corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Xenon HID's

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Xenon HID's
Balling
Premium Member

User status: Offline
29th Oct 14 at 15:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
So the downsides to people retro-fitting DIY kits would be present on non-projector HID factory lights too? Or is there something else to it?
Reflector and projector headlights are designed to emit light in a certain pattern. That pattern is different for xenon and halogen.

Ben G

29th Oct 14 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, but in my experience, 5000k hid direct bulbs in my halogen projectors work fine.

They passed an MOT so can't be that bad.
Jambo

29th Oct 14 at 19:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A proper shot of yours up by a wall Ben so we can see the cut off and aim? This should show up how much hot spotting there is etc.

The shape of the projector bowl in a halogen is not designed to distribute the light of an HID bulb correctly. There may be some projectors that can do an "ok" job of it (individual designs differ from VM to VM) but it really is a bit of a band aid fix that is not as good as you think.

Halogens project softer light further than HID, but HID illuminates a wider and more dense forefield. Hence the need for self levelers and sharp cut offs. The cut off if too vague in the halogen projector is what will be blinding oncoming traffic at specific angles of road.
Jambo

29th Oct 14 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Here is an example of HID bulbs (No details but bound to be rebased Chinese jobs not D2S) in projector bowl lights.

You can see the glare and spots of high intensity being unevenly distributed and the halogen "kicks" as required by design are what serve to blind oncoming traffic., this is absolutely piss poor.

This is a cut off of a proper Xenon projector using a proper D2S bulb....

The difference is night and day.
Ben G

29th Oct 14 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Found this one in my Photobucket.

I'm not saying it's anywhere near as good as a proper xenon set-up, but it's perfectly adequate.

I had bi-xenon's on my focus and don't see much difference between those and my current ones.
Ben G

30th Oct 14 at 02:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wasn't aware we were debating on the legality of them.

Do wheel spins and speeding are illegal but we've all done it.
DaveyLC

30th Oct 14 at 08:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
HID lamps don't have to be projectors. Civic being a good example.

John is correct.

The problem arises from the fact people are throwing universal kits into their standard clusters which have no diffuser or no means of correcting the pattern of the light which means you just end up blinding everyone and looking like a tool.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Xenon HID's 23 database queries in 0.0116639 seconds