corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Track car - Ford Puma- ***Nring and Combe vids page 3***NOW SOLD

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Track car - Ford Puma- ***Nring and Combe vids page 3***NOW SOLD
SteveoBC
Premium Member

User status: Offline
18th Jun 16 at 20:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Couldnt stay away from track days, since Ian let me have a rag in his Puma, been on the look out for one

Found one during a random ebay boredom search on Wednesday and found one for sale already stripped out, track ready and MOT'd until Feb next year

So went after work up north to Warrington, only an hour and 1hour 44mins on virgin trains and the guy selling picked me up from the station

Gave it a quick test drive, bit rough round the edges and needs the clutch doing soon but overall a solid car

And purchased for the same amount i spent on a set of 4 track tyres on my old scooby lol

Did the 3 hour drive home and got in about an hour ago, tops out where it should for a puma

Clutch is the only issue but thats an easy fix, bring on the next action day at combe

Sorry about all the shit, got a few spares chucked in the back when i bought it

[Edited on 15-07-2017 by SteveoBC]

[Edited on 12-09-2017 by SteveoBC]

[Edited on 28-04-2018 by SteveoBC]

[Edited on 30-04-2018 by SteveoBC]
Ben G

18th Jun 16 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's pretty cool loved mine, drove really well. The 1.7 engine is great.
Stuart H

18th Jun 16 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I really need to drive one of these see what the big deal is with them
SteveoBC
Premium Member

19th Jun 16 at 10:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On a track it is very good at out braking and out cornering alot of cars, just on the straights it runs out of puff

Plus everything is cheap as chips, even the car itself haha
SteveoBC
Premium Member

29th Jun 16 at 13:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looking to get the clutch changed shortly

also as i have no record when the timing belt was last done i might get this changed for piece of mind also

just wondering though......i should be ok with a standard clutch if im running standard power, shouldnt i?

not sure if its worth getting an uprated clutch??

had a standard C20XE clutch on my Corsa B at that took all the abuse i could muster- thoughts everyone?
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

29th Jun 16 at 15:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

deffo standard clutch
anthcorsa

29th Jun 16 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's the price difference between the standard and an uprated one? I suppose it wouldn't hurt getting an uprated one if your gonna be tracking it.
SteveoBC
Premium Member

29th Jun 16 at 16:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

havent looked into or checked prices yet
3CorsaMeal

29th Jun 16 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think if i was going to get a top handling fwd track car, a puma would 100% be my 2nd choice.
Ben G

29th Jun 16 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After what? Corrado? I enjoyed my Puma. They look gay but drive really nice. Sound decent also.

125bhp doesn't sound much, but they weigh the same as a baked bean tin.
chris_uk
Premium Member

30th Jun 16 at 07:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats uprated?

The pressure plate or the friction plate?
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

30th Jun 16 at 08:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
I think if i was going to get a top handling fwd track car, a puma would 100% be my 2nd choice.

Clio be the first?
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
30th Jun 16 at 15:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Standard - I've never wanted anything else
SteveoBC
Premium Member

16th Aug 16 at 15:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bit of an update sorry didnt have time to get pics

new clutch is in, new osf outter CV boot changed as it was split

and also noticed the past owner fitted the wrong discs -slightly too small- so changed them to the correct OEM ones so stops better now aswell

but a new problem has arisen, rad fan doesnt seem to kick in when the car hits correct temp, went for a test drive and in traffic it nearly overheated

took it to my garage across the road but they just recommended an auto-electrician (something tells me they didnt want the job- hey ho)

havent the slightest clue on electrics or the tools to diagnose this so will get a mobile one to come out and take a look- hoping its an easy fix like a sensor or a relay that ian suggested to me over the phone

...time will tell

but on a lighter note, the car handles, launches and stops well now and all my track time for castle combe and silverstone is all booked (just need to sort the rad fan)

so we will see how it performs at these 2, then i can make any changes and come back to compare next time
Robin
Premium Member

16th Aug 16 at 16:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is there a separate rad fan switch on these? if so, it'll be that.

If not, it'll be combined with the coolant temp sensor on the thermostat housing.

Ian will know what the setup is and either way it's easy to fix.
Ian
Site Administrator

16th Aug 16 at 21:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Temp sensor is my guess, Autodata will give the sane values or just lash one on and see what happens. On the shelf if you want me to post one Steve.
SteveoBC
Premium Member

17th Aug 16 at 09:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how much inc postage for one Ian?
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Aug 16 at 14:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

See if it fixes it first
SteveoBC
Premium Member

17th Aug 16 at 14:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool, do you wanna send one out and i'll pay whatever i owe you at combe?
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Aug 16 at 15:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah message me an address
SteveoBC
Premium Member

17th Aug 16 at 16:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

messaged, cheers again mate
Ian
Site Administrator

19th Aug 16 at 16:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's on the way now but done some more looking in to it, fan should come on after a few seconds when you unplug it.

Talking about 12A648 in this pic which is what I've sent. 10884 is the signal to the dash hence why you are getting normal readings there.

[Edited on 19-08-2016 by Ian]
Steve
Premium Member

19th Aug 16 at 18:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bet it's the hcv
Steve
Premium Member

19th Aug 16 at 18:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And if it's not replace it anyway before the plastic snaps off the pipe and leaves you stranded
Ian
Site Administrator

19th Aug 16 at 19:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Faulty HCV wouldn't prevent the fan coming on although yeah I agree, that plastic will fail at some point.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Track car - Ford Puma- ***Nring and Combe vids page 3***NOW SOLD 23 database queries in 0.0140140 seconds