corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 1963 Aston MartinDB4 Concours Detail

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 1963 Aston MartinDB4 Concours Detail
Graeme
Premium Member

User status: Offline
24th May 16 at 07:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thought some may appreciate this car from last week.

Was called by a customer for a very last minute job on this. I'm fully booked till around July but thankfully a customer allowed me to change a booking so I could get this done.

Usually i would like around 3/4 days go get it as best as can be but I only had one. (11 hours)

Not a lot of pictures but was first fully washed and decontaminated, blown and towel dried. Luckily the wheels were brand new so not needing to be cleaned.

It has been restored around 10 years ago and not in a horrendous condition but not great.

After being washed and dried it was masked out to keep it as clean as and prevent any marks on rubbers etc.

Paint readings were taken. I personally like to do it panel by panel as I go around so I know what each panel is like.

Some defects, the whole car was pretty much the same with a few deeper marks.

It also lacked much depth to the finish.

The quarter was my test area, a few combinations I finally settled on what I liked and went round the whole car in 2 stages. Giving it a great gloss levels and really reducing a lot of the swirl and deeper marks.

The whole car was then de-masked blown off any dust and wiped down with an IPA solution. Then given a coat of Swissvax Onyx.

The interior had a full vacuum, dusting all the grills and nooks and then given a satin finish wipe down. All the chrome was polished and sealed with britemax polishes.

Class polished and tyres treated with Autofinesse Satin tyre dressing giving a great as new look tyre.

Looking great and I am yet to hear how it got on but I was pretty happy with how it turned out considering time constraints.

willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

24th May 16 at 08:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice - is this done by yourself? I thought you were a painter/bodywork technician sort of thing

[Edited on 24-05-2016 by willay]
Graeme
Premium Member

24th May 16 at 09:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was a painter Willay. Owned my own detailing business for years but went full time about 18 months ago. And it's Aston Martin central round here being so close to AM works.

GM VALETING on Facebook and Instagram etc. :-)
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

24th May 16 at 09:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice
nathy_87

24th May 16 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like these sort of threads, please keep them coming Graeme.
Ben J

24th May 16 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

*Awaits the anti detailing mob*

[Edited on 24-05-2016 by Ben J]
GB123
Premium Member

24th May 16 at 13:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did you wear soft trousers?
Graeme
Premium Member

24th May 16 at 20:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Full custom made saville row microfibre 3 piece suit.

Was back at the customers today and found out it got 2nd place. Only beaten in the class by a fresh full nut and bolt restoration DB5.
random dav
Premium Member

27th May 16 at 14:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks ace!

What machines/pads/compounds do you most commonly use?

WRLFC !

Project cars
3CorsaMeal

27th May 16 at 14:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What make are the tyres and does the owner rate them?
Graeme
Premium Member

27th May 16 at 15:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by random dav
Looks ace!

Varies but mainly Kochchemie polishes and chemical guys pads or rupes pads.

Ben J

27th May 16 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I see you now use a paint depth gauge after previously slating them!
random dav
Premium Member

28th May 16 at 01:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graeme
quote:
Looks ace!

Kochchemie any good?
We mainly use the Rupes machines, pads and compounds and can't fault 'em. We have Festool Rotary machines but we are having problems with 'em... even had the rep come out to try and solve it. Which rotary are you using?

WRLFC !

Project cars
Graeme
Premium Member

29th May 16 at 18:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben J
I see you now use a paint depth gauge after previously slating them!

For a lot of stuff I don't really use it. It's only when you need to take a lot off. Flatting anything out. Mainly I use common sense and experience.
Graeme
Premium Member

29th May 16 at 18:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Graeme
quote:
Looks ace!

Kochchemie any good?
We mainly use the Rupes machines, pads and compounds and can't fault 'em. We have Festool Rotary machines but we are having problems with 'em... even had the rep come out to try and solve it. Which rotary are you using?

For most paint yes I think there really good. Never heard anything bad bout festool. For my rotary I have a Milwaukee that I bought years and it's been great.
random dav
Premium Member

31st May 16 at 12:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will have a look into them

WRLFC !

Project cars

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 1963 Aston MartinDB4 Concours Detail 23 database queries in 0.0174310 seconds