corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Lights

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Lights
Christopher

User status: Offline
15th Jan 15 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right basically my vans just failed it's mot on lights interfering with one another. When my fog lights are on you can't see my brake lights because they are the same bulb? It's fine with my lights on and brake lights because it uses the 2 different filaments as normal but when my fogs are on it's using the same filament as my brake light uses.

Now the bloke before has chopped all the wires off at the back of the lamps and put them back together at some point for some unknown reason which is really helpful! I'm really shit with wiring so I don't even really know how to go about this?

Any help greatly appreciated as I need to get this sorted asap
Ian
Site Administrator

16th Jan 15 at 19:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No way that's standard.

Basically when you switch the fogs on, it lights up your brakes?

There are no fogs as such fitted in that regard. What van is it?
Christopher

17th Jan 15 at 06:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No I know buddy I think it's from previous owner, cut all the wires off and rewired them in but there's random wires just chopped and everything!

It's 2002 transit connect
Dee25790

17th Jan 15 at 06:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a multimeter?
Christopher

17th Jan 15 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Noo man but I should be able to borrow one
Dee25790

17th Jan 15 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Disconnect the wires one at a time find an earth point on the body and set the multimeter to 12v. Turn the fog lights on and check all the wires see which have 12v (if you can establish the sidelights first would be helpful to save confusion) once you've worked out which is giving 12v with fog lights on turn them off put a brick on the brake pedal to keep it pressed down and repeat same procedure. This will tell you which wires power which then just snip em n reconnect accordingly. Use masking tape to write down which wire is which and wrap it round the wire makes life a lot easier. Hope that helps mate wiring can be a nightmare in cars hahaha
Dee25790

17th Jan 15 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ps if all the wires are bunched together through one connector I would snip them apart to test each one individually and label as I go
Christopher

17th Jan 15 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok mate thanks for all that, will have to just do that I guess! What a ballache, I absolutely hate wiring
Dee25790

17th Jan 15 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a nightmare haha am halfway to being qualified as a spark and some of it drives me round the bend. No idea why I've chose it as a career. It's even worse for auto sparks tho. Take you time with it n be patient mate you will get there in the end. When I got my corsa it had more wiring not working than it did working ha
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Jan 15 at 20:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should be easy enough, see where the voltage is when you press the brake and wire that the place where the brake should be.

Can't think why its been chopped up but it also can't be too difficult to get it as it should be.

Check page 51 of this (labelled 49 in the doc but its the 51st page in the doc)

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/pubs/content/~WO2TRC/~MGB~LEN/pdf/EN_GB02TRCog1e.pdf
Christopher

18th Jan 15 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I posted on transit forum and apparently it's common for the plugs corrode inside, where all the pins are, so people chop them off but apparently replace them with plugs from a mk7 for some reason? So he's obviously done that but wired the fogs into the brake light bulbs too

Thanks for the help guys
Christopher

18th Jan 15 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=154699&p=1304456#p1304456

New Poll