corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » New Build TV Mounting

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author New Build TV Mounting
dannymccann

User status: Offline
27th Jul 15 at 09:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking to mount my Samsung 40" on the wall. It's relatively modern, roughly 11kg without the stand so nice and light so thinking mounting straight to the plasterboard is going to be fine with the correct fixings. It needs to be cantilever as it's going in a corner next to the fire place.

Found this bracket: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Invision%C2%AE-Ultra-Cantilever-Mount-Bracket-Black/dp/B003UWNXUY

Up to 40kg, but would rather over engineer it than go for a crappy Sanstrom from Currys rated up to 15kg

My concern is that I would rather have a larger mounting plate against the wall that has 6 or 8 screw holes, that one looks a bit slim for my situation?

So a couple of questions

a) mounting to the wall for the weight above is likely to be fine?
b) do I need to find a bracket with a wider mounting plate or will this be alright?
dan_m1les

27th Jul 15 at 09:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The wall will take it as would the bracket, just make sure you use the correct type of screws.

Or if you want, mount the bracket to a square piece of wood to spread the load a bit more on the plasterboard?
Nismo

27th Jul 15 at 21:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't personally mount that type of bracket on a stud wall, the weight of the TV will be exaggerated at the mounting point of the bracket when using a cantilever bracket.

I would personally cut out a section of plasterboard (between two studs) and replace with the same depth plywood and then mount to that.
Nismo

27th Jul 15 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also using a cantilever bracket with a wider mounting base (only due to not mounting into solid block)
Dee25790

27th Jul 15 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When the boarders build stud walls in work the section where say a TV or a rad etc is going has a piece of half inch ply put into it then the board and plaster goes over the top.

Like said above I wouldn't put a cantilever onto plaster board chances are you will move it and rip the tele off the wall, that's assuming the weight hasn't pulled it off already. Think of a fulcrum
dannymccann

28th Jul 15 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's my thoughts. If it was going above the fire and remaining static (like say a big mirror) I wouldn't have an issue at all - in fact I have a big ass mirror that weighs more than the telly on an internal stud and that's been fine for a couple of years now.

I might park it for now, I'm a complete donut when it comes to DIY so cutting a piece of the wall out is a step a bit toofar for me to attempt on my own...
Haimsey
Premium Member

28th Jul 15 at 21:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not mentioned but are you going to use rigifix fittings?

I used them in my new build as they allow for the cavity. Mine isn't cantilever but it's not going anywhere fast!

Marcy Marc

White Sport Progress Thread
Gary
Premium Member

28th Jul 15 at 21:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You sure it's not just dot and dab board over brick? Stud next to a chimney breast seems odd. Unless it's on an adjacent wall. Stick something through the board to make sure it's actually hollow behind first
Dee25790

28th Jul 15 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it's brick behind like Gary said you've got nothing to worry about

Ive done plenty using these fixings that you put a trigger
on and pull them back once they're in the wall and the splines on the other side spread out best fixings I've used.

Cutting a piece of board out is a piece of piss. Find the studs (use a stud finder or tap on the wall till you can locate them, obviously where it is hollow there is no stud where it isn't there's a stud) then buy a jab saw probably cost you a tenner and saw your way into the board and cut your square out
dannymccann

2nd Aug 15 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea it reads nice and simple like most DIY jobs- still managed to completely fuck up my skirting boards though

I know there is a gap behind the plaster board because when I buggered my skirting up (by ripping off half a meter of plasterboard with the boards) I used the opportunity to have a look how my house has been 'built'.

Gary, when I say internal stud I mean internal timber frame / plasterboard job - as in push on it relatively hard and wall will bulge
Ben G

2nd Aug 15 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That will rip straight off a stud wall.

We have a vogel mount similar to that and we had to drill right through to the brick to get it to stick
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

2nd Aug 15 at 21:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive got a fake wall around my fire place

I ended up having to drill through into my fire place and fitted some studs fixed with a compound that you inject into the hole

its solid now though
Dee25790

3rd Aug 15 at 09:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by IvIarkgraham
Ive got a fake wall around my fire place

I ended up having to drill through into my fire place and fitted some studs fixed with a compound that you inject into the hole

its solid now though

Was it chemfix? Horrible shite that if you get it on you
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

3rd Aug 15 at 09:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-polyester-resin-175ml/53359
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

3rd Aug 15 at 09:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-p-type-wallbolts-m8-x-125mm-pack-of-5/28529

New Poll