commen sence! i did mine.

a full (cat back) system will consist of a back box and a centre section.

where u live? if ur near me in essex il fit a system for ya m8.

all u do is take ur old exhaust off by undoin the clamp behind the cat and the clamp by the back box and then pull the 2 parts apart. (sometimes they can be rusted together or have gay "gumgum" stickin the exhaust together, so u have to use a hammer/wd40 to get it off.)

then u just do the opposite with the new system.

u should be able to do the whole lot (includin puttin car on axle stands) in an hour.

james

[Edited on 21-05-2003 by essexracer]
Neshol

21st May 03 at 00:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers James, i'm in the midlands but it sounds like I can do it myself anyway, perhaps with the help of a mate. Thanks for the replies
essexracer

21st May 03 at 00:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats wat corsa sport is here for m8

if u get any probs, just u2u me m8

james
Neshol

21st May 03 at 00:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well what I was actually thinkin of doin woz just gettin a backbox n stickin that on, then gettin sum1 to put a pipe in place of the silencer. Wouldn't that work out cheaper than buyin the system? If u see wot i mean....
Neshol

21st May 03 at 00:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In place of the middle silencer, sorry
essexracer

21st May 03 at 00:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes it should work out cheaper...but the centre pipe will have to made to the correct size bore where it connects to the cat and back box.

also the centre pipe is not straight...it will have to be bent into the correct shape. i think powerflow charge about £40 to do this.

so y dont u call up powerflow/longlife etc and ask them how much they would charge for just a straight though pipe replacing the centre section, and if its reasonable then good.

and then u can choose a back box u like and then fit that ur self and then take it to powerflow to get them to fit a straight through centre section.

and bobs ur uncle!
Neshol

21st May 03 at 00:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Perfect! Just what I wanted to know geezer. Cheers for that!
essexracer

21st May 03 at 00:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

incase u get quoted sumic silly like £100 for a made up cantre section from powerflow, then av a look arround for an off the shelf one.

i think my sebring one is like £70 for just the centre section. its stainless steel (has a black cover) and has a life time warrenty.

i think janspeed and a few other makes do centre sections aswell for less than £100.

james

New Poll