corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Made another timelapse...

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Made another timelapse...
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

User status: Offline
21st Feb 15 at 22:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
lol anger in here

Other thing I've noticed, is a lot of mechanics these days no longer possess the skills to diagnose something, plug in a reader, if that comes back without the answer you get the car back with "dont know"

Yes that has happened to me many times in the past too before you all start waving your arms and calling me a liar.

Other traits I've noticed is, for example, a car not running quite right, garage has it in (vauxhall in this case), car is returned once, fixed the problem sir, part replaced and paid for, problem comes back a week later, car gets returned, this time get it back with dont know, but a nice 50 quid charge to stick a fault reader on it, 3rd time, they end up telling me it an ECU fault, actually was a vacuum leak, but the highly skilled mechanics, including a "senior mechanic" were about to charge me several hundred pounds for a part I didnt need, because the answer machine didnt tell them any answers.

Not sure where this "have to get it right to be a mechanic because customers" claim comes from, because that doesnt happen, fairly often too. Redundant justification right there.

Additionally, it seems mechanics need step by step guides too, I've had several "Systems" that main dealers use for technical sheets etc, its just step by step parts, so mechanics these days, also have to rely on computer versions of Haynes Manuals.

[Edited on 21-02-2015 by Steve]

So you've never followed a guide to do something in IT then?
--ToM--

21st Feb 15 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm old school don't work on cars with ecu or scanners mostly old classics so I do know how to diagnose a fault properly, but I do know how to use scanners and oscilloscopes etc as were getting more and more 80s 90s "modern classics" in we have all the Ferrari Lamborghini RR and Bentley diagnostics etc plus I do work outside of work on modern stuff so all round a wide base of experience, quiet lucky really as some do solely rely on a code reader
Mattb

21st Feb 15 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well this threads gone a little mad! lol

For me personally anyway, I have to be on form day in day out, perhaps its the ethos of the brand rubbing off on me, who knows. Im not sure how other garages operate, but not getting it right is unacceptable, both from and managment point of view and from a customers.

For me in my daily life, the customer 'experiance' is at the top of the list, we get paid heavily by Audi on satfisfaction survey scores and on Returns to the workshop. In a 3 month time frame, for me to get paid one of my bonuses, no more that 1.5% of customers should have to return, be it through misdiagnosis, poor work or stupid crap like the cleaners not cleaning the cars properly.

I have seen some downright crap technicians come through our doors in my time, and i have spent may hours of my life putting work right because of them. Thats the downside of the industry, the crap ones reputations tarnish the rest. Goes for many other industries / trades too i suppose.

I do get Steves argument, alot of the run of the mill stuff is easy, and requires little more than some common sense and the correct tooling to do. Its experience on the job that makes you quicker in these areas. I dont often hear complaints from customers that their brake pads werent fitted properley.

As for the 'answer machine' those who use one and expect it to tell you whats wrong from the off are doomed to failure. I often tell our apprentices that its called 'Guided' fault finding for a reason. Its a guide, it will give you an area where your fault lies, but its down to you to prove whats defective, Diagnose the route cause of the issue and rectify it and any consequentialy defective components. Testing after repair is essential also, but alot of the time you may find that due to time constraints, many wont bother and will just hope they were right.

To be honest, I dont take anything written here to heart, dont need to. I would however suggest that the stance of anyone can do it all it takes is common sense is hugely untrue. Steve you have yourself proved that above where a simple vacuum leak wasnt diagnosed correctly.

I could go on forever, but at the end of the day, I only have my own personal experience do go on, as i expect everyone else has too, including Steve and thats all you can really base your opinions on.
Mattb

21st Feb 15 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo

So you've never followed a guide to do something in IT then?

Without anykind of workshop manual your fucked, without one you'll miss the small details. The small details are often the things that cause big headaches
Chris x

21st Feb 15 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What happened at 3:15?
--ToM--

21st Feb 15 at 22:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who would of thought a time lapse could turn into such a boring thread lol

I think Steve should do a time lapse of his next big job on his defender I reckon it'll be more like still life
3CorsaMeal

21st Feb 15 at 23:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I went to change a wheel bearing on my a3 today. Took me 30mins to get a stuck wheel off. I ended up running jump kicking it only for it to fall off and land face down on the gravel. Chipped it a few times. Was a mint wheel moments ago.

SVM 286

21st Feb 15 at 23:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For next time Jim...

Leave two opposing wheel nuts/bolts in a few turns.

Spin the wheel whilst tapping gently from the back with a leather or dead-blow mallet with a pad of rag taped/rubber banded to the head, until it frees off.

This can take a little while but almost always works and doesn't do any damage.
ShEp

22nd Feb 15 at 00:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
lol anger in here

Other thing I've noticed, is a lot of mechanics these days no longer possess the skills to diagnose something, plug in a reader, if that comes back without the answer you get the car back with "dont know"

Yes that has happened to me many times in the past too before you all start waving your arms and calling me a liar.

Other traits I've noticed is, for example, a car not running quite right, garage has it in (vauxhall in this case), car is returned once, fixed the problem sir, part replaced and paid for, problem comes back a week later, car gets returned, this time get it back with dont know, but a nice 50 quid charge to stick a fault reader on it, 3rd time, they end up telling me it an ECU fault, actually was a vacuum leak, but the highly skilled mechanics, including a "senior mechanic" were about to charge me several hundred pounds for a part I didnt need, because the answer machine didnt tell them any answers.

Not sure where this "have to get it right to be a mechanic because customers" claim comes from, because that doesnt happen, fairly often too. Redundant justification right there.

Additionally, it seems mechanics need step by step guides too, I've had several "Systems" that main dealers use for technical sheets etc, its just step by step parts, so mechanics these days, also have to rely on computer versions of Haynes Manuals.

[Edited on 21-02-2015 by Steve]

What garages do you use

Admittedly there is a lot of mechanics who don't know how to diagnose a fault correctly.

The assumption is often made that if an error code (for arguments sake) comes up for a lambda sensor fault, the automatic thought is to replace it, but in my experience the lambda sensor is where the fault is picked up first, maybe due to over fueling or running lean, which could be caused by several other things, which is when the diagnostic work comes into it.

Some mechanics have become too reliant on computers to do the work for them.

But for you to slate a whole profession based on the idiots you've had dealings with just isn't cricket.
3CorsaMeal

22nd Feb 15 at 09:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think there should be a definition between mechanic and parts fitter. I agree with Steve. Some so called mechanics give you a choice. "We can try replacing that part and see if its that" wow great.

I remember having a leak on corrado when I first got it. Paid to have new seals fitted to the thermostat housing. Week later it was still leaking. Took it back. Oh you need a new housing as well. Idiots. Paid twice for that one.

It's only when I started looking I found out all these issues that they couldn't find. Like the funny handling. They found nothing wrong. I found steering rack gaiter not even fitted and the rear axle bushes totally gone.
ShEp

22nd Feb 15 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah but on the same note, there's nothing worse when being a mechanic than an internet technician asking you to work on their car. Your 10 years in the job is nothing compared to their 10 minutes of reading a forum.

And wanting to stand and watch and tell you where you're going wrong. I have previously refused to carry on with a job.

[Edited on 22-02-2015 by ShEp]
CORSA NUT

22nd Feb 15 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Massive respect for you there Matt...regardless of what's been said on the thread that's a big job! I actually didn't expect it to be so long winded
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Feb 15 at 12:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ShEp
And wanting to stand and watch and tell you where you're going wrong. I have previously refused to carry on with a job.

DaveyLC

25th Feb 15 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Steve I think you have the following problems:

1) You appear to have only ever owned cars that are about as technically advanced as a sun-dial.

2) Your local mechanics clearly have no time for you as maybe you have wasted their in the past?

HTH
nathy_87

27th Feb 15 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Referring back to the video, I think it's very impressive the amount of work that goes in to something like that, then the time to do a video and edit it all.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Made another timelapse... 22 database queries in 0.0116169 seconds