corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Variable/ average speed cameras on the motorway

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Variable/ average speed cameras on the motorway
R Lee

User status: Offline
18th Dec 14 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Everybody that has driven on the motorway, have encountered roadworks with these variable/average speed cameras.
The ones that are bright yellow, mounted on the side of the road, or overhead. Normally with a bright pink, or red lens.
They're a very common sight nowadays...
But, have any of you guys actually ever been busted by one? Or know of anybody that has?
I often see people drive at a considerably higher speed than permitted but wonder what are the consequences, if any? Literally do not know of a single person ever caught by them!
Robin
Premium Member

18th Dec 14 at 16:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You mean the old Truvelo cameras, two lenses side by side one smaller than the other and one red?
R Lee

18th Dec 14 at 16:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

SPECS apparently?
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/a127-specs-speed-cameras.php Like this one?
There are different ones I've seen too.
Russ

18th Dec 14 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i got done in 2008 on m6 on the variable
oJNAo
Premium Member

18th Dec 14 at 16:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Saw loads on the M5 while there was a 50 zone due to roadworks, loads of people still went 60+ so I guess not
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

18th Dec 14 at 16:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
i got done in 2008 on m6 on the variable

Was that the variable bit around Birmingham?

I've heard of people getting done in a few of the variable limits but they aren't normally Specs cameras (or not what the above link shows as a Specs), the Specs are usually on roadworks where it's a fixed limit.

[Edited on 18-12-2014 by Mike]
whitter45

18th Dec 14 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes they work few guys in work have been done

Not the yellow cameras but the overhead ones are also getting people. They have just completed the variable speed cameras at Leeds and you get done going over 70 even when they are not on - i.e no speed limit getting shown

4 guys in the last 2 months at our place have got done on that stretch
SteveoBC
Premium Member

18th Dec 14 at 16:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Overhead ones on the M1 work when a speed is displayed, sometimes if you go too far over 70 aswell without a speed displayed they go off, seen other cars get flashed doing 90+

i decided to ignore a 50 sign and did 60 once...3pts

they decided to lower the speed limit due to a highways truck 2miles further up the road on the hard shouler ... hey ho, no use crying now

[Edited on 18-12-2014 by SteveoBC]
Ben G

18th Dec 14 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got done on the M6, cunts made the 50 look like 60 and I got caught doing 61. These are the type that display a speed on them which they can change.

I know this as I had my cruise control on. Wankers.

There was a bbc article about it, but I had already done the speed awareness course by that time, so didn't bother trying to claim anything back.

[Edited on 18-12-2014 by Ben G]
nibnob21
Premium Member

18th Dec 14 at 17:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not sure if this is true or not so correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that with the variable speed cameras you get on the M42 etc, certain cameras are calibrated to certain speeds.

Therefore, for example, say you have 4 sets of these cameras in a row, one set may be calibrated to 70mph, one set to 60mph, one set to 50mph and one set to 40mph. So even if they're all displaying 40mph, only one set will actually flash you if you're speeding.

Is this just a load of shite or is it right? That cameras are calibrated to catching one speed and not a host of speeds?

MX5 Project Thread
Bonney

18th Dec 14 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I take it you are on about Nino ones which take your speed from 2 points on the road and work out an average between the two?
R Lee

18th Dec 14 at 22:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bonney
I take it you are on about Nino ones which take your speed from 2 points on the road and work out an average between the two?

No idea?
I'm terrible with all these acronyms!
I thought that's what the SPECS one is?

Bonney

18th Dec 14 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They are basically put up around roadworks on a blue gantry with what looks like 3 cctv cameras on top, don't know what Nino is, something the iPad made up!
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

18th Dec 14 at 22:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They're the Specs Bonney. They don't measure speed they take a time stamped photo then another one further down the road (not necessarily the next one) takes a second photo and then the average speed is worked out once it knows the length of time it took you to cover the set distance between them.

After having a look into it, and to answer the original question, there seems to be plenty of stories on Pistonheads, where people have been done for speeding through Specs cameras. It seems they generally offer the same kind of tolerances as other cameras, roughly 10% +2mph (although one guy, who said he sets them up at site, said some that he's set up are at very low tolerances). In contrast, some things I've read give the impression that, in the early days at least, some seemed to be used more for data collection rather than enforcement, although I think that was more to research the 'Smart Motorways' concept.

[Edited on 18-12-2014 by Mike]
Gary
Premium Member

19th Dec 14 at 08:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whittie got done a while back round by me I think
Andrew

19th Dec 14 at 10:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Alex is always getting done

He is the man in the know!

I have to keep my speed down these days. Mobile cameras seem worse in Wales and Bradford. I visit each around once a month and everytime there is a mobile camera.

Plenty of variable cameras about and more getting put in place.

As for the average speed cameras, i know a guy that got done twice on these.
ShEp

19th Dec 14 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They have them on the A9 now, the main stretch joining Inverness/Highlands to Perth/Glasgow/Edinburgh

The average of them has to be 86mph before a letter is sent out, so I see them being kinda pointless, and a waste of money.
R Lee

19th Dec 14 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As far as I'm aware, local police constabularies manage local ones. But, who manages the ones on the motorways? Highways agency?
86mph is a massive tolerance tbh. Surely they have to abide by the same for all cameras? Seems a bit willy nilly.
Andrew

19th Dec 14 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ShEp
They average of them has to be 86mph before a letter is sent out, so I see them being kinda pointless, and a waste of money.

I see that as being reasonable. Modern cars are more than capable of doing 85MPH safe. If you hit 90MPH you know the risks!

Saying that, what idiot drives through speed cameras above the speed limit

Ben G

19th Dec 14 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The ones that don't understand what the word average means.

More fool then.
JM_16v

24th Dec 14 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My misses got done a few weeks ago in the new cameras between Junction 27 and 24 on the M25.

It was just after the big accident that shut the m25 for 12 hours was cleared . The Signs said 60 she got caught at 75mph on an empty motorway. Her fault.
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Dec 14 at 10:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should be an instant ban for anyone who brakes near one.
Tiger

24th Dec 14 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bit harsh Ian but I get where you're coming from!

[Edited on 24-12-2014 by Tiger]
Dee25790

2nd Jan 15 at 00:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been through a fair few speed cameras and one or two of these average ones and not been done. I don't know if they always turn them on. It maybe I've just been lucky..
antnee

2nd Jan 15 at 09:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have seen the variable limit ones working on the M42 by Birmingham/Cov/Solihull and also on the M1 by J13-J8.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Variable/ average speed cameras on the motorway 23 database queries in 0.1055701 seconds