corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Tax/ownership help

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Tax/ownership help
Generation

User status: Offline
11th Oct 16 at 09:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bought the MX5 around 3 weeks ago. Owner couldn't find v5, so I just took a signed bit of paper, just so I had something.

Now he's decided to stop replying to any messages. Car is taxed until January in his name, but soon as I apply for new v5 in my name, it'll cancel the tex and it's a 6 week wait for a new form.

Any ideas around this?
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

11th Oct 16 at 10:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Goes without saying about buying a car without a V5, however:

If you don’t have a V5C or V5C/2

If you’re the current keeper, you must apply for a new V5C and tax your vehicle at a Post Office. This costs £25 and it can take 4 to 6 weeks to get the new V5C.

If you’re the new keeper, you can’t tax your vehicle without a V5C/2. You’ll need to apply for a new V5C (you can also get the form from the Post Office.) This costs £25 and it can take 4 to 6 weeks to get the new V5C.

Thats from https://www.gov.uk/car-tax-disc-without-v11-reminder which makes it sound like you can do it at the post office as long as you apply for the V5 at the same time?

Hope it gets resolved and you did a VIC! Good luck.
Ian W

11th Oct 16 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would echo what willay says but also add that it is only taxed if he continues to pay, nothing stopping him from cancelling it, you wouldn't know and could come back to your car to find it clamped / towed (probably unlikely but you never know).
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
11th Oct 16 at 10:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can do it at the PO and also tax, you'll still be able to drive it while the V5 arrives.

Only minor issue is finding a suitable PO, not all can deal.

[Edited on 11-10-2016 by Ian]
Generation

11th Oct 16 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What exactly can be done at post office? Apply for v5 -and tax?

From what I can see he's paid upfront for tax until January.
GB123
Premium Member

11th Oct 16 at 13:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He can still cancel it and get a refund for the remainder though
Generation

11th Oct 16 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Very good point. Need to sort this, got ew days off. Ow if anybody has any ideas
Ian
Site Administrator

11th Oct 16 at 18:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Generation
What exactly can be done at post office? Apply for v5 -and tax?

From what I can see he's paid upfront for tax until January.

Yeah the main ones have all the forms. Payment not important - can be cancelled online at any time.
Generation

11th Oct 16 at 18:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got the v62 form already.

So you're saying if I fill that out and find the right post office they can do there and then?

Are you sure?
Ian
Site Administrator

11th Oct 16 at 19:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've done it with salvage where there has been no book with it and it needed to be on the road that day, see what you local branch can do is your best hope.
MikeF86

11th Oct 16 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It baffles me how people get by in the world. Just go to a post office and ask, you've wasted a day on here asking about it already.
Generation

11th Oct 16 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been at work, actually.
Rather than drive to a post office, when I've got other shIt to do, I thought I'd ask a forum based on cars.
Was looking for a get around, as when I called DVLA she told me none of this.

Sorry for over running the website with threads

Thanks for your great input though, speaking of wasting your time..

[Edited on 11-10-2016 by Generation]
DaveyLC

11th Oct 16 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Generation
I've got the v62 form already.

So you're saying if I fill that out and find the right post office they can do there and then?

Are you sure?

Make sure you've looked up the special DVLA hand-shake first.
Generation

14th Oct 16 at 10:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

"You may not be able to tax until you get a v5c in your name"

So I can or can't?
Ian W

14th Oct 16 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well not according to that no, not until you get the V5 in your name.

Ian
Site Administrator

14th Oct 16 at 10:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just go and try please
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

14th Oct 16 at 10:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah man just go to a biggish post office and ask, protocols can be bent slightly/change since the printing of whatever you have taken a photo of!

And worse case, just apply the V5 and take it off the road. Not much else you can do?

[Edited on 14-10-2016 by willay]
Generation

14th Oct 16 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've tried two now..
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

14th Oct 16 at 10:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So in other words, it's upto the person in the post office to decide whether or not to be a prick. Looks like the advice from Tuesday still stands, go to the post office and find out if they're going to help or hinder you.
Mike
Premium Member

14th Oct 16 at 10:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So two have told you no so you've come back to us for a different answer?
Generation

14th Oct 16 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or I've updated the thread with an outcome, (for others that may read it.. )why is everybody trying to be so fucking hostile the time

[Edited on 14-10-2016 by Generation]
Mike
Premium Member

14th Oct 16 at 11:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Because you're posting a picture of a vague sentence and asking us if you can or can't, even though 2 post office workers have already told you that you can't.

And you didn't exactly show an outcome, you said you've been to 2 post offices. What a fantastically explained outcome that is.

[Edited on 14-10-2016 by Mike]
Generation

14th Oct 16 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Even though people are telling me here otherwise, -!; I'm correcting them/seeing how they got around it.

Yes I said I've been to two, in reply to
Ian telling me to go and try one

Wheeey let's try and argue for sake
Of it
Mike
Premium Member

14th Oct 16 at 12:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So why, after going to two, are you still asking us if you can do it? That isn't correcting anybody, that's asking a pointless question that you already have the answer to. I'm sure Ian could tell you which post office he went to and even possibly who he dealt with there but are you really going to go to Liverpool to try and get the answer you want?
Ian
Site Administrator

14th Oct 16 at 12:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you've tried them and they said they can't do it that's because of three things -

They're not a big enough PO

They're being nobs

They just can't

I've done it where I've had a car that's just come from the salvage, no docs at all and I've applied for a book and taxed it that day so it could be driven that day.

Whether its different for salvage (although only difference ont he V62 is whether you pay the fee - cat C salvage in which the book is destroyed they waive the fee for you in order to generate a new book with the marker on) or the rules have changed I'm not sure, I'm going back a year or so.

On the slight chance its because its not a big enough PO in which case keep trying. Or if they're being nobs you might want a third PO but I can't be clear about that bit.

Incidently you can do it online - https://www.gov.uk/sold-bought-vehicle

Whether at the end of that you'll get the option to buy tax I'm also not sure but it would make sense to be able to do so - technically as soon as its in your name electronically you should have no cause not to tax electronically as you'll be liable for it straight away, there is no grace period.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Tax/ownership help 22 database queries in 0.0912199 seconds