corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » WWDC 2013

New Poll
  <<  3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author WWDC 2013
A2H GO

User status: Offline
12th Jun 13 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't know mate this is my first mac, they're probably all fast tbf. I've been on it all day (a good 7 hours) building and running apps in Xcode and I've still got 62% battery (don't think it was even fully charged when it arrived).

It's the basic spec 11" model.
Dom

13th Jun 13 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
Mac Pro does look quite cool. Obviously will cost a fortune but its not designed for home but for business

Casing looks 'cool' but aesthetics barely comes into it when specing for a high performance business system - most of the time in video/audio production, they'll be locked away in soundproofed cabinets; so you can't see it anyway. And as hardware goes in the new model, it's pretty unimpressive (from the keynote anyway) considering the limited upgrade path and poor components in comparison to what's out there and what you can equip a PC with.

Was really hoping they'd be bringing out a decent refresh of the MP but it just seems like Apple are slipping massively in the high-performance business sector, all because they're too busy dicking around with light-up IO panels
ed

13th Jun 13 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't know what defines impressive, but the CPU's, GPU's and RAM are more than we can spec from Dell for a workstation (don't look anywhere else at work blah blah blah). Though a non-upgradable workstation? They must have done their market research to decide that's a good idea. Saying that though, we tend to upgrade people's workstations when they're new because Dell charge a fortune for RAM and SSDs, after that they get used for 2-3 years and then replaced - maybe that's how people do things these days?

[Edited on 13-06-2013 by ed]
Dom

13th Jun 13 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
I don't know what defines impressive, but the CPU's, GPU's and RAM are more than we can spec from Dell for a workstation (don't look anywhere else at work blah blah blah). Though a non-upgradable workstation? They must have done their market research to decide that's a good idea. Saying that though, we tend to upgrade people's workstations when they're new because Dell charge a fortune for RAM and SSDs, after that they get used for 2-3 years and then replaced - maybe that's how people do things these days?

No idea if Dell sell or support 2133 DDR3 but you can purchase the W9000 card from Dell and Dell/HP both offer workstations with 16 core Xeons (granted it's via dual socket) but the 12 core Xeon is part of the new Ivy Bridge line-up that is getting released Q3 this year anyway.

And Apple have truly shot themselves in the foot with the lack of PCI-E expansion slot(s) as it rules out a lot of the pro audio/video crowd, the ones really pedalling Mac Pro's, who need them for their gear (no doubt Magma and Sonnet will do really well out of this).

You're also stuck with AMD and OCL

There appears to be more disadvantages to it than advantages and it seems either Apple are attempting to kill off the MP range, let's be honest this is more of a souped-up Mac Mini than a workstation system, or they've well and truly lost their way.

I suspect there will be a lot more people looking into hackintosh's though.
Rob_Quads

14th Jun 13 at 07:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Remember you can get Thunderbolt to PCI-E if you really want to go that expansion you (yes it requires an expansion box but its possible)
ed

14th Jun 13 at 08:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it old fashioned to want my computer parts inside the computer?
Dom

14th Jun 13 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Is it old fashioned to want my computer parts inside the computer?

Wouldn't say reducing desktop clutter and wanting everything in one box old fashioned

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
Remember you can get Thunderbolt to PCI-E if you really want to go that expansion you (yes it requires an expansion box but its possible)

Yup, as mentioned you have Magma and Sonnet doing Thunderbolt PCI-E chassis but they're around $500/600 for a dual slot, not exactly cheap, and you then have the issue of PCI-E card support (granted this will expand over time).

I think this sums up the new MP nicely (nabbed from another forum) -
quote:
This new Mac Pro reeks of form-over-function... that's what happens when you let designers run the company

ed

14th Jun 13 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think most designers would refute that comment and say this is what happens when you let the marketing department call the shots

<<  3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll