corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » B204 Engine Conversion

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author B204 Engine Conversion
oJNAo
Premium Member

User status: Offline
25th Nov 15 at 23:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Cup editions? As much as they have a good spec I just find them an ugly car and too similar to the bog standards
Ian
Site Administrator

26th Nov 15 at 01:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by taylorboosh
why do you think lets still hold a premium? Because they are far better

And probably the feeling that the conversion is easier.

I'd feel more confident doing a LET based on stuff I could search on here for, never mind the rest of the web.

Saab stuff less so. Probably the information is out there but not as easy to come across.

There's loads of variety in the engines for a start. I've been keeping my eyes out for some to come in salvage and do a kit up with the bits but its a sheer gamble, could end up spending strong money for the undesirable engines.
oJNAo
Premium Member

26th Nov 15 at 02:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
why do you think lets still hold a premium? Because they are far better

And probably the feeling that the conversion is easier.

I'd feel more confident doing a LET based on stuff I could search on here for, never mind the rest of the web.

Saab stuff less so. Probably the information is out there but not as easy to come across.

There's loads of variety in the engines for a start. I've been keeping my eyes out for some to come in salvage and do a kit up with the bits but its a sheer gamble, could end up spending strong money for the undesirable engines.

That is true, that's why I've asked on here to gather more info on it. The SaabWorx group page on Facebook page has been the best for information regarding the conversion.

The conversion mounts for the Saab engine into a Corsa are hard to come by/expensive and most are fabricated by the people doing the conversions themselves. So it would be a rather difficult task for myself
Nic Barnes

26th Nov 15 at 07:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
Just buy a Clio 172/182.

Probably cost about as much as the conversion for your car, will handle better, be far better equipped, far nice to drive, look nicer and probably be cheaper to insure than a converted Corsa.
some bloke asks about doing a conversion on a corsa and this is your answer on a corsa website? Shame on you.
taylorboosh

26th Nov 15 at 09:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hes right though
Nic Barnes

26th Nov 15 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not what was asked though was it. If the guy wanted a clio he would have asked about a clio.
Jambo

26th Nov 15 at 13:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
Just buy a Clio 172/182.

Probably cost about as much as the conversion for your car, will handle better, be far better equipped, far nice to drive, look nicer and probably be cheaper to insure than a converted Corsa.
some bloke asks about doing a conversion on a corsa and this is your answer on a corsa website? Shame on you.

Oh the shame.
Nic Barnes

26th Nov 15 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No need to kick off pal
oJNAo
Premium Member

26th Nov 15 at 23:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm open to all options, I did make a previous thread regarding a possible faster car.

I think the way my insurance is, a C20XE converted Corsa might not actually be as bad as I'm getting sily quotes for 1.8T Audi A3's and 2.0 Clio's.

Simon_16v

27th Nov 15 at 08:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm surprised people still bother doing engine conversions on older cars. I'd seriously put the money towards another car, a car fast in a straight line is boring, you want something that can use the power on corners too.
gazza808

27th Nov 15 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

They are no more reliable at power - why do you think lets still hold a premium? Because they are far better

Any proof to prove this statement?

Considering the Saab lumps are proven to take 400bhp+ (many people even over 500bhp+) reliably with out needing to open them up, try that with with a let considering most are shite now.
Ecu that can be mapped by your self at home using t5 suite? So your not stuck with chip tunes or having to go standalone to get decent drivabilty like what happens with a let.

Ps insurance wise it's cheaper for me to insure my s3 than a normal a3 1.8t and cheaper again to insure a audi tt 225 or an s4.

[Edited on 27-11-2015 by gazza808]
oJNAo
Premium Member

29th Nov 15 at 20:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gazza808

Ps insurance wise it's cheaper for me to insure my s3 than a normal a3 1.8t and cheaper again to insure a audi tt 225 or an s4.

Strange how insurance works eh

I didn't even bother looking at the sport models seeing as the 1.8T was giving me silly figures on insurance

[Edited on 29-11-2015 by oJNAo]
Y869 SRA

30th Nov 15 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by oJNAo
quote:

Strange how insurance works eh

I didn't even bother looking at the sport models seeing as the 1.8T was giving me silly figures on insurance

[Edited on 29-11-2015 by oJNAo]

Thats a weird one. Would cost me an extra £50 to insure a mk1 Cupra R 225 over my mk1 Cupra 180.
taylorboosh

30th Nov 15 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

They are no more reliable at power - why do you think lets still hold a premium? Because they are far better

Considering the Saab lumps are proven to take 400bhp+ (many people even over 500bhp+) reliably with out needing to open them up, try that with with a let considering most are shite now.
Ecu that can be mapped by your self at home using t5 suite? So your not stuck with chip tunes or having to go standalone to get decent drivabilty like what happens with a let.

Show me all these high power saab lumps.... Utter tosh man, shite engines that are every bit as likely to fail
Nic Barnes

30th Nov 15 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most of them do fail, and often. But Internet..........
gazza808

1st Dec 15 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

Show me all these high power saab lumps.... Utter tosh man, shite engines that are every bit as likely to fail

Nay hard to find, use your good translate and have alook on some main land European sites. Ps the guy who built the 4wd white corsa has a big hp Saab.

Just pop over onto a uk Saab forum there's many people running big power.

So I think your the one chatting out your arse.

[Edited on 01-12-2015 by gazza808]
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

2nd Dec 15 at 15:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Around a 400bhp one in TimeAttack, Standard internals bigger turbo
taylorboosh

2nd Dec 15 at 21:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah im really not, theyre nothing special
Nic Barnes

3rd Dec 15 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Conversions I've seen haven't really lasted as long as let conversions. Most of the claimed big power ones break all the time. Good engines?
--ToM--

4th Dec 15 at 07:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In all fairness the Saab lumps are considerably stronger in standard form than a let motor that's just fact.

In a Vauxhall conversion id choose a let all day to keep it "Vauxhall" that's just me.

All the chat about Saab lumps blowing up is more down to driveway conversions by idiots who turn boost up etc and don't tune the car correctly.

Nige p is local to me and he runs the Saab forums etc his car is a mk3 Astra gsi running a b204 which is well over 500bhp running just intercooler exhaust injectors massive turbo and custom maps, standard internals and it's been st that power for years, the only issue was the head lifting off the block on boost so replaced bolts with ARPs and resolved it.

There a cheaper alternative but with cheap certainly in this case doesn't come shite, I'd pick a Saab lump over a let if I was doing a car with its sole purpose to be power/track use etc, something like John is building is be fitting a let like I did my cav.

[Edited on 04-12-2015 by --ToM--]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » B204 Engine Conversion 22 database queries in 0.1925080 seconds