corsasport.co.uk
 

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » 2006 Monaro CV8 Supercharged


New Topic

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.


Author 2006 Monaro CV8 Supercharged
djgritt
Premium Member

Avatar

Registered: 1st Nov 07
Location: North Dorset Drives: Monaro SC / Abarth595
User status: Offline
13th Oct 17 at 12:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Important changes recently.

Can't believe it's taken so long!

Untitled by Dave Gritt, on Flickr

Untitled by Dave Gritt, on Flickr


A repeating theme in my posts over the last year has been the 'whirring bearing noise' - I've tried a few things to source & resolve it but no such joy. Until now... Cracked it.

The Supercharger tensioner/roller was heard to be pretty noisy when we had it off at the VBOA Rally to replace the drive belt, so this was the next thing to check. It should have been done sooner!

The Roller has 2x Bearings installed within the body, these then fit to a stepped shaft on the cast assembly and is secured with a bolt & conical washer. Once the roller was removed, a few bits of debris fell out of it - and I was also able to remove one bearing on my driveway with some shock treatment and was not in a pretty state...

IMG_5120 by Dave Gritt, on Flickr

The next task was to take the bits with me to work, where they were given a blast in the parts washer, introduced to the hydraulic press, and then given another dose of the parts washer... It was clear where the noise was coming from for definite once it all was apart;

IMG_5170 by Dave Gritt, on Flickr

I went to a local supplier and picked up replacement bearings to the below specs - they are two different sizes due to the stepped shaft as mentioned, then used the factory tools again to press them in;

IMG_5123 by Dave Gritt, on Flickr

IMG_5124 by Dave Gritt, on Flickr

IMG_5125 by Dave Gritt, on Flickr

IMG_5126 by Dave Gritt, on Flickr

IMG_5127 by Dave Gritt, on Flickr


I got it all back together and it is now quiet - a total cost of ~ 16.00 & around 1 hour of my time. Nice and easy.

Next job is to do the Propshaft bearing change and some transmission oil changes....

IMG_5172 by Dave Gritt, on Flickr


Though I wish I had a workshop & lift as am not feeling a driveway job as Autumn well and truly closes in...


Monaro CV8 Supercharged
Abarth 595 - the GFs.
VxON Club Admin Team
djgritt
Premium Member

Avatar

Registered: 1st Nov 07
Location: North Dorset Drives: Monaro SC / Abarth595
User status: Offline
14th Oct 17 at 16:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kept my word from my last post - Propshaft Bearing.


Some Youtubes research of Australian men in crap vests in shonky garages inspired me that it would be a straightforward job to do on my driveway, bar getting the car up etc where a proper workshop lift would have been very welcome.... The Aussies were right it is straightforward. Unless you own MY Monaro that is. Where every job takes at least twice as long as it should or probably would for anybody else.


So, car up & off the ground - the clutch change earlier this year reminded me that all 4 corners up gave good access, so I did the same. (it was a little misty today, hence looking darker than it actually was...);

IMG_5183 by Dave Gritt, on Flickr


Then whip some of the Exhaust off, giving access to the Prop - remove it - 3x Bolts at Gearbox end, 3x Bolts at Diff end, 2x Bolts on the Bearing support - little wiggling, bosh, off. Comparison shot shows how knackered the old item was - can see why it clunked a fair bit now;

IMG_5185 by Dave Gritt, on Flickr


Next step is to split the Prop at the universal joint. Old Youtubes Aussie used a vice to help, I had to use my foot and a weird standing position. This was rubbish. It barely moved. So, using sciences I decided Heat would be a benefit, but no torch here - hmm.... Gas Hob? Yes, snuck into kitchen whilst GF was in the front room, and applied Gas Flame. This helped, a few 6lb hammer strikes after saw the item in two pieces - it was rusty inside, explains the difficulty in separation then. (I straightened out the little nicks in the weak collar that can be seen - this is just a guard/cover anyway;

IMG_5186 by Dave Gritt, on Flickr

IMG_5187 by Dave Gritt, on Flickr


New part got slipped on, the Prop reassembled and then eventually got it refit. Had to make two attempts at this as it just didn't seem happy to all line up at first and I was thinking that it wasn't properly located but in the end it seemed to be normal. Ran car with no exhaust, did a little wee. Cleaned up. Job done;

IMG_5188 by Dave Gritt, on Flickr

IMG_5190 by Dave Gritt, on Flickr


The list slowly gets shorter.

Next is Gearbox/Differential fluids. Going to see if a friend who works in a Garage can fit me in on a Saturday after hours to use his gear and lift. Will chuck him some beer tokens if so. I can't be bothered with this driveway malarkey at the moment.



[Edited on 14-10-2017 by djgritt]


Monaro CV8 Supercharged
Abarth 595 - the GFs.
VxON Club Admin Team

  <<  1    2  >>
New Topic

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » 2006 Monaro CV8 Supercharged 24 database queries in 0.0200090 seconds