corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » The Official F1 Season 2015 Thread

New Poll
  <<  43    44    45    46    47    48    49  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The Official F1 Season 2015 Thread
whitter45

User status: Offline
17th Oct 15 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For me, engine development will need to kept next year otherwise it will be another year of how quickly merc can get to the front and how many laps they can lead

They are so far ahead that winter development will not close the gap before you consider merc will continue to develop

I see it a good thing that customers can gain access to work spec engines but agree the works team take all the costs - the works teams just need to work out commercially how to claw the development costs back

[Edited on 17-10-2015 by whitter45]
Ellis

20th Oct 15 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just to add further complication to the whole saga...

"Bernie Ecclestone will try to force teams back to V8 engines"

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/motor-racing/formula-one-bernie-ecclestone-will-try-to-force-teams-back-to-v8-engines-a6700696.html

quote:
I don't think we should get consent from the teams. I think we should just do it and say to them, ‘If you don’t like it you can go to arbitration’. We could get the V8s back next year. People can build them in no time so we ought to do it.

What a bloody mess
Steve
Premium Member

20th Oct 15 at 13:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
The new “greener” engines do not consume as much fuel as previous models but they have been heavily criticised by Formula One diehards for lacking the high-pitched scream of their predecessors and they have also led to one team, Mercedes, dominating the season.

As opposed to one team, Redbull dominating the season
Dave

20th Oct 15 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's hardly new having one team way out in front, the Merc is good but it's not MP4-4 or FW14 dominant.

As I said before the teams are the engine suppliers too now so you're stuck unless you make the engines cheaper to develop, Red Bulls big hope was VW but I imagine the emissions thing will keep them out of F1 for now.
Ellis

20th Oct 15 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I genuinely believe the current engine formula will not become significantly cheaper to develop without sticking to it for years upon years to refine it. Although that would be OK, I get the feeling the fans haven't exactly fallen head-over-heels for it, myself included.

What must trouble Bernie & Co is the relative power an engine manufacturer now commands amongst the teams and the wider F1 management and hence we see these recent knee jerk technical regulation changes.

I hope 2017 brings about an engine/car formula that can restore some stability and excitement. Still nonetheless excited to see how 2016 pans out with the new team(s), change of engines for some and a winters worth of development for all.
Jambo

20th Oct 15 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im on board for V8's deffo.

Would like to see the plans for the 1000bhp turbo power-plants rumoured for 2017 though...
whitter45

21st Oct 15 at 08:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree with brundle and the biggest change they can make is to remove the front wing setup - they are so complicated

Russia really showed how cars cannot follow each other. Having done CFD on ground effect of Indycars for my Uni dissertation its clear that this sort of approach would make racing so much better

They should make the front wing a 2 element design like they used to be and have lower and wider rear wings with DRS that will allow closer racing and overtaking

Not sure how 1000BHP will add to things really. Making cars race closer is the key element
Ellis

21st Oct 15 at 09:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also agree with changing current front wing arrangement. Again you just have to look at GP2 for inspiration and simplicity.

I believe lower and wider rear wings are reported for 2017. I disagree with the concept of DRS personally, false overtaking IMO.

I hope they don't go anywhere near the 18" wheel concept - they'll end up looking like those hideous Formula-E cars.
tom130691
Premium Member

22nd Oct 15 at 06:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IMO

drs should be always available to force the driver to skillfully use it at the earliest possible time,

we've already had plently of "double" DRS drag races and there does seem to still be an advantage , (on top of the normal tow)
Ellis

22nd Oct 15 at 07:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anywhere on the track you mean? I'd vote for that.
tom130691
Premium Member

22nd Oct 15 at 07:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ellis
Anywhere on the track you mean? I'd vote for that.

yup, excluding maldonado he couldn't be trusted

Ellis

22nd Oct 15 at 07:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've thought about that whole DRS anywhere on the track thing for a while. Glad to see someone else is thinking the same.
A1EX

22nd Oct 15 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

10 place grid penalty for Vettel due to an engine change
Steve
Premium Member

22nd Oct 15 at 18:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

makes lewis chance higher then to take it next race
Ben G

22nd Oct 15 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He's pretty much an adopted American anyway so makes sense for him to take the title in Austin.
Jambo

22nd Oct 15 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd say he has it in the bag tbh.
Tiger

23rd Oct 15 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not looking good weather wise for the GP this weekend. If it's a washout, I can see this being the end of F1 in the USA. It's not exactly popular already over there!
Tiger

23rd Oct 15 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it is on next year, Laguna Seca is earmarked for a race!
Ben G

23rd Oct 15 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Laguna Seca is an awesome track, though I could never manage to master the corkscrew bit on Forza and managed to go far too fast into the gravel any barriers every single time

Texas appears to have a very odd climate. Ridiculously hot and dry one minute, soaking wet the next.

[Edited on 23-10-2015 by Ben G]
nibnob21
Premium Member

24th Oct 15 at 10:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will be interesting to see how competitive Palmer can be if Renault are taking over Lotus. Lotus have shown glimpses of what they can achieve over the last 2 or 3 years, they just lack consistency.

MX5 Project Thread
Kyle T
Premium Member

24th Oct 15 at 11:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger
It's not exactly popular already over there!

Bullshit...

Laguna Seca would also make a horrible horrible F1 track.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Jambo

24th Oct 15 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Glad Palmer got the Lotus seat
Ben G

24th Oct 15 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just wasted a few hours of my life watching 'Qualifying'.
Tiger

24th Oct 15 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah me too. Hopefully we have quali and a race tomorrow.
Ben G

24th Oct 15 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should do. Weather looks decent as the Hurricane is moving away from Austin.

I personally wouldn't mind a wet race. Quite enjoy the full wet to intermediate change over during a race. Usually ends up with heroes or guys in barriers.

<<  43    44    45    46    47    48    49  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » The Official F1 Season 2015 Thread 24 database queries in 0.0245121 seconds