corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » TVR Chimaera

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author TVR Chimaera
boylers11

User status: Offline
29th Aug 16 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After finally selling my 'toy' at a hugely reduced rate to free up space and money for the next chapter...

...we've ended up with something quite different. It won't be to everyone's taste, but to be honest I don't care, 'cos the Mrs absolutely loves it!

It's an honest TVR with stacks of history, some being from Fernhurst from years back. It hasn't been clocked like a lot of 'low mileage' TVRs and most importantly, it's had the outriggers replaced.
The seller kindly MOTd if for me after shaking hands and it flew through with no advisories.

Plans are to keep it tidy, quite a few little touches, then get it on ramps over winter and treat the underside.

So far I've replaced the boot gas strut with a Mk4 Golf one (perfect fit), this makes fuelling much easier as the tank's in the boot.

Removed the side and rear V8 badges (I think they're Leven ones, which are £££).

Swapped the side indicators for smoked ones with mirrored bulbs to avoid the fried egg look

Swapped the amber front indicator lenses with clear Land Rover ones to make it more modern. I just need to wore in a resistor to slow the blink rate down, as it now has LED front bulbs.

Tempted by some form of front splitter too, but a bit undecided, as I don't want to turn it into a chav-mobile!
Kyle T
Premium Member

29th Aug 16 at 19:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes! Nice work

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ian
Site Administrator

29th Aug 16 at 19:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Very nice, bit more practical than the 7 as well.
boylers11

29th Aug 16 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Kyle. Yes Ian, this has reverse for a start! She loves it, whereas she wouldn't even come in the kit car. I'm sure I'll come across a few gremlins, but that's part of the charm of TVR ownership (so I've read numerous times!).

Opinions on splitters etc would be listened to.

I've got some brushed alloy indicator stalks on the way too to replace the crappy old Vauxhall ones.
ShEp

30th Aug 16 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice motor.

Not in the habit of looking at TVR parts, But after a quick google, the Chimera winglets and moving the bumper plate down slightly looks to be a nice option.

Plenty of other "race" look splitters which I don't think would look right on a road car.
BeetleGav

30th Aug 16 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks great! Needs some bigger wheels though imo
SteveoBC
Premium Member

2nd Sep 16 at 08:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good choice, defo an upgrade over the last motor plus with the bonus of a V8!
boylers11

2nd Sep 16 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks lads. The V8 noise is addictive that's for sure! It's a bit more refined than the kit car too!

Wheels are tricky, due to different sizes/offsets between front and rear, which rules out a second hand set and I don't want to fork out on a new set, especially since the current tyres have plenty of meat left.
DaveyLC

2nd Sep 16 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Death machine!
boylers11

2nd Sep 16 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

which one? the kit car or the TVR? lol
DaveyLC

2nd Sep 16 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Both
boylers11

2nd Sep 16 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At least in the TVR, I will die comfy and warm and with a good sound track!
boylers11

2nd Sep 16 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's gona be best to bring the leather seats up nice and clean? Autoglym leather cleaner and conditioner hasn't touched them really.
boylers11

2nd Sep 16 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Resistors arrived to slow down the LED front indicator blinks. Should get these fitted on Sunday:

random dav
Premium Member

3rd Sep 16 at 11:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Awesome, love it.

WRLFC !

Project cars
Gary
Premium Member

3rd Sep 16 at 17:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by boylers11
Resistors arrived to slow down the LED front indicator blinks. Should get these fitted on Sunday:

Used those shit things on my old bike. Not work a wank, broke after a few months, get them in the bin and just get a new flasher relay thats made for LED
boylers11

3rd Sep 16 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The reviews from the TVR crew said they work well if you're not going LED all round (which I'm not). I'm only doing the front indicators at the moment.
Full LED relays are only needed if more LEDs are in the system apparently? I'll stand corrected if these fail though.
For a couple of squid each, it's worth a pop.

Custom made brushed ally indicator stalks arrived too, so they'll go on next week too

DaveyLC

6th Sep 16 at 08:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Loving the photos on the stairs I can imagine you coming through the front door, ripping the envelope open and quickly snapping a photo.

Maybe you could give Andrew some lessons in taking photos?
boylers11

6th Sep 16 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haha, I leave all the 'car to do' stuff on the stairs to save me making a special trip out to the garage.

Keep making the mistake of giving the parcels to the Mrs to open, so she thinks I'm buying her stuff! Oops
boylers11

10th Sep 16 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got the chrome stalks fitted today, along with the resistors for the LED indicators.

Before:

During:

After:

boylers11

8th Oct 16 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No more progress as yet (something in the pipeline soon hopefully), but took it for a spin last weekend and took a few snaps.

VegasPhil
Premium Member

8th Oct 16 at 22:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get some Dr Leather on that drivers seat! Great car.

Always been fascinated by the various parts of other cars on these. Mk3 fiesta rear lights on this and the upside down cavalier lights on the Griffith 500

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
boylers11

8th Oct 16 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Phil. Is there a Dr Leather cleaner and conditioner combo? The leather is nice and soft, it just needs a good clean, particularly in the fine cracks and possibly a cream dye?
A lad on another forum effectively sanded his seats down and treated them, which brought them up like new, but then opens the leather up to faster wear apparently?

Yeah, the various parts are strange. They were Vauxhall indicator stalks and the front indicators are military LandRover items.

The number plate being illuminated from behind the plate is a nice touch too.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

11th Oct 16 at 08:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just bought a bottle from amazon I think. Used one microfibres for the dirty work and another for a wipe down after. Might need a few goes on light coloured leather like that! Loads of vids of what it can do on YouTube

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
boylers11

16th Oct 16 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Needed to tidy the garage today, so gave it a quick start up

https://youtu.be/A3v2eQ1JXOA

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » TVR Chimaera 24 database queries in 0.1898541 seconds