corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Definitly change/upgrade battery especially if you have sub/amp, etc

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Definitly change/upgrade battery especially if you have sub/amp, etc
eyeopen
Banned

User status: Offline
7th Jan 16 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well, just thought id mention it as it made a lot of difference to my car and the sub sound as it should now a bit more solid.

My car is set so lights come on when I open the car for 30 seconds(secret hidden menu selection) that add the sub and well its never felt as fast and reliable after sub fitted, I believe it did affect the battery power.

I also cleaned the positive negative terminals and altogether think its worked wonders. I recommend to all to upgrade batteries especially with sub/amps and LEDs, Hids fogs been used more etc

I do feel the car is slightly quicker, but could be due to cold and or cleaner terminals, but having upgraded the 6 year old battery I feel more confident with the car battery not dying on me now!

I went from 360A to 750A and 50Ah to 74AH.

Also checked the secret menu and the charge coming back is slightly higher than before, it goes over 14v now(car on) before just bearly touched it.

[Edited on 07-01-2016 by eyeopen]

[Edited on 07-01-2016 by eyeopen]
3CorsaMeal

7th Jan 16 at 23:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah i had a duff battery and didn't notice it. Was only when my charger broke and a proper person in a shop tested my battery we noticed it was down on CCA. With the new battery it started much faster and i felt the windscreen wipers were faster and the electric windows more responsive.

I now take battery off every 3 months and give it a charging cycle with the new charger. Helps the plates or something.
Tiger

7th Jan 16 at 23:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you upgrade the battery, you'll need to upgrade the alternator too otherwise it's pointless.
3CorsaMeal

7th Jan 16 at 23:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep basically the same as fitting bigger tyres. You need a bigger footpump to fill them.
eyeopen
Banned

8th Jan 16 at 01:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
Yeah i had a duff battery and didn't notice it. Was only when my charger broke and a proper person in a shop tested my battery we noticed it was down on CCA. With the new battery it started much faster and i felt the windscreen wipers were faster and the electric windows more responsive.

I now take battery off every 3 months and give it a charging cycle with the new charger. Helps the plates or something.

That's a good idea and yes agree can be so much different once changed. Before HIDs fitted the lights use to totally go off and flash a bit with music, I think slowly the sub etc took its toll on it. But the interior lights don't flash now with music on loud and I do feel every thing is little better yes I noticed with windows too every so slightly.. But also it does feel lights work tad better too. Not worried about using fogs now too, which is good. The car does feel more alive now.

Most probably cleaning terminals helped a bit too.
eyeopen
Banned

8th Jan 16 at 01:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From what read I thought to a certain extent the alternator can cope to charge battery?

well il see how it goes.

any one know what the battery stats on hidden menu mean? eg one number is volts what does other number stand for? the battery stats are the ones after digital speedo and rev meter.

[Edited on 08-01-2016 by eyeopen]
MatthewR

8th Jan 16 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

8th Jan 16 at 23:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have 2 amps, a sub, HID's, Camera, Sat nav all running on a standard battery with no problems
--ToM--

8th Jan 16 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jesus wept
3CorsaMeal

8th Jan 16 at 23:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's numberwang
eyeopen
Banned

9th Jan 16 at 01:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by IvIarkgraham
I have 2 amps, a sub, HID's, Camera, Sat nav all running on a standard battery with no problems

oh really, lucky you! lol. probably sound better with an upgrade though.
Ian
Site Administrator

9th Jan 16 at 09:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its a complete placebo, the Ah figure is how many hours the battery can supply a given draw of however many amps. So you'll be able to have the radio on for longer without the engine running.

Not difference whatsoever to audio quality. If you want some actual physics on your side which would actually benefit a massive audio system with very large instantaneous current draws then you should read about capacitors.

But changing the battery in the bay, nope.

Perhaps its less likely to not start in the morning. Bonus. But audio quality, nope.
Generation

9th Jan 16 at 09:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can we have oyle: back
Tiger

9th Jan 16 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What Ian says, if you have a big bassy system, you want a 12-14v, 1 microfarad capacitor on your amp power supply.
eyeopen
Banned

9th Jan 16 at 11:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Its a complete placebo, the Ah figure is how many hours the battery can supply a given draw of however many amps. So you'll be able to have the radio on for longer without the engine running.

Not difference whatsoever to audio quality. If you want some actual physics on your side which would actually benefit a massive audio system with very large instantaneous current draws then you should read about capacitors.

But changing the battery in the bay, nope.

Perhaps its less likely to not start in the morning. Bonus. But audio quality, nope.

<Maybe, But I believe so, plus could be me cleaning the connectors also. However all in all am happier confident with car and a 6 year old battery is still old.
eyeopen
Banned

9th Jan 16 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger
What Ian says, if you have a big bassy system, you want a 12-14v, 1 microfarad capacitor on your amp power supply.

Another thing is, This is family car, so I'm not only one whom drives it, also I am the only one whom blasts the music, so guess will charge up when I'm not driving, lol. hopefully now more than before.
Ian
Site Administrator

9th Jan 16 at 12:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The charge and draw rates will be identical. The only possible reason is that its new not 6 years old. They do last longer if they're kept cycled but no harm knowing its new. But it hasn't changed how the audio performs.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

9th Jan 16 at 13:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My audio gets better the fast I drive. The faster you go the better the charge the battery gets.

Get over 100 its like linking park are performing a concert on my rear seat
eyeopen
Banned

9th Jan 16 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol, if you say so.

but sometimes ignorance is bliss

honestly, I think it has made a change, whatever it was that did, I'm happy. now to go sort this heating issue out!
Tiger

9th Jan 16 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by eyeopen
quote:

Another thing is, This is family car, so I'm not only one whom drives it, also I am the only one whom blasts the music, so guess will charge up when I'm not driving, lol. hopefully now more than before.

You didn't make it clear if you had an amp and sub, a capacitor won't take up any room and won't affect it being a family car any more than an amp and sub will.
eyeopen
Banned

9th Jan 16 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mentioned sub, how would it work without a amp? lol
Tiger

9th Jan 16 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to have a sub that worked without an amp, granted it was 1998. Used to connect it up in parallel with the rear speakers.
eyeopen
Banned

10th Jan 16 at 01:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh really couldn't of been much powerful though?

I have Jamo 365 concert speakers, back in the day always wanted to put them in the car I think I did once with one briefly in a 106, but it just didn't power up.

[Edited on 10-01-2016 by eyeopen]
basslinecorsa
Premium Member

11th Jan 16 at 15:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

one microfarad?!?

thats tiny ... I used a 10 farad on my system with a 300amp breaker (current draw was crazy)

Project Scarlett - http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=661417
taylorboosh

11th Jan 16 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did he say his new battery made the car quicker?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Definitly change/upgrade battery especially if you have sub/amp, etc 23 database queries in 0.1988652 seconds