corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Using an old router as an access point.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Using an old router as an access point.
Cavey

User status: Offline
5th Oct 15 at 08:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically my gran got roped into Talk talk TV, a youview box. Which apparently for some reason doesn't have wireless built in. They suggest homepage. But before spending money on that.

Is it possible to use the old router as a wireless access point and have that under the TV. So old router wireless connects to new one then TV box is wired onto that. I can only seem to find solutions that mean the old router has to be wired to the new one which is useless
pow
Premium Member

5th Oct 15 at 12:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can you flash it with DD_WRT?
Cavey

5th Oct 15 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haven't got a clue, it's not with me at the moment.

From the guides I found, I turn of DHCP on the old router, set it to a static IP, connect it with ethernet to the new router, then I can access it on the network, but that's no help to me at all really.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/network-wifi/how-set-up-router-as-repeater-3494655/

I assume that's what you're on about then? I'll have a look at make/model numbers next time i'm round there

willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

5th Oct 15 at 14:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends how complex the old router is, either set up the wireless and disable DHCP on the old router so the new router gives out a DHCP address and everything will be OK - or disable DHCP on the new router and enable it on the old router, setting the default gateway to the IP of the new router.

New Poll