corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Variable/ average speed cameras on the motorway

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Variable/ average speed cameras on the motorway
pro8186

User status: Offline
2nd Jan 15 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most newer hgv go through them flat out at 56mph (limiter) as the average speed cameras wont do you at 56mph, your allowed 10% over the speed limit without getting prosecuted. The signs dont tell you that though, as for cars doing 60-70 even more their taking a risk. Article in local paper last year stated how many thousands were paid in fines from the average cameras situated on the m54 telford.

[Edited on 02-01-2015 by pro8186]
pro8186

2nd Jan 15 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
I got done on the M6, cunts made the 50 look like 60 and I got caught doing 61. These are the type that display a speed on them which they can change.

I know this as I had my cruise control on. Wankers.

There was a bbc article about it, but I had already done the speed awareness course by that time, so didn't bother trying to claim anything back.

[Edited on 18-12-2014 by Ben G]

Watched thatprogramme about speed signs having the wrong font resulting in 1000's having their fines squashed. some average bloke took his case to the high court of appeal and won.
Ben G

2nd Jan 15 at 23:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah i would've done that but I only got the speed awareness course and the £90 to pay for it.

If i had got points, I'd have appealed it, but it's not worth going to court over it in my case.
Cavey

3rd Jan 15 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hate the variable speed limits

Are there queues because they've needlessly reduced the speed, or have the reduced the speed because there's queues?

Always seems to be queues through them, then once they stop traffic flows perfectly fine, luckily I don't do motorways too often so don't come across them that much
nibnob21
Premium Member

3rd Jan 15 at 11:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They're used when volune of traffic is high to keep people moving. At a slower speed you can safely be closer to the car in front, so if everyone goes the same slower speed it actually gets you through quicker. Generally you'll find wat the point where you can go back to the national limit it's just past a major junction where a lot of the traffic splits off.

M42 northbound past Birmingham for example, they often have the limits on, then once you're past the junction where it splits off for the M6 and a lot of the traffic filters off the limits come off.

MX5 Project Thread
MatthewR

3rd Jan 15 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Should be an instant ban for anyone who brakes near one.

AMEN
Ben G

3rd Jan 15 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Variable speed limits are absolutely useless.

Coming from scotland a few days ago, all was erfectly fine until we hit the m25 and due to heavy traffic they had gantrys with varying limits of 60, 50 and 40.

Funnily enough, there was no traffic at all and it went back to NSL.

Massive money making exercise is all they are.
Whittie

23rd Jan 15 at 00:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, think I was doing 85ish at the time. Didn't think they were real either.
Whittie

23rd Jan 15 at 00:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
Alex is always getting done

Back up drivers are the way forward.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
23rd Jan 15 at 00:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pro8186
Most newer hgv go through them flat out at 56mph

Really? Not my experience.
quote:
average speed cameras wont do you at 56mph

Probably won't - but there's nothing to say they definitely won't.
quote:
your allowed 10% over the speed limit without getting prosecuted.

No you're not, there are guidelines to introduce a bit of leniency in order to be sensible but you're not "allowed" anything. If the force decides they can handle the paperwork and appeals, you're not going to use being allowed to speed as a defence for speeding.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
23rd Jan 15 at 00:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Coming from scotland a few days ago, all was erfectly fine until we hit the m25 and due to heavy traffic they had gantrys with varying limits of 60, 50 and 40.

I think your problem there is the M25 being a shit motorway full of twats.

VSL works OK further north. There's nothing to stop the signs changing as you're moving through them. That's not making money, that's dealing with the conditions at that moment.

I still maintain the biggest problem with VSL or average checks is the wankers who can't use them.

50 on the sat nav on the cruise isn't hard and if you don't have the technology, move the fuck over.

Nothing worse in the world today than being in L2 up a hill with a trailer on and some nobhead brakes down to 40 on sight of the camera then back up to 60 because you nearly rear ended the cunt.

Genuinely can't wait for fuel to be £5/litre and braking on a motorway being punishable by jail.
Ben G

23rd Jan 15 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I drove over 250 miles without touching the brakes over Christmas. Would've been 400, but had to stop for fuel.
SVM 286

23rd Jan 15 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by R Lee
Everybody that has driven on the motorway, have encountered roadworks with these variable/average speed cameras.
The ones that are bright yellow, mounted on the side of the road, or overhead. Normally with a bright pink, or red lens.
They're a very common sight nowadays...
But, have any of you guys actually ever been busted by one? Or know of anybody that has?
I often see people drive at a considerably higher speed than permitted but wonder what are the consequences, if any? Literally do not know of a single person ever caught by them!

Funnily enough, I think these are the only type of camera i've not been nicked by.

That said, as soon as I see them coming up, I jump in lane 1 and drop my speed to about 2mph below the prescribed limit just to be on the safe side.

(i've been far more cautious and patient since being banned)
SVM 286

23rd Jan 15 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:

I think your problem there is the M25 being a shit motorway full of twats.

VSL works OK further north. There's nothing to stop the signs changing as you're moving through them. That's not making money, that's dealing with the conditions at that moment.

I still maintain the biggest problem with VSL or average checks is the wankers who can't use them.

50 on the sat nav on the cruise isn't hard and if you don't have the technology, move the fuck over.

Nothing worse in the world today than being in L2 up a hill with a trailer on and some nobhead brakes down to 40 on sight of the camera then back up to 60 because you nearly rear ended the cunt.

Genuinely can't wait for fuel to be £5/litre and braking on a motorway being punishable by jail.

I think someone may have slipped some lettuce into Ian's burger today.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Variable/ average speed cameras on the motorway 23 database queries in 0.0087309 seconds