corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Help with Mini after market stereo stuff...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Help with Mini after market stereo stuff...
kz

User status: Offline
15th Nov 15 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi guys, sorry about this... lol, but I'm finding the Mini forums to be pretty dead so am left days waiting for answers!

I bought the appropriate ISO adapter from Halfords today to wire up an Alpine headunit. There was only one type and it looks like it's going to fit perfectly. However... the pins it needs to connect to are blanked off with some weird blue thing! Am I meant to remove this? I tried doing it but it seems like I'm really going to have to force them off. I'm worried about breaking them in case I need to put them back or am barking up the wrong tree!

Any advice?

This is the ISO adapter...

http://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/stereo-fitting-accessories/autoleads-bmw-harness-adpator-pc2-75-4?_$ja=kw:skimlinks_phg|tsid:40392&cm_mmc=Affiliates-_-PerformanceHorizon-_-skimlinks_phg-_-TopLink

It doesn't have the HK sound system by the way, which I know can cause problems.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

15th Nov 15 at 21:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dead link
kz

15th Nov 15 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fuck sake. Google Images & Photobucket don't seem to work anymore

This any better?

IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

15th Nov 15 at 21:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the halfords link is dead
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

15th Nov 15 at 21:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/stereo-fitting-accessories/autoleads-bmw-harness-adpator-pc2-75-4
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

15th Nov 15 at 21:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

doesnt look like it will fit at all
kz

15th Nov 15 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Now your Halfords link is dead lol. This one...

http://i1.adis.ws/i/washford/255075?$pd_main_v2$

If those blanking blue bits come off, it'll connect up... all the wires go into where those blue bits are.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

15th Nov 15 at 22:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yank them and see
kz

15th Nov 15 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm scared

Nah I did try getting them out using a small screwdriver but to be honest they weren't really budging... so am worried I'm going to have to snap them to get them out. Oh well I'll give MiniTorque a couple more days to see if anyone's done this then just do iiit.
Dom

16th Nov 15 at 09:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From a few seconds of Googling - there's a release tab you lift and the blue bars slide upwards....apparently
kz

16th Nov 15 at 09:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I should have taken a picture from above as well. The left one looks like that's possible, but the right one's sealed up.
jay.jay

16th Nov 15 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shouldn't need to remove the blue tabs, the pins slide either side of those tabs. The tabs are just to remove the 2 iso blocks from the quad lock connector
kz

16th Nov 15 at 21:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Okay well it definitely wasn't going on before... I did eventually manage to remove the left one by sliding it up with a small screwdriver. The right one I had to snip out with wire cutters, but there you go!

However... no power. I read a few people on Amazon reviews saying the adapters wiring doesn't always match up to the ones in the Mini. I take it red is power? Well the Mini one is red and some other colour combined, and yeah, it doesn't match up. Long shot but anyone know of an online diagram!?
jay.jay

16th Nov 15 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It needs a switched live too I.e one that is live when the ignition is on, original radio uses canbus to switch on with ignition.
kz

17th Nov 15 at 09:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I found this...

http://audiowiringdiagram.com/car/2006-mini-cooper-s-headunit-audio-radio-wiring-install-diagram-schematic-colors/

So I can go purple/blue to blue on the adapter, and red/brown to red on the adapter. However seeing as though the Alpine headunit goes from the unit itself to an Alpine adapter, then the ISO Mini converting adapter then to the actual Mini wiring (phew) I think, if possible, I'd be better off moving the Mini wiring; then I'd only have to change one set of things round... wondering if I can just a couple of safety pins in there to make sure it all works before I continue?
Dom

17th Nov 15 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If a switched-live is available on one of the pins of the Mini harness (but on the wrong pin etc), then i would keep the Mini harness intact and make the changes to your Mini-to-ISO adaptor - that way you can revert back to the original headunit with minimal fuss.

And if you've got one, then i'd be using a DVM/volt meter to test the swtiched-live rather than a shining new headunit
kz

17th Nov 15 at 16:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not a new headunit btw... predates my very first car! Brilliant little thing though, bought it in 2003 and it's been in every car I've owned since!

Anyway, think I'm going to have to give up and go Halfords lol; this is getting way out of my league. I tried bypassing with separate wiring to see if it would turn on... and sparks started flying out the adapter

Just in case there is any further advice before I make the call, this is what all the gear looks like. Apologies for the night time pictures. From the Mini...

The adapter...

Where it connects to the Alpine wiring...

Dom

17th Nov 15 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Going off that pin-out link you gave - pin 1 (white) and pin 2 (grey) are remotes; pin 3 (red/brown) is live; pin 4 (purple/blue) is switched live; pin 8 (brown) is ground.
Although pin 5 doesn't seem to match up being white/grey - possibly illumination.

So on the ISO block (no idea on pin-outs) it should be, red is live, blue is switched live, black is ground, yellow is illumination.

However, i'd grab the pin-out of your headunit (they're usually in the manual) and then trace it all back (label it up if need be).

But i would really recommend that you start buzzing things out with a DVM/volt meter before sticking your headunit on the end of the harnesses otherwise as you've found, you'll get sparks and/or result in a dead headunit (if the fuse doesn't catch it)
kz

18th Nov 15 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for your help mate!

Anyway done this 'properly' today as in wired in the live, switched live and ground... nothing. Decided to just bypass the adapter altogether and wire it directly into the headunit wiring still nothing!

Is the above actually all you need to get some power to the headunit? Or are the other ones you mentioned, i.e. remotes and illumination required as well?
Dom

18th Nov 15 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All you need is live and ground. The headunits switched live needs to be connected to power but it doesn't necessarily need to be a switched live, rather it could be permanent live.

Is the headunit working? Has the fuse blown? Might be worth checking on a bench with a power supply or battery Similarly, are you sure you're getting power at the mini's harness? Again, using a DVM/volt meter would help you here.

[Edited on 18-11-2015 by Dom]
kz

18th Nov 15 at 20:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Headunit was taken out of my Clio before it sold last week - working perfectly.

Mini stereo works perfectly too.

I do have access to a power supply workstation at work... but can't really see how it would have gone! Very strange. What are you looking for with a meter; that there's 12v on the red?
Dom

21st Nov 15 at 00:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kz
What are you looking for with a meter; that there's 12v on the red?

That the pinout you found is correct, ie - 3 is live, 4 is switched and 8 is ground, and there isn't something fishy going on.
But it's worth checking your headunit and the fuse, just in case.
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

21st Nov 15 at 10:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why are you changing the heady it anyway? There's literally nothing wrong. With the original one.
kz

21st Nov 15 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can you install an amp and sub to it? That's the only reason I guess, plus my Alpine headunit can read MP3 discs which is quite handy.
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

21st Nov 15 at 19:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can install them to the standard unit.
Also, the standard unit you can fit an aux cable. And I don't know if it will read an MP3 CD or not I never tried?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Help with Mini after market stereo stuff... 22 database queries in 0.1020410 seconds