corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » newbie - dumb questions!

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author newbie - dumb questions!
wassup2002

User status: Offline
18th May 03 at 22:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi all , just signed up. im 17 just took up driving lessins.

going to be getting a corsa when i pass (hopfully!!!)

few questions

what are all the models of corsa available

so far ive heard of , 1.0, 1.2 ls , 1.4 SRi , 1.4i CDx

is there any others?

What are the most popular choices on here.

i fancy a 1.4 sri , 3 door model

okay next question, whats the diference between a corsa , a , b and a c ?

and why do some corsa's have thinner ear lights than other models? u get what i mean? looks a bit crap, i prfer the wider looking ones?!!? hope sumone understands me!

ive been looking at them for a couple of years now. hgas anyone got any decent sites to buy bodykits, exhausts , alloys etc from?

Cheers
MikeH

18th May 03 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you'd better check your insurance quote before buying a 1.4 sri, it might cost you far too much!
mattyboy199

18th May 03 at 22:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

couple of years ? & you can t tell the difference between a 3 & 5 door apart from the lights ?. Try going to
www.thedifferencebetween3.&5.doors@ohdear!.dum

[Edited on 18-05-2003 by mattyboy199]
Bonzai

18th May 03 at 22:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol, dont pick on the poor boy
Plymouth_Corsa

18th May 03 at 22:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To insure a 1.4 SRi it should not be that much of a problem, do however check with the insurers first, and shop around for the best quote. Its a group5 car, so still as low as most other 1.4 makes, even though its quicker.
The best place for kits and stuff is to follow the links at the top of the site, or to browse through your monthly car mags or go to pvd website for more choice.
dig dave2811

18th May 03 at 23:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have a special edition 1.2 8 valve swing model
wassup2002

18th May 03 at 23:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hello again, very funny, i kind of tired had a long day. and sorry for my spellin sat away from the pc and im going blind i think cant really see small letters!!
anyway

been looking on ebay at cars and autotrader, i think im gonna go for a 1,2 now. whats the best 1.2 model? ive seen a 1.2 ls and a 1.2 i i think.

i was looking at bodykits on f.fwd site, i really like the combat 1 bumper and those morrette lights. i like the reiger rear bumper.

erm next stupid question. can u mix and match bumpers and skirts and stuff?

also is it possible to lower the whole car 40mm on 17 unch alloys?

to be honest i think they look good enough lowered , with big alloys and a good set of clear lights oh and the nice loud exhaust!!!

i hate typing wen im stoned , off to bed

night night
Scott M

19th May 03 at 00:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Corsa A = Nova
Corsa B = Round shape
Corsa C = New shape

Can do whatever you want kit wise, mix and match away, is personal style mate.

Lowering 40mm on 17's is possible, with archwork higly likely.
wassup2002

19th May 03 at 00:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well i aint after a nova and i dont like the new shape, so it must be a corsa b im after.

whats the performance like on a 1.2 compared to a 1.4 u know? i wouldnt fancy a 1 litre, all looks and ummpphh like my speedfight scooter!! what are the insurance groups for the 1.4 sri and the 1.2 models?

what good insurance companys do people recommend? bearing in mind im 17!!

cheers
Cavey

19th May 03 at 00:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

parkers.co.uk i THINK is the best place to look for most things
Scott M

19th May 03 at 00:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well you'll never get the same performance from a 1.2 as a 1.4 obviously, not sure of exact power figures but its quite a noticable difference.

As for ins co's, they're different for everyone, you just gotta ring round and see what the best quote is, being 17 they're pretty much all gonna shaft you I'm afraid mate.

[Edited on 19-05-2003 by Scott M]
wassup2002

19th May 03 at 02:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i got £641 from tesco motor insurance TPFT but in my mums name doh, over a grand in my own name still tpft for a 1.2. for a 1.4 SRi it was 756 tpdt in my mums name and about 1233 in my own name. thinl its going in mummys name har har she wont care.

im thinking of buying a corsa thats already done up. seeing as im so thick.

how easy are body kits to fit and paint?

ive painted plastic scooter panels off my mp[ed numerous times after tarmac surfing adventures (lol!!) but it always looks dull, must be halfords paint or me!

cheers again
Kris TD

19th May 03 at 08:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the 1.0l is quicker than the 1.2 8v mate.
anyway there are:
1l
1.2 8v
1.2 16v
1.4 8v spi (60bhp)
1.4 8v mpi (82 bhp)
1.4 16v
1.6 16v gsi
1.6 16v sport
1.5 d
1.5 td
1.7d

the 1.2 is painfully slow, it only has 45 bhp, much better off going for a 1.4 spi, still
cheap on insurance.

as above, the thinner rear lights are 5 door models.

yes you can lower 40mm on 17's, im lowered 60mm on 17's

as for the combat kit, shop around there are hundreds of newer designs around now, thats a bit of an old school bumper.

as for can you mix and match, yes you can, infact i think most people do this.

i recommend if you can afford it going in your own name, just got my first insurance on my own name ind its its like £780 and im 20 with 3 1/2 years driving, that would be 3 1/2 years no claims i would have by now and my insurance would have been like 400 quid.
Kris TD

19th May 03 at 08:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh, as for fitting and painting, if you dont have a compressor and air gun dont bother trying to do it yourself, you cant paint them with spray cans. i think yours has come out dull because you have forgotten to laquer the basecoat.

some kits are easy to fit, others are just a pain in the arse, generally the plastic euro style kits that are well expensive fit quite well, but all the mad fibreglass one are shocking.
Cybermonkey

19th May 03 at 08:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont forget the Corsa 1.6 Sport/GSi, although you wont be able to afford the insurance on these just yet. £1233 FC for your first car on a 1.4 is extremely good. My advice to you woul be to take out this policy in your own name, not your mums. The sooner you can start building up your NCB (No Claims Bonus), the better! If you cannot afford the £1200 for the 1400, go for a 1.2 16v model, especially looking at the SXi. These have all the extras that the sport models got, like sports seats, alloy wheels, rear spoiler and uprated suspension, but a nipy 1.2 engine instead. Body kits should usually be undertaken at a qualified bodyshop. Mattyboy, i think you are a complete tosser, this guy is just getting into the world of car tuning, give him some slack for christs sake. Its people like you that are giving this site a bad reputation.

Dave
mattyboy199

19th May 03 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dig dave2811

WOW !
mattyboy199

19th May 03 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cybermonkey24
Dont forget the Corsa 1.6 Sport/GSi, although you wont be able to afford the insurance on these just yet. £1233 FC for your first car on a 1.4 is extremely good. My advice to you woul be to take out this policy in your own name, not your mums. The sooner you can start building up your NCB (No Claims Bonus), the better! If you cannot afford the £1200 for the 1400, go for a 1.2 16v model, especially looking at the SXi. These have all the extras that the sport models got, like sports seats, alloy wheels, rear spoiler and uprated suspension, but a nipy 1.2 engine instead. Body kits should usually be undertaken at a qualified bodyshop. Mattyboy, i think you are a complete tosser, this guy is just getting into the world of car tuning, give him some slack for christs sake. Its people like you that are giving this site a bad reputation.

Dave

Shut up mate i messing about having a laugh, chill out a bit there are other things in life besides your corsa sport !
3CorsaMeal

19th May 03 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mattyboy199
quote:
Originally posted by dig dave2811

WOW !

Mikorsa16v

19th May 03 at 13:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kris TD
the 1.0l is quicker than the 1.2 8v mate.
anyway there are:
1l
1.2 8v
1.2 16v
1.4 8v spi (60bhp)
1.4 8v mpi (82 bhp)
1.4 16v
1.6 16v gsi
1.6 16v sport
1.5 d
1.5 td
1.7d

the 1.2 is painfully slow, it only has 45 bhp, much better off going for a 1.4 spi, still
cheap on insurance.

as above, the thinner rear lights are 5 door models.

yes you can lower 40mm on 17's, im lowered 60mm on 17's

as for the combat kit, shop around there are hundreds of newer designs around now, thats a bit of an old school bumper.

as for can you mix and match, yes you can, infact i think most people do this.

i recommend if you can afford it going in your own name, just got my first insurance on my own name ind its its like £780 and im 20 with 3 1/2 years driving, that would be 3 1/2 years no claims i would have by now and my insurance would have been like 400 quid.

dont forget the 1.2 16v has 65bhp, which is quicker than the 1.4 spi and the 1.2 8v
wassup2002

19th May 03 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

okay chums. thanks a lot for all this. so basically im looking at getting a 1.2.
i like the idea of the 1.2 16v model , and the 1.2 sxi, also the 1.2 SXi. what is the difference between a 1.2 LS 16v which has 65bhp (looking at parkers site) and the 1.2 GLS 16v with also 65bhp?

So the models to keep an eye out for are:

1.2 16v
1.2 16 SXi
1.2 16v LS (65bhp)

It seems to me most of the 1.2 models are better than the 1.4 models?

I dont mind if someone takes the p**s, if ive said something stupid then fair enough but if theres no need for it then maybe its not nice, im a member of a lot fo bike forums where many people constantly boo at new memebers, it doesnt do they web ssites reputation any good either and i suppose we were all learners/newbies to this at one point in our lives.

cheers
Tom

19th May 03 at 15:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Little 1.2 16v gud car to start with.

SXI is a sporty model you get spoiler and nice trim.

GLS is focused on comfort rather than sportiness so you get leccy mirrors etc but no spoiler.

LS is bout worst.

The 1.4's are good there are 3 types spi which is poor mpi (these 2 both 8v's) which is ok, and 16v which is the best.

SXi's are nippy for what they are but could only 'beat' the spi one above as standard.

Hope this helps.

P.S don't get a combat kit
digitalbanana

19th May 03 at 16:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i got a 1.0i 12v. 55 BHP, apparent top speed of 93mph, but easily done over that.

my insurance is £840 in my own name when i was 17 with norwich union. try putting ur mum down as a named driver as that knocked off a few notes somewhow for me.

I like my 1.0i, ok it aint as fast as id like it. but at least it is economical for school runs in the morning etc. but still nippy...ive drilled my aibox etc. and it makes a good improvement, a bit nippier and grunts.

1.0i is only grp 1 insurance which is good...

l8r on im gonna transplant another engine into the car when i have more NCB's and im older.

wassup2002

19th May 03 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

jesus this is one busy popular forum. i was lookin for my post on the 1st page and thought it had been deleted and it had dropped back to the 2nd page!

oh anyways, im going to have to do the insurance in my mums name.
for a 1.4 sri crosa, its , £1342 with cis , £1387 i think if it was with tesco finance and 1769 with norwich union all tpft. and if it was a 1.2 ab out 200 - 300 nocked off those pirces. its gonna have to go inmy mums name im afraid.

so is there any 1.2 corsa that has better performance than a 1.4 SRi. soz if im being silly just i dont want a shite ass slow car

cheers
Visionz

16th Aug 04 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well im 17 and for an 1.2ls 8v 3dr Corsa B it costs me £560 fully comp and on my own insurance. Thats from Churchill.

But i got 1/3 knocked off the price of my insurance as i took the pass plus.
Graham

16th Aug 04 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

grave digger £560 pffffffffft i smell bullshit add a one to the front it and your talking

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll