corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Ideas for a shed roof?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Ideas for a shed roof?
Ricky352

User status: Offline
29th Apr 16 at 14:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm in the process of building a large shed of about 19 feet in length and about 10 feet wide. I've concreted in some fence posts and have been applying tongue and groove weatherboard between these. I'm going to use it to store my Corsa, bicycle etc etc.

I've no real experience at this sort of stuff, so was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas of what to do for the roof?

I was originally thinking of perspex, but it can be dear enough for the proper stuff and the cheap stuff isn't great. Then I thought would this let a lot of light in and fade paintwork on my Corsa etc?

Anyone built their own before or have any recommendations I could consider?

[Edited on 29-04-2016 by Ricky352]

[Edited on 29-04-2016 by Ricky352]
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

29th Apr 16 at 16:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You looked into prefab garages?

Probably cheaper and easier to get one of those
Andrew

30th Apr 16 at 08:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Felt?

My old man built a couple of sheds. 25 years still solid. His are sat on flags on a slight dip that allows water to run.

My lockup is the same with a felt roof.
pow
Premium Member

30th Apr 16 at 08:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

THose corrugated sheets I imagine?
DaveyLC

30th Apr 16 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shuttering ply and felt.. That's what I used to cover a nearly 4x8m structure
nibnob21
Premium Member

30th Apr 16 at 22:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Make sure you use some sort of insulation. If you just stick with a single skin of corrugated metal or perspex you'll get condensation that'll drip onto whatever's below it.

I moved into a house in November that just has corrugated metal sheets, and the garage is cold and damp. If a proper insulating board or felt was used in its construction I'm confident I wouldn't have these issues.

MX5 Project Thread
davegreen
Premium Member

2nd May 16 at 05:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did this to my shed's roof

[img]http://[/img]
but to be serious, box profile roof sheets, you can get all sorts and colours and insulated. just done mine at home, 28' x 10' and was under £400 for the metal and all screw.

http://www.cladco.co.uk/
AndyKent

2nd May 16 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by nibnob21
Make sure you use some sort of insulation. If you just stick with a single skin of corrugated metal or perspex you'll get condensation that'll drip onto whatever's below it.

I moved into a house in November that just has corrugated metal sheets, and the garage is cold and damp. If a proper insulating board or felt was used in its construction I'm confident I wouldn't have these issues.

Waste of time if you haven't got any heating. The vapour will just condensate above the insulation where you can't see it.

Either ventilation or heating needed. Insulation (depending on its type) will just trap water and rot the timbers out.
Ricky352

3rd May 16 at 08:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for replys folks.

Mark I've already started building it, so a prefab is out of the question. Would they not be dear enough though?

Felt was a thought - that's what's on the roof of my other shed. Those box profile roof sheets look interesting too. Will price them both up, and will price the felt with shuttering board.

I'm not going to be too worried about insulation. I have another structure with corregated perspex roof and no insluation, and although a bit of condensation does form and fall, it's really not that much.

Now swaying towards felt or box profile sheets - I've a mate that should be able to wire in a light from the house, so I'll not need to worrying about utilising daylight.

Thanks for replys!

IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

3rd May 16 at 09:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.edecks.co.uk/m/products/18743/73/256/0/Clear-Multiwall-Polycarbonate-10mm-(2000mm-x-700mm)

I built Dow the side of my mum n dads house with this.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

3rd May 16 at 09:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.shedsworld.co.uk/p/Storemore_10ft_x_19ft_(3.05m_x_5.79m)_Canberra_Garage.htm?product_id=264880&utm_source=pla&gclid=Cj0KEQjwmKG5BRDv4YaE5t6oqf0BEiQAwqDNfJ4YwK7lhY_GUBJyfGZEEDLRTvJ39wOQpfB1jTUiRaAaAtHM8P8HAQ
Ricky352

3rd May 16 at 09:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks good Mark, like the way it says it doesn't let too much UV through. Would cost about £300 to use those if my maths is right.
Ricky352

3rd May 16 at 09:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by IvIarkgraham
http://www.shedsworld.co.uk/p/Storemore_10ft_x_19ft_(3.05m_x_5.79m)_Canberra_Garage.htm?product_id=264880&utm_source=pla&gclid=Cj0KEQjwmKG5BRDv4YaE5t6oqf0BEiQAwqDNfJ4YwK7lhY_GUBJyfGZEEDLRTvJ39wOQpfB1jTUiRaAaAtHM8P8HAQ

Cheaper than I thought they'd be. Would you need a concrete floor for these though. In my shed I'm planning on using flag stones, which were already in the garden.

I originally wanted to build mine for £500. It already stands me £200 and I'm nowhere near even half way. Guts of £1,000 probably. Kind of enjoying building it though.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

3rd May 16 at 12:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it ould be better on a concrete base but I doubt its needed
DaveyLC

5th May 16 at 08:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by IvIarkgraham

These are awful.. I had one at my old house, easy to assemble and you get a lot of your money BUT (and its a big but) they suffer REALLY BADLY from condensation, the roof is like a permanent rain cloud.
Graeme
Premium Member

30th May 16 at 01:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is mine.

Flat roof with osb board and then felted on top. The angle at the end has Perspex to let light in.

New Poll