corsasport.co.uk
 

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » amp sub setting?


New Topic

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.


Author amp sub setting?
eyeopen
Banned

Registered: 15th Nov 14
User status: Offline
5th Jan 16 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a vibe V12, 12 inch 1600watt amp in car. built in amp. around 550 Rms I believe. I didn't want to go to far with install as its family car, I'm not only one whom uses it etc, and some times(once fitted) can be instal out no probs.

I went to a road radio yesterday, I had amp on gain 100%, bas boost 100% and 50-250hz just under half way to get lower frequency bass, also to turn it down a bit, as is louder with this up.

he turned gain 3/4 up and bass boost half way.

I was under the impression the amp wouldn't be able to blow up the sub as they are not powerful enough. Hence made that way, however guy at road radio said I shouldn't keep it up all the way as sub could blow, he turned it rite down, after I asked him about it of course, however it just didn't sound rite for me. with his setting on amp I would have to turn bass up on stereo to hear it, and he said its better as car speakers give bass if its up on stereo.

My setting were with bass at 0 on stereo and amp up as mentioned above.

so my question is which is best? and will my sub being set as above be prone to blow?
Balling
Premium Member

Avatar

Registered: 7th Apr 04
Location: Denmark
User status: Offline
5th Jan 16 at 13:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How does the sub receive its signal? If you're using the standard headunit, make sure your fader (front to rear) setting is neutral as it's likely only sending either front or rear speaker signal to the sub.

"Bass boost" should not damage your sub as it simply brings the lowest frequencies a bit up (same as the bass setting on your headunit). It will damage your music though, but that's a different topic entirely.

Depending on the sub, try opening the crossover a bit more. 250 Hz sounds like a tad much for a 12" sub to handle, but I'd start at the open end and work my way down from there.
I'd also do this with "bass boost" all the way down, as you want to use an untainted signal to get the best setting. This is probably also the reason you feel the sub plays louder when adjusting the frequency knob. It really shouldn't affect volume at all.

Generally speaking, if you can hear the sub playing, then you've turned it up too much.


taylorboosh
Member

Registered: 3rd Apr 07
User status: Offline
5th Jan 16 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need a decent head unit to set it up.....

Amped speakers also sound way better....

Turn volume on amps to zero as well as all other settings

Turn headunit volume to max...

Select front speakers only on hu and then adjust the volume until just before they start to distort, then adjust frequency so you dont hear the bass through them

Then swith to rear speakers and repeat

Then do the same on the sub, but adjust frequency until you only hear bass...


Thats the basic way ive always set them up (obviously you can fine tune from here), everyone always says they sound good


Whether you can do this on you hu and un amped speakers will depend on how good the equaliser is in it
basslinecorsa
Premium Member

Avatar

Registered: 15th Jul 09
Location: Gravesend
User status: Offline
5th Jan 16 at 14:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^^^ that is perfect advise, its how I have always set up my systems. Like this you will never hear distortion at any volume level, I hate it when people have a sound system but when they try to show off how good it is, all you hear is the sub farting and popping like a good'un. As taylorboosh said, amped speakers are infinately better

250Hz is waaaaay too high. Try to get it 30hz to 80hz


Project Scarlett - http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=661417
Ian
Site Administrator

Avatar

Registered: 28th Aug 99
Location: Liverpool
User status: Online
5th Jan 16 at 14:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'd only really know by hearing it but normally if you have to have things on max, something isn't right.

Whether you are able to blow it up should not be the question. Although that isn't generally down to the amount of power you put in to the sub, also other factors like the shape of the wave which if you're running a cheap amp on max will be all wrong.

To actually know - look at it on an oscilloscope.

To kind of know - listen to it with a trained ear.


Corsa B lap belts required
eyeopen
Banned

Registered: 15th Nov 14
User status: Offline
5th Jan 16 at 16:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
How does the sub receive its signal? If you're using the standard headunit, make sure your fader (front to rear) setting is neutral as it's likely only sending either front or rear speaker signal to the sub.

"Bass boost" should not damage your sub as it simply brings the lowest frequencies a bit up (same as the bass setting on your headunit). It will damage your music though, but that's a different topic entirely.

Depending on the sub, try opening the crossover a bit more. 250 Hz sounds like a tad much for a 12" sub to handle, but I'd start at the open end and work my way down from there.
I'd also do this with "bass boost" all the way down, as you want to use an untainted signal to get the best setting. This is probably also the reason you feel the sub plays louder when adjusting the frequency knob. It really shouldn't affect volume at all.

Generally speaking, if you can hear the sub playing, then you've turned it up too much.



thankx and its connected to standard head unit, its on 0 balance n fadder, I am told the sub/amp can give out good mids hence not need 6*9s. and Id rather the bass come from all speakers but fi I turn the bass up on the stereo it will be using the amp power less rite? as Ill have to turn amp down id rather turn amp up and this will drain less battery?

the frequency is 50hz-250hz, I keep it just below half so like 125?
eyeopen
Banned

Registered: 15th Nov 14
User status: Offline
5th Jan 16 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

amp/sub in question http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vibe-Blackair-V12-Vented-Ported-12-Active-Sub-Subwoofer-Box-Enclosure-1600W-/360684054230?hash=item53fa71e6d6:g:AQQAAMXQ74JTPsxX

[Edited on 05-01-2016 by eyeopen]
eyeopen
Banned

Registered: 15th Nov 14
User status: Offline
5th Jan 16 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by taylorboosh
You need a decent head unit to set it up.....

Amped speakers also sound way better....

Turn volume on amps to zero as well as all other settings

Turn headunit volume to max...

Select front speakers only on hu and then adjust the volume until just before they start to distort, then adjust frequency so you dont hear the bass through them

Then swith to rear speakers and repeat

Then do the same on the sub, but adjust frequency until you only hear bass...


Thats the basic way ive always set them up (obviously you can fine tune from here), everyone always says they sound good


Whether you can do this on you hu and un amped speakers will depend on how good the equaliser is in it



I wouldn't change HU as cars not alarmed, hence no 6*9s either.

Id rather deep bass come from rear than bass from car speakers, I like deep vibrating bass, but not loud is that makes sense.

I don't turn it too loud, but I understand you should be able to only problem is Mp3s some are louder than others hense sometimes need to turn bass up on HU just to hear it in some songs hence why I wish to keep amp on full (full gain and bass boost) less frequency.
eyeopen
Banned

Registered: 15th Nov 14
User status: Offline
5th Jan 16 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by basslinecorsa
^^^ that is perfect advise, its how I have always set up my systems. Like this you will never hear distortion at any volume level, I hate it when people have a sound system but when they try to show off how good it is, all you hear is the sub farting and popping like a good'un. As taylorboosh said, amped speakers are infinately better

250Hz is waaaaay too high. Try to get it 30hz to 80hz


to be honest mine doesn't do this, I keep treble high too, and if need might change speakers in car, I don't generally keep the volume too loud so want amp high so can hear bass with low music.
Balling
Premium Member

Avatar

Registered: 7th Apr 04
Location: Denmark
User status: Offline
5th Jan 16 at 18:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by eyeopen
Id rather the bass come from all speakers but fi I turn the bass up on the stereo it will be using the amp power less rite? as Ill have to turn amp down id rather turn amp up and this will drain less battery?
I don't understand what you're trying to say with this.

When you say amp, do you mean the built in amp in the sub?

You want bass to come from all speakers and the sub to play midrange? I'm not following at all. Either you're misunderstanding how a subwoofer works or I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to achieve.


Balling
Premium Member

Avatar

Registered: 7th Apr 04
Location: Denmark
User status: Offline
5th Jan 16 at 18:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by eyeopen
Id rather deep bass come from rear than bass from car speakers
So you don't want bass from the speakers?


eyeopen
Banned

Registered: 15th Nov 14
User status: Offline
5th Jan 16 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
Originally posted by eyeopen
Id rather the bass come from all speakers but fi I turn the bass up on the stereo it will be using the amp power less rite? as Ill have to turn amp down id rather turn amp up and this will drain less battery?
I don't understand what you're trying to say with this.

When you say amp, do you mean the built in amp in the sub?

You want bass to come from all speakers and the sub to play midrange? I'm not following at all. Either you're misunderstanding how a subwoofer works or I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to achieve.


way I understand is if I have bass up on HU then the amp will have to be turned down as it will be too much bass, so if I keep bass 0 on HU and turn bass up on amp/sub then it will be amplified hence not take as much power?

If I keep bass up on HU would be nice to have some bass in the car from speakers however, I would rather it come from amp, as I'm a bit paranoid with using too much power after having battery issues.
eyeopen
Banned

Registered: 15th Nov 14
User status: Offline
5th Jan 16 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
Originally posted by eyeopen
Id rather deep bass come from rear than bass from car speakers
So you don't want bass from the speakers?


as just replied I do but don't wish to take too much power from battery, and cant have bass on car speakers and have amp up as well can I?

 
New Topic

New Poll

  Related Threads Author Forum Replies Views Last Post
Subs Drew Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice 2 261
22nd Mar 03 at 21:37
by someone
 
ohms chris_mufc Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice 3 810
3rd Jan 04 at 02:07
by corb
 
sony koolkorsa General Chat 2 302
10th Sep 05 at 05:30
by korsa_c
 
Infinity 12" Sub + Amp + Box Almost New 1.6Sport Parts Offered 5 279
1st Aug 06 at 14:10
by 1.6Sport
 
sub and amp / install help before i cry Markus Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice 17 288
27th May 09 at 16:48
by grez12
 

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » amp sub setting? 28 database queries in 0.0177281 seconds