corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Astra Bertone Coupe Turbo 2003 *For Sale*

New Poll
  <<  8    9    10    11    12    13    14  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Astra Bertone Coupe Turbo 2003 *For Sale*
djgritt
Premium Member

User status: Offline
16th May 15 at 07:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
As for next map, if I do tune it further I will be aiming for 300bhp and would feel safest getting it RR'd and set up properly.

From what I've seen on VXRO I think Rabbid (Richard) has his own Dyno Dynamics RR setup and does full custom mapping.
Jambo

16th May 15 at 07:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Link me up DJ
djgritt
Premium Member

16th May 15 at 14:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He seems to only run through a FB Page, or is contactable through VXR Online as a Trader.

https://www.facebook.com/RabbidRemaps

Jambo

17th May 15 at 08:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers

Decided to take my rear cluster out to see what the state of the bumper that didn't sit right was in...

Hmmm think I can see the issue!!

Bumper is split from mountings.

This is what it should look like:

So deffo means I need a new bumper but happy it's not the body underneath that's damaged.

Was all a bit nasty behind there so treated it to a lashing of APC and a brush.

Clean!

Then I took it to the Polish to clean it as I did not have time.

Ian W

17th May 15 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Couldn't you get that bumper plastic welded?

Car is looking much cleaner now, time to drop it 90mm
Jambo

17th May 15 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The bumpers misshapen and has a bad smart repair on it on top of being chipped around the number plate light

Missed out on a mint one same colour due to family commitments one weekend for £30 got weighed in on the car.

Haha err I'm ok thanks Ian I'm not a fan of bump steer
WATSON

24th May 15 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As far as I'm aware Rabbid (Richard) doesn't touch zlets, only decent tuners that know there zlets inside out are Sean @ SM tuning and Dan @ RnD motorsport.

Courtenay are very expensive they done my GSi and it was around £500
Corsa_Sport21

24th May 15 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is Rabbid not more VXR focussed these days?

He has done zlet's in the past though as he mapped my mates mk4 Sri-turbo.
WATSON

24th May 15 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah Nic he focused more on the vxr's rather than the zlets.

Few on the zlet lovers page have stated he doesn't touch zlets for some odd reason.
Jambo

31st May 15 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well update time!

Decided to fit some of the bits and was met with a bit of a step by step disaster.

First up was to replace my smokey turbo. This wasn't the guaranteed fix for the problem as many armchair mechanics and internet doom-mongers had you believe it was the vale stem oil seals as this is a weak spot on them (allegedly). However when driving I had noticed that it was when the car was warm and basically only ever on over-run. The car also felt sluggish and down on torque so I assumed it was the turbo (prev owner had this diagnosed at Vx garage). So as car was warm nuts were cracked and started taking stuff apart to fit my new VXR turbo (LEH - K04)

Bit light on the pictures as I was busy but you will get the idea.

Stuff off, ready to take the turbo out...

Turbo gone!

It was absolutely FUCKED. The shaft had over 2cm of play in it and a huge crack in the wastegate. So that would be why it was smoking then Poor little thing.

First disaster....

You will see earlier I had purchased a pre-cat pipe which is for replacing the little cat after the turbo. This gives the throttle a bit more response apparently. So upon removing the Turbo we noticed that even though my car is a 2003 F70 coupé, it appears to have an early generation (00-02) one piece cat So this means I can't fit it FFS On the plus side, despite the amount of oil being burnt it has not damaged the pre cat, so this was left in place.

So whilst it was all off we set about fitting my 9ltr EDS side mounted intercooler. Which is always pegged as a "factory" fit and not as disruptive as the front mount option because it is located in the factory position, it is just bigger. I had one of these on my GSI and it seemed to work well. Great I thought!

So off with the standard one. (Please note the Corsasport £200 respray with over spray all over the aircon fan and service connector).

No during pictures really, but OMFG what a ball ache. Fitting advice had discussed using the rad mounts from a VXR and reversing the rubbers to pull the rad back a bit. *Fuckup2 - A well respected parts supplier sent my two RH mounts instead of either side. Took a fair while of jiggery pokery and a call to someone who has done the conversion to check part numbers to realise this. It literally would not play ball. So after basically disconnecting the top mount for the rad, it went in and then fitted perfectly. So basically you only need one side! Some people have mentioned this on forums and been shot down. I can confirm one is enough!

Here it is in situ.

And all fitted:

The marks on the cooler seen here where from the previous owner, the SMIC does not touch anything up front or above. It its a perfect fit.

VXR Boost pipe to replace old saggy LET one.

So then we attempted to swap all the oil feeds etc off the old turbo and came across a lot of rusty old fucked bolts which caused some headaches. I also rounded off a bolt to remove the bumper and didn't have the right socket attachment so had to go to Halfrauds to get one (24mm incase anyone cares, not fitting guide mentions this and you WILL need one and most sets don't have this in as standard due to size)

So turbo was fitted back up, fiddly but not impossible. Took longer than expected but no big dramas. All good.

Then came fitting the Turbo - Intercooler Boost hose. Easy enough, it is an EDS item and designed for the Astra. Only problem is. This is how much the cunting thing sticks out.

So then we tried to refit the bumper..... This is the part of the day when it was getting on and we were rapidly running out of time. So this happened:

Physically wouldn't go on. Absolute bastard.

Anyhoo, guess I need a new GSI bumper. Upon reflection today, we re-used the LET pipe clamp and we should have probably left this off and given the pipe some slack and it may have fitted better so we didn't have to cut as much of the bumper out.... Hindsight!

So then removed the ECU, removed imobiliser chip and key-ring. Then retrofitted my EDS PH1 ECU and chips etc. This was further delayed by a cage around the imobilisor that my ex-Vx Master Tech mate had never ever seen in his life, made life difficult but all sorted now and I have two working keys for the first time since I got the car. Sorted.

All back together:

Got a bit of a half throttle hesitation sometimes so that will need some investigation as I think it is down to the actuator setting, because it wasn't changed for the LET, just running LEH/VXR spec which is more PSI I think. I don't have a boost gauge so I can't test it. I had spoken to many people about adjusting it prior to purchase but most said don't bother. I knew I wouldn't be that lucky. But alas, it works, it is SUPER quiet and my god it is quick

SO yeah, need a bumper boot lid and spoiler

Nic Barnes

31st May 15 at 20:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

interesting choice for fitment
Chris C

31st May 15 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good work ! You must've been getting desperate to finish if you had to hack your bumper like that

[Edited on 31-05-2015 by Chris C]
Jambo

31st May 15 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pretty much yeah! Bumper had slight crash damage and was painted by an imbecile so I'm not that fussed as it was always going. Just annoyed we probably made work for ourselves due to the factory mount! Been looking online and seems there is an eds clamp that mine didn't come with. So this will be sorted.
random dav
Premium Member

1st Jun 15 at 11:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good work, glad I dont have to fight with rusty bolts anymore.

WRLFC !

Project cars
Nic Barnes

1st Jun 15 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what is the eds clamp out of interest?
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

1st Jun 15 at 13:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

CDTI AIR BOX IS NEEDED TOO
Jambo

1st Jun 15 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
what is the eds clamp out of interest?

Clamps to the body. There is a factory mount, which we reused (perhaps to our detriment) to ensure the hose didn't flap about under load. Post investigation I noticed on many pictures that it came with a different clamp specifically for the hose. The factory clamp is noticeable in the pics above from the side.
Jambo

1st Jun 15 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by IvIarkgraham
CDTI AIR BOX IS NEEDED TOO

Yes Mark. But I may not bother as I've spent enough as it is. Powerful enough now
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

1st Jun 15 at 19:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they are cheap enough. make the bay look far better too

I need more power
Jambo

1st Jun 15 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All adds up mate. Does improve looks but I quite like stealth/factory look. (Like my bumper )
--ToM--

1st Jun 15 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would of just put a fmic kit with proper boost pipes that hose and jubilee clips looks ghetto as fuck, even for the oem look if you got black silicone joiners and painted the boost pipes and intercooler black or something, that big piece of radiator type hose you had to cut the bumper for is crap, rest looks good though mate keep up the good work, you gonna vxr injectors and afm it ?
Jambo

1st Jun 15 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not permanent guys! Jeez! It was so the car is drivable. Boost pipe is solid as fuck, it's a proper EDS pipe not a Chinese special off eBay.

No point whatsoever in an FMIC. I am keeping it Stage one. Stock exhaust, no noise, oem. If I go hunting power then it needs exhaust and other parts. It's supposed to be a "cheap" runaround. I had to do the turbo, the ecu was cheap and the intercooler was for drivability and safety. The bumper will come back off and the pipe adjusted or re routed.

GSI bumper if I can stretch to it or another coupe job. As previously mentioned the one on there was fucked anyway, broken clip on drivers side, dent, badly painted and chipped. Fog lights are also green and pitted. That was always planned to be replaced
Ian W

1st Jun 15 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is turning in to a taylorboosh couple of little jobs won't cost me nothing project and we know what happens to them

[Edited on 01-06-2015 by Ian W]
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

1st Jun 15 at 23:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

he'll sell it to me for a couple of hundred in a few weeks
taylorboosh

3rd Jun 15 at 09:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive never rwally lost on vaux projects, only imps

<<  8    9    10    11    12    13    14  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Astra Bertone Coupe Turbo 2003 *For Sale* 24 database queries in 0.1997111 seconds