corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » dedicated plex servers

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author dedicated plex servers
jamied

User status: Offline
25th Jan 15 at 23:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have been using a seedbox for a couple of years with Plex on my home computer.
It works well for me but now a few friends and family use my seedbox aswell and I have to remote control my dads pc to download things for him.

I thought it might be easier to pay for a server seedbox running plex, then I could just add friends i want to share the library with and its all done.

I got a seedbox off seedboxes.cc earlier which at first seemed to be what I wanted but I cant reshare the library as its as though they shared it with me.

Do i need a dedicated server for this?

Dom

26th Jan 15 at 01:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's a load of threads on the Plex forums about hosted Plex solutions and various people offering hosted services; from what i remember reading a while back, it was costly (even going to a OVH reseller) as you need bandwidth and storage and if you're wanting to support a good range of users then processing power comes into play for transcoding.
Lot of hassle and arseache tbh.
jamied

26th Jan 15 at 10:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah will have a look on there. Deffo want to try it Atleast.
Gonna wait for these to come into stock and try the ks3
http://www.kimsufi.com/uk/
ed

27th Jan 15 at 07:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm using a 2006 Mac Mini which I've bumped up to x64 by fitting a Core 2 Duo CPU. It's got 2GB of RAM but could take 3GB if needed (works fine as is though). Cost under £100 to build so it's worth a thought?
jamied

27th Jan 15 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I already have a ok pc it's mainly for dad and couple of friends and I read about creating a plex server seedbox, my Internet at home isn't good enough upload. I found a good guide on reddit
http://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/2fo868/guide_how_to_set_up_a_cloud_plex_server_for_as

Going to try the ks3 dedicate server on kimsufi whenever it comes back into stock

[Edited on 27-01-2015 by jamied]
Dom

27th Jan 15 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That tutorial/guide is poor as installing Plex is pretty straight forward (just a case of apt-get etc; you also don't need avahi), it's securing the box that is the important bit as you're likely to get someone breaching it - don't use ROOT; deny everything within the firewall/IPTables and only allow what you need - usually SSH and Plex port in this case; don't use standard ports unless you need to; use keypairs for SSH etc.

Some reasonable linux tutorials that are worth looking at - http://lowendbox.com/category/tutorials/

Whilst you wait for stock it might be worth grabbing something like VirtualBox and a linux distro (personal preference is Debian) and throw together a test setup so you can practice/familiarise yourself.

Edit - Forgot to add, Linode has a load of decent tutorials - https://www.linode.com/docs/security

[Edited on 27-01-2015 by Dom]
ed

29th Jan 15 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doubt there's anyt stopping you from spinning up and AWS instance and installing it on there. Might be a bit 'involved' though!
jamied

16th Feb 15 at 15:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bit of a update..

Got a server in the end. Installed ubuntu and set up plex etc.

I use ruTorrent now and add the torrents that way, with auto unpack setup. Ive set the ratio rules so they delete after seeding back. Want to make as automated as possible. Is way faster too as it downloads at 100+ mb/s and is ready to watch almost immediately

So far tried 3 people watching 720p DTS (5gb files) and works flawlessly.
Plays as fast as if was loading from my pc in my house.

I am really impressed with it, going to set the autorss so it gets programs like the walking dead automatically.

Only problem is now ive shown a couple of friends it on my phone in the app they are all wanting access which I dont want to give as aleady got 4 active users and not sure how it would cope without upgrading the spec etc

if anybody wants access for the night to try and see what you think send me a pm.

Got my server from these people.

https://zxplay.co.uk/index.htm

I got the tier 2 solely for the storage but tier one worked ok for 2 users 720p, didnt try anymore

[Edited on 16-02-2015 by jamied]

New Poll