corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Apple Keynote today

Poll: Apple Keynote today
Hell yeah! I would suck off Tim Cook in an instant 2 (14.29%)
Couldn't give a fuck mate 12 (85.71%)

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Apple Keynote today
Cavey

User status: Offline
9th Sep 14 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

$349 apparently, so probably £299 over here?
Balling
Premium Member

9th Sep 14 at 19:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

More expensive than the iPhone 6???

Rob_Quads

9th Sep 14 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Er no the iPhone6 will be £500+ - The prices in the keynote were for on contract.

Looks like the watch is a $100/£100 premium over the likes of the Moto360 etc
Balling
Premium Member

9th Sep 14 at 19:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
The prices in the keynote were for on contract.
You're right.

Cavey

9th Sep 14 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Er no the iPhone6 will be £500+ - The prices in the keynote were for on contract.

Looks like the watch is a $100/£100 premium over the likes of the Moto360 etc

As expected, and i'd imagine it'll sell a hell of a lot more too
evilrob
Premium Member

9th Sep 14 at 19:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Alright, fair play Apple. I liked what you had to show us today.

Would rather have seen an iPhone with longer battery life and a non-sticky-out lens rather than a thinner one, but alright.

Apple Pay looks interesting.

Apple Watch looks to be the least worst of the wearables out there.

Could have done without seeing Bono today, but all in all a good effort.

Go on then, Tim - pop it in; just the tip, mind.
Rob_Quads

9th Sep 14 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agree on the battery. So do the measurements include the lens or not I wonder. Would have preferred the phone 2mm thicker and a bigger battery.

Apple Pay I think will work as they are already getting a good number of companies on board. More secure than the credit card NFC imo

Like the look of the Apple Watch but still not convinced on it. Also the fact I wear mine on the right arm means its a bit crap
kz

9th Sep 14 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Someone on The Verge just mentioned that maybe you can flip the watch upside down for the right wrist... I actually wore my watch there for years, just trying to swap over atm!

Personally I think it looks complete rubbish. Great features... but if it looks shit, what's the point. Moto 360 is killing this atm.

Not impressed with the iPhone 6 either, too big (for me) and the rear just looks awful! I was seriously believing all the leaks were fake because it would never look that bad. I'm considering just keeping my iPhone 5S or changing to an HTC One.
Dom

9th Sep 14 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Liking the iPhone 6 in black (to some extent anyway). Massively confused about the protruding camera lens and the reason why they felt the need to make the case even thinner rather than going with the obvious and keeping it in the same thickness as the 5 but adding a bigger battery.

The GUI of the iWatch/Apple Watch, what ever it's called, doesn't look too bad and seems like it works well. The design however is, personally speaking, piss poor for an Apple device; it's far from Apple's usual eloquent designs and just looks like every other rectangle/square smart-watch around. At least the Moto 360 looks inconspicuous and like a typical watch rather than an electrical device with wrist strap.
Cook also didn't seem to shed any light on the battery and running time of the iWatch/Apple Watch

quote:
More secure than the credit card NFC imo.

Apple also doesn't have a great track-record with security surrounding it's current online services (quite a lot of obvious gaping holes still exist now), so i don't have much faith with them holding onto my card details.

And tbh, i would have thought holding a £700 device (mobile NFC payment devices in general) to a pin machine is a sure-fire way of getting mugged

[Edited on 09-09-2014 by Dom]
Rob_Quads

9th Sep 14 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
Why is it more secure than a credit card?

With an NFC reader you can read the card number and expiry off the card in plain text with no encrypion. This can be used to then order stuff online at places like amazon as they don't require the extra numbers on the actual card.
The tokenisation means your making a unique token for that device. If someone steals it and tries to use it on another device then it just would not work.
(Very simplified view)
Cavey

9th Sep 14 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
Why is it more secure than a credit card?

With an NFC reader you can read the card number and expiry off the card in plain text with no encrypion. This can be used to then order stuff online at places like amazon as they don't require the extra numbers on the actual card.
The tokenisation means your making a unique token for that device. If someone steals it and tries to use it on another device then it just would not work.
(Very simplified view)

Arrrgh, damn two threads! We'll leave it in the other thread...
antscorsa

9th Sep 14 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Blame the design of the iWatch on them hiring Marc Newson. This guy is stuck in the 90s of bulbous "futuristic" but not useful design.
Balling
Premium Member

10th Sep 14 at 06:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Apple also doesn't have a great track-record with security surrounding it's current online services (quite a lot of obvious gaping holes still exist now), so i don't have much faith with them holding onto my card details.
They said in the keynote that the cards aren't stored online, but locally on the device (besides the card on record with iTunes, obv.) to increase security.

Apple aren't involved in the transaction either. It happens directly from the card/bank to the vendor.

John

10th Sep 14 at 06:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm all for moving forward so can't fault apple for trying this NFC payment. However, currently, can't see how that's easier than pulling my card out of the other pocket. If you have to go into an app, its much more difficult.
Rob_Quads

10th Sep 14 at 07:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apple Pay works for any value. NFC cards only work <£20 and then also trigger a pin every so often.

You don't need to go into the app. You move it to the terminal, it just prompts for TouchID to confirm payment - see http://vimeo.com/105692144

You can't genuinely think its not easier to just pull your phone out as opposed to your wallet and getting your card out. Yes its only 1 step but its undeniably easier (unless you only carry cards in your pocket but thats not the mass use case)
John

10th Sep 14 at 07:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I genuinely don't think it's easier. As my post above, don't get me wrong, I'm not putting them down for trying, that's how we progress. Funnily enough, the watch idea is better (although I still think it's a bit rubbish) because you've already got it out. I'm not sure that will just work without you then putting your finger on the phone will it?
pow
Premium Member

10th Sep 14 at 07:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't trust and Apple device with unpresedended access to my bank account following recent developments. I'll wait for Google to release something that's 100 times better and half the price. For now I'll carry on doing the extremely painful process of pressing 5 buttons on a keypad.
Dom

10th Sep 14 at 08:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
sh
They said in the keynote that the cards aren't stored online, but locally on the device (besides the card on record with iTunes, obv.) to increase security.

Apple aren't involved in the transaction either. It happens directly from the card/bank to the vendor.

In which case they're (Apple and card companies) sharing a hash of the card details, generated separately at either end, and using that for the transaction. If that's the case then the question becomes, how secure is the hashing algorithm? And how quickly can it be reversed engineered?

And how are Apple making money off this? Transaction fee?

Rob - Surely the Apple Pay app must prompt you to which card you want to use? If so, that's adding another step or two to the process.
And you're not getting away from the fact that you're a nice big target for getting your phone mugged every time you pull it out to pay for something.
Jambo

10th Sep 14 at 08:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't beleive how unremarkable the watch looks. I think it looks nice, but compared to other apple designs it seems somewhat conservative and fiddly.

Wonder if it will flop!

Can't wait for the Watch/s/plus/air in March
Rob_Quads

10th Sep 14 at 08:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think it will still sell bucket loads.

Will be interesting to see in in real life. From the reviews I've read they have said its made to the highest quality which I think will help it a lot
Marc

10th Sep 14 at 08:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The straps look cheap. The metal strapped one looks good, the others, look tacky.
Jambo

10th Sep 14 at 08:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No doubt they will sell more Watches than I have atoms in my body, just seems like the Jobs legacy fading away!
Rob_Quads

10th Sep 14 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by Balling

In which case they're (Apple and card companies) sharing a hash of the card details, generated separately at either end, and using that for the transaction. If that's the case then the question becomes, how secure is the hashing algorithm? And how quickly can it be reversed engineered?

If the banks are involved it will very very secure having seen some of the standards they have to work to and the way some of this stuff works. Your not allowed to just do what you want, there are very strict things to have to comply to. Is it hackable - yes but then everything is but how difficult in the question.
Whats out there at the moment is very hackable as shown by the recent stuff about Veriphone yet they are still common place in in the high street.

I'm not sure saying that Google will come up with a more secure system is a wise move. Just look in the news today - millions of account details leaked (yes they were got by phishing attacks etc not security loop holes they think but thats no different to the recent Apple stuff)
John

10th Sep 14 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was the apple stuff confirmed to be because of the brute force attacks on find my iPhone?
Rob_Quads

10th Sep 14 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup it was that good old loophole called people using obvious passwords. The 'hack' in the loosest way was on specific accounts with specific passwords (which people suspect has been gained from other methods)

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll