corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Creating a wireless access point

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Creating a wireless access point
Toby
Premium Member

User status: Offline
29th Jul 12 at 15:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have found a new router and want to know if i can use it as an access point to work in conjunction with the current router to repeat the signal? As it would be useful to have 3 more LAN points (already have a homeplug) and a wireless signal where I plan to put it.

Initially would like to set it up via a homeplug but useful if it could be used wirelessly which also seems possible?

The router in question is a Technicolor TG585N (cant find any custom firmware) and the other router is a Netgear DGND3700.

I know the easiest way would be to buy one but im not that desperate i would spend £40 + on a proper one.

[Edited on 29-07-2012 by Toby]
Sam
Premium Member

29th Jul 12 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Router is a Thomson one (I assume it's an O2 supplied router).

http://www.tested.com/news/how-to/298-how-to-use-an-old-router-to-expand-your-wi-fi-network/ should answer your questions.

Short answer is to just match your existing wireless router's wireless settings (channel/SSID/password/encryption etc) and disable DHCP on the AP router.

[Edited on 29-07-2012 by Sam]
Welsh Dan

29th Jul 12 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would imagine that it wouldn't work wirelessly, unless you upgrade the firmware to custom stuff which as you've already said, isn't available. However, it should work with the homeplugs.
Toby
Premium Member

29th Jul 12 at 21:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Sam, did try some of that stuff earlier but everytime I try to change the IP of the access point it just boots me of the router admin and won't let me reconnect on the old or new IP (192.168.1.254 to 192.168.0.2)

Changed the DCHP range on the netgear to exclude the .2 and to start at 192.168.0.3
Sam
Premium Member

29th Jul 12 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you connected to each box with an ethernet cable rather than wirelessly?
Toby
Premium Member

30th Jul 12 at 12:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tried both and now it wont let me create a new SSID, it wont let me connect to the new network, maybe ive upset it from resetting it a few times.
Toby
Premium Member

30th Jul 12 at 18:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok.got it working, why do you recommend keep the channels the same Sam?

New Poll