corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Computer room speakers... I'm really not sure what to do?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Computer room speakers... I'm really not sure what to do?
kz

User status: Offline
12th Mar 15 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just moving into a new place, first time with the missus... learning to share things slowly.

Anyway, the main purpose of the second bedroom is for the desk and computer. She works from home quite often, whereas for me it's purely about browsing Corsasport and listening to music (also do a bit of DJing/production) so the sound system is important to me.

At the moment I have an amplifier, subwoofer and massive Jamo speakers. She's not too happy about me taking the room over with all this stuff so thinking about alternatives. Firstly can you actually get decent sound from 'desktop' speakers? My other idea was to hide the speakers in the big wardrobe have in there and just slide the doors back when I'm going to be listening... could fit proper bookshelf speakers in there but not sure if they'd just vibrate the wardrobe and sound shit?

Any ideas?

Willing to spend up to £500.
Balling
Premium Member

12th Mar 15 at 19:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would think a set of active studio monitors would be exactly the thing to go for if you produce music.

And/or some decent cans.

Dom

12th Mar 15 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Problem with monitors is that they aren't particular pleasant for long periods of music listening as they're generally very sterile which tends to amplify 'ear' fatigue - i get it using my KRK's after an hour or so.

Personally i think you'd be better off getting something like Monitor Audio BX1/BX2's or Dali Zensor 1's and a suitable amp like a NAD D3020.
kz

12th Mar 15 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You sound like you have some knowledge on this kind of thing how far should they be placed away? That's the issue I have... on the desk they're going to be like 10-15" away and I just can't see this giving great sound!

With my other idea of the wardrobe thing, they'd be like 15-20 feet away lol, bit different I know.
3CorsaMeal

13th Mar 15 at 09:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought some cheap 2.1 creative audio system, about £30. At the same sort of time i spent about £500 on an separate amp and speakers for my music, just plug in cd player or ipod.

I honestly think the £30 set is just as good.

[Edited on 13-03-2015 by 3CorsaMeal]
Dom

13th Mar 15 at 10:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kz
....on the desk they're going to be like 10-15" away...

If they're small bookshelf speakers or small near-field monitors, then 15" should be fine. You wouldn't particularly want a 10"+ driver that close to you though.....

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
I honestly think the £30 set is just as good.

Depends on how you spent that £500; spend poorly and you can still end up with a turd of a system.
3CorsaMeal

13th Mar 15 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got the NAD 316 amp and monitor audio BX2 and some fancy wires.
Dom

13th Mar 15 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
I got the NAD 316 amp and monitor audio BX2 and some fancy wires.

I'm surprised you're comparing that system to £30 creative speakers. I'd perhaps look at speaker mounting and position and source material (what cd player are you using?).
3CorsaMeal

13th Mar 15 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tbh the speakers are positioned each side of the amp, like tight against it. I do mean to get some stands.

Using a denon cd player, not sure on model though
kz

13th Mar 15 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got Aego M's connected to my TV which are actually meant to be computer speakers, maybe I'll just get some more of those!

New Poll