corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » This ALS ice bucket challenge thing...

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author This ALS ice bucket challenge thing...
Jules S
Premium Member

User status: Offline
22nd Aug 14 at 22:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aren't Macmillan ripping this off now?
Dr Pepper

22nd Aug 14 at 22:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jules S

those fucking Macmillan nurses ... is there no end to the shit they will pull to help terminally ill people?
Jules S
Premium Member

22nd Aug 14 at 23:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Pepper
quote:

those fucking Macmillan nurses ... is there no end to the shit they will pull to help terminally ill people?

No idea

I think that must be the first time I've ever seen a charity bandwagoning/ripping off another though
Ben G

22nd Aug 14 at 23:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Yep. Bloke on facebook posted up a pic of his donation confirmation text (cringeworthy) from macmillan. I've told him he sent it to the wrong charity. Currently awaiting his reply.
Dr Pepper

22nd Aug 14 at 23:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

No idea

I think that must be the first time I've ever seen a charity bandwagoning/ripping off another though

So only one charity has ever put a charity box next to a till in a shop, or has sent fundraisers out into town centers, or advertised on Tv ect? What about children in need v comic relief v sports aid? Charities have always looked for ways to raise income exactly the same as businesses do. So many advertising agencies are scouring the internet for good idea on viral crazes to sell to their corporate clients - I do not hear a big outcry about that,

All charities do what they have to to get donations .... I would not call it ripping each other off.
Jules S
Premium Member

23rd Aug 14 at 00:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
All charities do what they have to to get donations .... I would not call it ripping each other off.

Really?

I'm struggling with that one....it seems Macmillan are using #icebucketchallenge on their FB page to get donations and you don't think that is ever so slightly wide of the mark in terms of misinterpretation about where the donations are going?

https://www.facebook.com/macmillancancer

Dr Pepper

23rd Aug 14 at 07:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Really?

I'm struggling with that one....it seems Macmillan are using #icebucketchallenge on their FB page to get donations and you don't think that is ever so slightly wide of the mark in terms of misinterpretation about where the donations are going?

https://www.facebook.com/macmillancancer

With a bit of reading it seems The ice bucket challenge was made viral by small charities in North America and New Zealand and by the British deaf charity and other cancer charities- the cold water was meant to represent the feeling of starting chemo within the cancer trusts.
People were doing it for Macmillan and other British charities before it was picked up in America
ALS promoted it after Macmillan - there was a spokesman from ALS on the radio this morning confirming they have smashed their fundraising records but that the idea was not originally from their own media department. It wasn't really ALS that had any idea - it was the celebrities that promoted the idea on their behalf.

Let's not get the facts get in the way though

No one owns this thing - any charity is free to use it to raise funds.

What is the downside? More charities use it, more people do it, more money is donated- it's not like it's being hijacked by Isis

[Edited on 23-08-2014 by Dr Pepper]

[Edited on 23-08-2014 by Dr Pepper]
Russ

23rd Aug 14 at 07:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It has spread round america as the ALS ice bucket challenge. ALS is Motor Neuron Disease.

It's fair to say, that people have probably heard of MND, but dont know what it actually is, it does not get the exposure that cancer gets. So i do think it's a bit naughty of MacMillan (who get millions of pounds donated every year) to jump on the bandwagon.

The cynic in me says that cancer is a profitable disease for pharmaceutical companies, as it affects more people, so all this work towards finding a cure is constant profit for them. Even when a 'cure' is found, the donations will still be welcome to improve it, which dont get me wrong, is fucking excellent, the sooner there is an injection thats given to pregnant mothers that prevents their child ever getting cancer the better.

There is currently no cure for MND, but it does not get anywhere near the same exposure.

There a million other diseases with no cure that affect a small percentage of the population however, which also get no exposure, so if one of the charities that support them think of a marketing scheme, i think it is fair that they are left to it.

IF people however say - I'd rather my money goes to cancer research/diabetes research/other research, then fine, thats their choice as an individual, and good on them for donating money.

[Edited on 23-08-2014 by Russ]
Cavey

23rd Aug 14 at 08:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If someone had a just giving page, and I went on that page and tried to convince people to give to my own just giving page instead, Would that not be wrong?

I have nothing against the cancer charities, they do an amazing job, I think people surviving it is up a third in 20 years? But there are other diseases out there that need attention as well.

(Although slightly against my own argument, cancer affects far more people than pretty much any other disease, so does proportionally need more donations)
Steve
Premium Member

23rd Aug 14 at 10:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cancer affects many many many more people than ALS though, if I had some money I was giving to charity it would undoubtedly go to cancer research rather than ALS, not really sure why ALS has suddenly become so hyped, sure its a nasty disease, but its massively small time compared to some of the others like cancer
John

23rd Aug 14 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thing you have to be really careful with about when giving money is how much of it actually ends up being used for the cause. The majority of the time it's not very much.
Russ

23rd Aug 14 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there's that too
Russ

23rd Aug 14 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We spent a record £121.7 million on services for people affected by cancer in 2013, 9% more than in 2012.

taken from their website
£60m not on care...
Russ

23rd Aug 14 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they also didn't spend £8.6m that they had as income
Russ

23rd Aug 14 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkO4NIqAMss
John

23rd Aug 14 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mont Blanc pen.
Russ

23rd Aug 14 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

writing instrument*
Russ

23rd Aug 14 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la86Dr4Nzpw
Ben G

23rd Aug 14 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My other halfs sister has nominated me needless to say I won't be doing it, but I may quietly donate to the proper charity without needing to post it on Facebook.
Cole

24th Aug 14 at 08:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

beng man up just do it
Hammer

24th Aug 14 at 10:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
My other halfs sister has nominated me needless to say I won't be doing it, but I may quietly donate to the proper charity without needing to post it on Facebook.

Miserable cunt.
Ben G

24th Aug 14 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats the point? I was the only person brave enough to go in the icy cold indoor pool on holiday, so i'm not worried about the water.

I just don't feel the need to try and be accepted by my Facebook buddies.
Hammer

24th Aug 14 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Because you're allowed to do silly things sometimes, otherwise life is a bit boring is it not?
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

24th Aug 14 at 16:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just done this myself and uploaded my video. Quite a laugh my mate jay did it at the same time.

And yes, we both donated.
Don't see the harm if people are actually donating I guess
Bart

24th Aug 14 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just got pissin nominated

Might have to do something different... ice bath or something maybe.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » This ALS ice bucket challenge thing... 22 database queries in 0.1107860 seconds