corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Track car - Ford Puma- ***Nring and Combe vids page 3***NOW SOLD

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Track car - Ford Puma- ***Nring and Combe vids page 3***NOW SOLD
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
27th Oct 16 at 07:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for that info
Steve
Premium Member

27th Oct 16 at 07:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
I span mine down a country lane so yeah, make sure you get decent tyres on it.

Or just learn how to drive cars that are prone to lift off over steer properly - guarantee that was more down to it than the tyres

[Edited on 27-10-2016 by Steve]
3CorsaMeal

27th Oct 16 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you publishing a book on driving techniques soon Steve? i feel i need to read it.
SteveoBC
Premium Member

10th Jan 17 at 09:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got some off cuts of carbon cheap from a mate that im going to make into some front bumper canards

going to use the bulky rivets we use at the bodyshop at work to attach them to the bumper

but does anyone know where i can get some study metal 90 degree pieces??

want them to be about 2-3mm thick will rivet them to the underside of the carbon then the other side to the bumper obviously

[Edited on 10-01-2017 by SteveoBC]
craig8
Premium Member

11th Mar 17 at 20:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wickes and B&Q sell strips of aluminium angle by the meter.

E36 328
SteveoBC
Premium Member

20th Jun 17 at 16:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cars taken a bit of a rest since Trax last year as i have recently bought my first home, didnt make the first track day at Combe this year either because of it

Car was sat on my nans drive for a time and had'nt turned a key in 6months easy. But now im settled with the flat its time to get back on with it

Novaneil invited me along with his mates to the yearly ring trip and the Puma is going (this will be the third car iv gone in now, same as the Corsa (bumblebee) and the Scooby. Went to my nans and............... started up first turn of the key!!! which was great after being sat for sooooo long

anyway drove up to my mum and dads where it sat for a few weeks whilst i gathered parts.

First weekend about end of May i decided a service and new tyres will do the trick. So got to work with my Dad one weekend, along with a few beers we did the following;
oil change
oil filter
spark plugs
coolant change
fuel filter
and also bought a new ramair induction filter

however, whilst carrying out this beer fuelled sunny day service, i noticed the bushes are shot to bits (how the fuck i didnt crash on either of my track days is a miracle) so more work for me

next week i decided to get the wheels off and remove the suspension and push in some new powerflex bushes
foolishly i thought that a car that has done over 100k will be able to remove all the old suspension bolts- WRONG, bathed in WD40 for ages did fuck all, so after shearing one bolt head off and rounding another i took an angle grinder to the rest and just bought all new bolts from ford

the following week again, after i bought the new bolts and removed the suspension i could, took the wishbones to work and borrowed the press to push in the rear wishbone metal bushes from powerflex, went back to mum and dads to re-assemble and also remove the rear suspension bushes whilst i was at it

old shit rear arm bushes out

old vs new

installed after greasing up

bolted back in

then started on the fronts
new bolts next to the old ones i managed to snap

all bolted back in, along with new drop links and track rod ends (again both rotten and loose)

next problem was i noticed the steering wheel boss was failing on the OMP that came with the car when i bought it
this part would allow movement up and down of about 2mm either way when the steering wheel was straight- not good

quick call to Ian who sold me a new boss and a better steering wheel off another Puma

installed and problem fixed, no more loose steering and looks better too

next job after that was tyres... the current budget tyres around the car, although having loads of tread, just did not cut the mustard on the handling front, so as we are going to Nurburgring, decided on a tried and tested set of Nankang NS2R's which served me well on the Scooby and should last for future track days aswell
next day delivery from JJC Race and Rally and for the best price aswell

bunged all the old wheels and the new tyres in the Scirocco and off to the tyre fitters down the road, suprisingly all 8 of em fitted in one go

back from the fitters and go them on pronto

back on the deck at last

took it out for a spin, the handling now is super sharp and the grip is miles better than before.

Still needs a wheel alignment after all the suspension work, had a front lower splitter in the post to increas front end handling and reduce any understeer, and a set of splitter stay bars have arrived at my work today

havent got round to fitting the carbon fibre canards yet as they will be a last minute thing.

No time to work on the car this weekend as im away and have to work next weekend half day so completion in time for the ring will be tight, but should make it in time

[Edited on 20-06-2017 by SteveoBC]

[Edited on 20-06-2017 by SteveoBC]
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

22nd Jun 17 at 08:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whens the ring trip? Im there 14-17th July
SteveoBC
Premium Member

22nd Jun 17 at 09:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

6th-9th mate, week before yours

should be good, going schumacher karting centre and also popping to Spa to catch the GT Championships at the same time
RichR
Premium Member

30th Jun 17 at 17:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Splitter Tiebars from CarbonMods?
SteveoBC
Premium Member

30th Jun 17 at 20:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good eye Rich, yeh

Member on a puma forum used em for his
Ste
Premium Member

2nd Jul 17 at 07:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

watch you don't get any grease on the outer part of your bushes. a big mistake people make is to grease the outers up to ease installation. the outer part should be a tight fit in the bush and the grease should go on the inside between the bush and crush tube. this is where it's meant to pivot.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

2nd Jul 17 at 18:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well done nice progress.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
SteveoBC
Premium Member

3rd Jul 17 at 11:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Front splitter got whacked on Sunday, was going to fit some carbon canards but i ran out of time to fabricate the correct shape and brackets as im going Wednesday

looks good and should give a tiny bit of front end downforce

before

after

so pretty much all ready for the trip leaving on wednesday and get back the following monday, test driven since the geometry, handles perfectly now, can wait to test it with the new splitter aswell

[Edited on 03-07-2017 by SteveoBC]

[Edited on 03-07-2017 by SteveoBC]
Kev_GSI

11th Jul 17 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

enjoy and take it easy over there
SteveoBC
Premium Member

15th Jul 17 at 18:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got back from the Nurburgring last Monday, got round to uploading everything

Loads of pics from the snappers round the circuit, car drove there and back without a hitch and felt great on track

Managed to stamp out a 9.29 lap (managed a 9.26 last time in the scooby so im getting faster) managed to get 1 lap in on the thursday we arrived and pounded round 5 times on the sunday

Vid of the best lap below, watch in HD
https://youtu.be/O6L97MryE78

SteveoBC
Premium Member

15th Jul 17 at 18:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and before anyone asks the marshals insisted i put gaffer tape over my bonnet pins incase i hit a biker and he went over my bonnet lol
chris_uk
Premium Member

16th Jul 17 at 09:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you should consider getting a smaller dia wheel, when you are turning it looks like your reaching a little too much maybe...

just a thought.
SteveoBC
Premium Member

16th Jul 17 at 11:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could do Chris but dont wanna spend too much more on the car, owes me just over a grand including buying the car, might get some second hand coilovers but as it stands the car handles great from where im sitting

Cant wait to get it out round combe again after all the changes and see the difference
chris_uk
Premium Member

16th Jul 17 at 23:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or you could toe out the front a little.
SteveoBC
Premium Member

17th Jul 17 at 08:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there is that yeh, maybe think about doing it on the next geo when i eventually get some 2nd hand coilovers
Andrew

18th Jul 17 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The thing with the Puma is it will go up in value
SteveoBC
Premium Member

19th Jul 17 at 09:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
The thing with the Puma is it will go up in value

the racing puma, maybe, the millenium/thunder editions...perhaps

this one, i doubt it- standard model that s been stripped out and used for track and has the standard rusty arches lol
SteveoBC
Premium Member

12th Sep 17 at 15:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

went to Forge action day at the weekend, took the Puma of course

had 3 sessions, 3rd session at the end was red flagged twice so footage from the go pro wasnt worth uploading

my mate Georgia had a go and did the middle session in my car (never raced on a track before)

first session for me was the best at 11.45, good few battles and a couple of close calls

spun out for the first time in the dry going up to quarry corner (but got away with it thank god lol)

then later on got a bit too brave and nearly smacked the tyres on the outside of bobbies (me carrying too much speed going in)

but great fun as usual
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiygRIrk5jg
Andrew

17th Sep 17 at 07:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks great fun!
Steve
Premium Member

18th Sep 17 at 08:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Millenium/thunder wont go up in value only one that might is the racing one

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Track car - Ford Puma- ***Nring and Combe vids page 3***NOW SOLD 24 database queries in 0.1916411 seconds