corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Windows 10 announced

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Windows 10 announced
andy_mk3

User status: Offline
1st Oct 14 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Installing it now.
evilrob
Premium Member

1st Oct 14 at 21:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like it.
Rob_Quads

1st Oct 14 at 22:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's essentially what windows 8 should have been
Jambo

2nd Oct 14 at 03:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So have they ditched Metro then?
Bart

2nd Oct 14 at 06:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
So have they ditched Metro then?

I'm guessing not, I think it's still there but the start menu is more prominent and with tiles
kz

2nd Oct 14 at 06:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope but it's different... if you are a touch user you get the Start Screen with files to the left hand side, and Superbar always on show:

Whereas if you're a keyboard and mouse user you get the Live Tiles integrated into the Start Menu:

dannymccann

2nd Oct 14 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm still on XP on my main PC
pow
Premium Member

2nd Oct 14 at 21:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When my surface arrives I'll chuck this on my old laptop and see how it goes. Nor got enough disk space for a vm yet!
evilrob
Premium Member

2nd Oct 14 at 22:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
When my surface arrives

Pro 3?

Don't be tempted to put a beta OS on your brand new Surface though, dude. It'll be hard not to after test driving it on your old laptop but it's buggy as fuck for tablet - continuum isn't ready yet.

[Edited on 02-10-2014 by evilrob]
Jambo

2nd Oct 14 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might download this to my old PC, see how it fares.

Screenshots look good. Was having a convo with a mate who worked for Microsoft until quite recently who was defending the absence of the Start bad. Lolz.
Chris x

3rd Oct 14 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
It's essentially what windows 8 should have been
This!
kz

3rd Oct 14 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You know one of my favourite things in Windows used to be the Sidebar in Vista... wish they'd implement that with Live Tiles, would be perfect! I'm not really sure I want to be clicking on the Start Menu to see them each time.
pow
Premium Member

3rd Oct 14 at 22:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by evilrob
quote:
Originally posted by pow
When my surface arrives

Pro 3?

Don't be tempted to put a beta OS on your brand new Surface though, dude. It'll be hard not to after test driving it on your old laptop but it's buggy as fuck for tablet - continuum isn't ready yet.

[Edited on 02-10-2014 by evilrob]

Pro 3 i5, my budget wouldn't stretch to the i7!! I got a cyan case and my boss got a purple one lol. I won't be, I'll be putting 8.1 enterprise on it as per my ees agreement. Windows 10 can go on the tired alienware once I've cleared it of my shite haha!
evilrob
Premium Member

4th Oct 14 at 10:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Pro 3 i5

Awesome. Would be very interested to hear how you get on with it, I'm seriously tempted to upgrade following a brief play with one in Curry's.

I would also probably go for the Pro 3 i5 - it's quite a step up in £££ for the i7 isn't it!!
pow
Premium Member

8th Oct 14 at 10:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FUcking love the surface. Only thing that is a little annoying is it can't scale the screen properly on an external monitor without a restart.
Balling
Premium Member

8th Oct 14 at 11:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For the company that mainstreamed "flat" design, MS really needs to give the Windows interface an overhaul.

Their icon design is all over the place. Looks a right mess.

Scotty_B

8th Oct 14 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will this be a free upgrade if running 8.1?
pow
Premium Member

8th Oct 14 at 12:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No it's a new OS
Rob_Quads

8th Oct 14 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some are rumoring that it will be a free OS but I doubt it will be and is more likely going to be something like a £50 upgrade fee for the first year or so (similar to when 8 was released)

SO licenses are a major revenue stream MS so can't see them giving it away (although there are some arguments why doing so would make things easier for the company)
Dom

8th Oct 14 at 14:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Some are rumoring that it will be a free OS....

I can't see how as Microsoft can't offset the costs against hardware (ie - Apple) and similarly, it wouldn't make business sense in that they'd be cutting off primary revenue into the company as you've mentioned.

Either way, Windows isn't terribly expensive....

[Edited on 08-10-2014 by Dom]
DaveyLC

8th Oct 14 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
I can't see how as Microsoft can't offset the costs against hardware (ie - Apple) and similarly, it wouldn't make business sense in that they'd be cutting off primary revenue into the company as you've mentioned.

Its pretty simple, if your using the Windows OS you have to use Windows compatible products chances are you'll be using Microsoft Products a huge number of developers are using the .Net Framework and thus are using Microsoft development tools.
evilrob
Premium Member

8th Oct 14 at 16:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Some are rumoring that it will be a free OS....

Either way, Windows isn't terribly expensive....

They could offset it against App Store commission - if they execute their 'three screens and the cloud' vision in an atypically un-Microsoft way (i.e. successfully and in a way that people can understand), then people's phones, tablets and laptops will all be powered using Windows 10, making it a very attractive proposition for developers to get their apps into customers' hands on whatever that customer's preferred form factor is with minimum rework - Microsoft cream 30% off the top of every app sale or in-app purchase, maybe sell a few Windows Phones and Surface Tablets along the way, and maybe the odd Xbox One to complement - happy days.

It wouldn't be the craziest idea in the world to give at least a 'Consumer' version away for free to coax the luddites still on XP off their arses and generate the adoption required to finance the whole operation in software commission sales.

There would still be licensing fees for updates, support and other value add services for Enterprise, obviously.

[Edited on 08-10-2014 by evilrob]
Dom

8th Oct 14 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
Its pretty simple, if your using the Windows OS you have to use Windows compatible products chances are you'll be using Microsoft Products a huge number of developers are using the .Net Framework and thus are using Microsoft development tools.

If by 'compatible products' you mean software, then what are you suggesting exactly? Microsoft nab money from other revenues to fund OS development (plus media sales and licensing)? Or are you proposing they 'tax' software developers?

quote:
They could offset it against App Store commission...

Reducing app commission would just deter developers and any developer that sticks with it would just pass that cost onto the consumers pissing them off , which ultimately leads to piracy.

Microsoft's 'open' approach of not having control of the entire 'chain' doesn't really lend itself to offer Windows for free. And you've got to remember Windows is the product; OSX has never (not that i remember since using OS9) really been a product that Apple try and sell - rather its always been the hardware (with massive margins).
kz

8th Oct 14 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-9-said-to-be-free-again-this-time-by-a-microsoft-official

I think they have to at least think about offering this for free, otherwise it's just another reason OS X looks more appealing to consumers.
evilrob
Premium Member

8th Oct 14 at 21:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
They could offset it against App Store commission...

Reducing app commission would just deter developers and any developer that sticks with it would just pass that cost onto the consumers pissing them off , which ultimately leads to piracy.

Microsoft's 'open' approach of not having control of the entire 'chain' doesn't really lend itself to offer Windows for free. And you've got to remember Windows is the product; OSX has never (not that i remember since using OS9) really been a product that Apple try and sell - rather its always been the hardware (with massive margins).

Who said anything about reducing commission for developers?

I'm saying that by giving consumers (not businesses) Windows 10 for free, there would be a much bigger installed user base making purchases via the Windows App Store - and it's the revenue from this that would cover the cost of maintaining the OS.

With Windows 10 underpinning PC, tablet and mobile, that increases market reach - there are now three roads into the Windows ecosystem and any apps you buy on any one Windows-powered device will run on any future Windows-powered devices you may purchase rather than desktop/portable being distinct as they are between iOS and Mac OS X.

Making it easy to deploy across multiple form factors is a big draw for developers, but they'll be concerned about adoption of the new OS; Windows 8 and Windows Phone haven't exactly set the world on fire. This is why offering Windows 10 for free isn't total madness - there'll be no good reason for consumers not to get on board if it's free!

Windows USED to be the product - it is now the platform; on which Microsoft can hawk subscription-based cloud services like OneDrive, Office 365, Xbox Music and Video and of course cream 30% of all Apps and in-app purchases by third party developers on the Windows App store (this is what I meant by commission earlier).

Of course some developers will continue to sell traditional desktop applications outside of the App store directly to users with no money due to Microsoft (except for Visual Studio licenses, perhaps); but that 30% cut Microsoft take from those developers choosing to play the Windows 10 game makes financial sense given the minimal effort multi-device deployment (MASSIVE saving in development costs), with a much larger (in theory) potential user base and having Microsoft take care of the payment transaction and fulfilment (again, huge overhead savings).

Instead of the traditional OS sales model of getting punters to shell out £100 or whatever every 3-6 years for every other major release (I'm pretty sure most people skip at least one release, I know a lot of people didn't bother with Vista or 8, just went from XP and then begrudgingly to 7), Microsoft want hundreds of millions of people to be making hundreds of microtransactions on the App Store, or signing up to "tenner a month" services and then going on to purchase slick Microsoft hardware to enjoy those apps and services on.

I'm willing to bet they're banking on users spending more than the usual price of the OS on apps, in-app purchases, cloud services and media - but in dribs and drabs over a period of years rather than in one hit - great for cashflow; with the added bonus of Windows 10 being a gateway drug to Microsoft hardware purchases in the future.

[Edited on 08-10-2014 by evilrob]

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll