corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Vectra Vxr

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Vectra Vxr
--ToM--

User status: Offline
20th Jan 15 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been looking at these a lot lately and really fancy one

Don't like corsas or astras too common and abused decent ones are near impossible to find where as the vectra there's less of them and they don't appear to be as modded as astras and corsas so stand a better chance of buying one that's not fucked,

Iv had an SRI cdti vectra and loved it

Just looking for anyone who had or still does own one who can tell me what to look out for and any pros and cons etc ?

Cheers
taylorboosh

20th Jan 15 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What cars would you get shot of
djgritt
Premium Member

20th Jan 15 at 21:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hello.

Browsing on my phone from Qatar, so not easy.

I still have mine,

Jimbothebarbarian and Sportboy both sold theirs recently (ish)

Will try and do a better reply later if I can/if they don't do it first.
--ToM--

20th Jan 15 at 21:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

None to start with incase I don't take to it like id hope to, I don't really want to get rid of any, the cavs doing my head in because it doesn't get used enough and the vectras dead handy because I can fit loads in the back and as I'm doing my house up as a long term project it's handy lol

--ToM--

20th Jan 15 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and the astras just an ornament / breaker / don't know what to do with it!
--ToM--

quote:
Originally posted by djgritt
Hello.

Browsing on my phone from Qatar, so not easy.

I still have mine,

Jimbothebarbarian and Sportboy both sold theirs recently (ish)

Will try and do a better reply later if I can/if they don't do it first.

Cheers mate I was hoping you would have some say!
Jambo

Cool cars

Don't get the worry about common sight though. It's a Vectra ffs
--ToM--

20th Jan 15 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I meant in terms of the Vxr range lol you don't see as many vectra vxrs as you do corsa or astra vxrs as a whole all 3 models are common as dog shite

I just like the vectra as there's less of them, bigger, less likely to of had a hard life as much as a corsa or astra in terms of abuse and I love the noise they make too
taylorboosh

20th Jan 15 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Insignia vxr too much? As theyre way cooler
Jambo

20th Jan 15 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Less of a hard life is subjective. And entirely based on chance. The Vec might be rarer in Vxr trim but they are barely distinguishable from a regular one!!

They are meant to be very capable cars and get slated basically for being a Vectra without any research into road tests etc. Evo rated it highly, as did PH. People who ought to know.

I looked into them a couple months back and there was bigger all available plus they are all blue and dont like them. Tax is abhorrent and so is fuel consumption. Which is fine but likely to get old quickly on a quick cheap taxi
--ToM--

20th Jan 15 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Insignia i think will come down a fair bit in price over the next year or so I think the vectras have pretty much got as low as they will for a while now which is why I'm looking at one looks like a lot of car for 5-6 grand

I like the fact there not distinguishable tbh if I got one I'd be looking for a red one never liked the blue ones too in your face and I don't think it suits the car either, also looking at the saab 9-3 2.8 turbos Aswell
taylorboosh

20th Jan 15 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Undoubtably a lot of car for that cash
Jimbothebarbarian

20th Jan 15 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just got shot of mine, had a tinge of sadness as I did. Best car I've ever had if I'm honest.

Things to look out for? Off the top of my head they're cunts for cracked alloys I had several sets of orig ones on mine and in the end I fitted eBay copies that never missed a beat.

Timing chains stretching, bit of a cunt if it happens (did on mine) cost a bit to get fixed but there is a lad who seems to do it full time. Did mine for me.

Servicing is cheap as it's a vectra, a few electrical gremlins that seem pretty easy to sort. All in all mine was very cost effective to own over the years (had mine from new for nigh on six years!)

Comfy as fook, spacious (I had the estate) not many about quick epically fast for covering distance.

If I could I would've kept mine as a toy.
Jambo

20th Jan 15 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's all about the Red ones Tom.
Jed D

20th Jan 15 at 22:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

one ended on ebay for just over 1k the other week, i nearly cried i missed the end of the auction

only downside was it wasnt a vxr looks wise, it was a ex police car, top end crime scene car or something along those lines... never been sticker-ed up or holes in for lights etc... miles wearnt too high ether
--ToM--

20th Jan 15 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
It's all about the Red ones Tom.

With black bits
taylorboosh

20th Jan 15 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think you know what you need to do
--ToM--

20th Jan 15 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only want a Vxr not a 2.8 turbo normal one there less powerfull iirc? Two different powered engines? Also regardless of not being stickered up holes drilled iv watched enough road wars to see how there driven and rammed about and thrashed over speed bumps not to mention all the arse holes of society that have travelled in the back seats, cheaper or not, no thanks lol I'd rather buy an ex taxi diesel .

Jimbothebarbarian - cheers for your views, overall seems like there not a lot to look out for really they don't seem too bad, I know the wheels are made of chocolate iv had a few sets on vectra bs and cracked them just looking at them haha, servicing costs are fine as I'm a mechanic so that's no issue, just have to keep an eye out for timing chain stretch as it's something I can do but wouldn't really want too lol,

Reviews seem good Aswell only one that doesn't give a great one is top gear
Corsa_Sport21

20th Jan 15 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The non vxr 2.8 turbo were Elite spec with auto box and less power. Ex police cars are Sri trim with VXR running gear and full power.

That's where my money would go as IMO they look boss in white. Pick up a cheap ex traffic car and fit the VXR kit and wheels for the sleeper mode.

[Edited on 20-01-2015 by Corsa_Sport21]
Jimbothebarbarian

20th Jan 15 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The top gear one is well known bollocks, as Jezza is in fords pocket lol. They'd pulled the fuses for all the traction and stability systems. You simply couldn't do what they did otherwise. Same with the Astra vxr etc. EVO mag was a good review if I remember rightly.

If you do find a potential car pop onto VXRonline and ask if it's anyones old car they usually can tell you if it's good, bad or indifferent.

Like I say apart from the chains and wheels (I do live in the sticks, hence why I changed for a 4x4) mine was hassle free motoring.
Corsa_Sport21

20th Jan 15 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What they done on top gear could be done in decent powered family hatchback. Full pelt into a corner and it's going to understeer without a doubt.
baza31

20th Jan 15 at 23:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jed D
one ended on ebay for just over 1k the other week, i nearly cried i missed the end of the auction

only downside was it wasnt a vxr looks wise, it was a ex police car, top end crime scene car or something along those lines... never been sticker-ed up or holes in for lights etc... miles wearnt too high ether

U got a link
djgritt
Premium Member

21st Jan 15 at 08:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Updated some points I've made for someone before;

- Standard Vauxhall Servicing costs/intervals, nothing really out of the ordinary in regards to maintenance. Parts are generally reasonably priced.
- Fuel consumption is fair - high 20s/low 30s (if lucky/sensible/boring) - unless you give it a load of stick, when it can drain a tank with MPG in mid Teens and less than 200 miles quite easily and happily!
- Tax. Offensive if you get a later 280PS model. £485 per year. Most earlier 255PS models are half that though, depends on their reg date. Works out as less than £50p/m with the new monthly option though.
- Comfortable. The Recaros are great (especially those with the Electric adjustment where they can be finely adjusted) and there is plenty of room to comfortably move 4 adults over distance. They have a big boot for loads too, Estate is massive. Will eat miles all day long without fuss.
- Grunty. Mine is still running the standard 280PS map, it goes well and will do an indicated 160+ quite happily, been there... Haha. A nice torquey engine that has well matched gearing too. It will do 30mph in 6th gear without any struggle atall, which makes cruising through varying limits as found on rural A-roads a breeze, as you rarely need to change gear (good for a bit of fuel saving too if desired). They are very heavy though, so although they are quick, they can still be caught out by lighter fast Hatches from a standstill. They are at their best when already on the move IMO.
- Handling - completely disregard the Top Gear reviews, they are nothing like they were portrayed to be. Yes, some torque steer can happen, but it is a powerful, turbocharged FWD car. It is completely manageable though, I never found it a problem atall. Brakes are big 345mm things, and are pretty dependable. I've not had any major issues with mine other than a bit of premature disc wear (probably due to cheap aftermarket discs I fitted TBH)
- Fairly tuneable, a Stage 1 Remap alone can see up to ~320bhp/400lb.ft on either 255/280PS Models. The high figure is from a US Tuner - most UK Tuners will go for ~300bhp/400lb.ft. Supposedly it completely transforms the car, but I haven't got that far yet. Other things can be done such as modifying the Exhaust, Aftermarket Radiators, Intercoolers & Uprated Turbos, but most tuning currently stops at around 350bhp/430lb.ft. The US based Tuner is still developing hardware/software options for the Z28xxx, (for the Saabs using the same engine) and it looks like they are chasing ~400bhp/500lb.ft and are getting on well at the moment...

- Standard 19 Wheels can crack, so most people go for 18s or Aftermarket. I changed mine to Aftermarket before the originals had a chance to crack.
- There are a number of cars experiencing issues with Timing Chain stretch - there is no pattern to the problem either - seems hit or miss. It can affect Standard & Modified cars, both 255 & 280PS models, both High and Low mileage. If it's any comfort to know, mine is approaching 110k Miles and hasn't had any of the Chain issues.
- Gearbox is a very robust and proven F40 unit, not the wanky M32. They rarely have problems, and plenty of cars are running over 400lb.ft through them without fault.
- Standard Vectra C issues can occur. But they generally they are quite reliable.

- DAP or H&R lowering springs make a significant improvement to the ride & handling. Not toooo pricey either. The standard IDS Shocks are fine to work with them if they aren't leaking/faulty.
- Quaife ATB diff makes a world of difference to the car. There is also now a Wavetrac item available for it if preferred.
- Milltek Exhaust is available for the car for big monies, not worth it atall. The OEM system is made by Remus, and the Cat-Back section has been proven to be capable on a car running ~400bhp. If you wanted a bit more noise, remove the Centre Silencer and also the Pre-Cat Downpipe - I run full De-Cat (& no centre silencer), it sounds decent.
- OEM kit can be retrofitted pretty easily as with other Vectra C models if desired. I have done Auto Lights/Wipers, Auto Dimming RVM and AFL headlight Retrofit on mine so far.

Prices are falling through the floor at the moment. I would pick a Genuine VXR over an Ex-Police version any day. Ex-Police ones mostly get a set of VXR replica Wheels & badges bolted on and then sold on eBay as a VXR. They are still pony SRi models regardless.

Oh, and Arden Blue is poo.
Jimbothebarbarian

21st Jan 15 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree with him.

Apart from Arden is the only colour to have.
ianofbhills

21st Jan 15 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I looked at an elite 2.8 estate which was a hell of a lot of car for the money but the Tax was crazy and put me off.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Vectra Vxr 22 database queries in 0.1918271 seconds