corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Single home owners?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Single home owners?
Mark.W

User status: Offline
12th Aug 15 at 09:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is there any single home owners on here that have took the plunge and bought a house themselves?

I know everyones circumstances and wages are different but how do you find it? Manageable?

Iv been thinking of buying a house lately but probably not until next year if i do since i live up north where cheap houses are available but making a decision to take it on alone is a big one.

When loooking at mortgages it blows my mind all the figures and fees & different type of mortgages available.

Chris x

12th Aug 15 at 09:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Own mine. No issues here!

As long as you work out your income and outgoings and it looks doable I wouldn't worry!
Ben G

12th Aug 15 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The biggest hurdle for me would be getting the deposit. Down south, you were talking 20k at least for 10%. Thankfully the missus helped there.

Also, for the first 3 hears I was paying an extortionate amount due to the high interest rate on the mortgage. Now it's came down, I could quite easily afford to pay it myself.

As you said though, it all depends on personal circumstances.
Ian W

12th Aug 15 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got mine on my own, all in my own name and it was all costed out with just myself in mind.

Girlfriend moved in not long after I got it as it made no sense paying a mortgage and rent when we where always together, her contribution to the house is a nice bonus for me now as I never costed it in
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

12th Aug 15 at 16:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bought a house with my brother then took over the mortgage last year myself. Didn't need a deposit though
VegasPhil
Premium Member

12th Aug 15 at 18:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just be cautious with your sums. If you are stretching now bear in mind mortgage rates will rise soon.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Russ

12th Aug 15 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i am single and own a 3 bed semi
Richie

12th Aug 15 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I own a 135k detached 3 bed - been here 3 years.

Paying the mortgage off over the shortest term I can pull off though. In about 5 years (end of fix term I recently locked into) I'll have about 65k left on the mortage. House was revalued at 145k, currently 41k'ish equity in here.

It's doable. My mortgage is £804 a month but it all depends on your income anyway.
Mark.W

12th Aug 15 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are most of you on fixed rate morgages also who did you get you morgage through?

I recently asked in my local Barclays branch about speaking to some one about a morgage to see how much i could borrow but they weren't much help and just told me use the online morgage calculator and gave me a phone number to ring but personally i want to speak to someone face to face for a bit advice on knowledge on which morgage would be best for me but did ask in my local Santander branch and just need make an appointment to speak to someone.
tom130691
Premium Member

13th Aug 15 at 07:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Halifax always offered me the most,
Im single owner, had only been working for 1 year after uni when I bought mine

their calculator is pretty accurate, i managed to get and extra 16k through a financial adviser, so bare that in mind if its not quite enough.

pow
Premium Member

13th Aug 15 at 08:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did it, having a big deposit really helps.
Mark.W

13th Aug 15 at 08:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow

This is the reason why i want to wait until next year,probably around about summer time then i will have between 15-20% of the house amount i could roughly borrow.
Aaron

13th Aug 15 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got 5.

Houses round here cost about 10p though.
Aaron

13th Aug 15 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mark.W
Are most of you on fixed rate morgages also who did you get you morgage through?

I recently asked in my local Barclays branch about speaking to some one about a morgage to see how much i could borrow but they weren't much help and just told me use the online morgage calculator and gave me a phone number to ring but personally i want to speak to someone face to face for a bit advice on knowledge on which morgage would be best for me but did ask in my local Santander branch and just need make an appointment to speak to someone.

I can put you in contact with my mortgage broker if you like. He's on holiday until Monday, but i'm sure he'd be happy to help. If i recommend him to you then he won't want any fees from your side of any deal.

He's fully independent and will sort a mortgage as per your needs (fixed rate, no admin fees etc)

U2U me on Monday if you want his details.
dan_m1les

13th Aug 15 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow

I purchased my flat on my own and had 30% deposit, and the house I own 50/50 with the mrs and we had 30% deposit on that too.

On the flat, I over calculated on everything on purpose so that I knew I would be left with a little bit at least. It was the best thing I've done.

Mark.W

14th Aug 15 at 07:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Aaron
quote:
Originally posted by Mark.W

I can put you in contact with my mortgage broker if you like. He's on holiday until Monday, but i'm sure he'd be happy to help. If i recommend him to you then he won't want any fees from your side of any deal.

He's fully independent and will sort a mortgage as per your needs (fixed rate, no admin fees etc)

U2U me on Monday if you want his details.

Il keep you in mind mate cheers
pow
Premium Member

14th Aug 15 at 16:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dan_m1les
quote:
Originally posted by pow

I purchased my flat on my own and had 30% deposit, and the house I own 50/50 with the mrs and we had 30% deposit on that too.

On the flat, I over calculated on everything on purpose so that I knew I would be left with a little bit at least. It was the best thing I've done.

The only way I've managed to do it is by having a 40% deposit though, getting a really good fixed rate and a low ltv
ed

15th Aug 15 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bought mine with a 10% deposit and the repayments are still less than what I've previously spent on rent.

New Poll