corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Change Light Fitting

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Change Light Fitting
Doug

User status: Offline
18th Aug 14 at 20:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good Evening,

Sorry for a n00b question, but I have only just bought my own house so never had the chance to do DIY before!

I want to upgrade the light fitting over the kitchen table to something that is a bit brighter; currently it is just an energy saving bulb in a single pendant fitting. Damn new builds.

What would I have to do to upgrade this light fitting to something like this:

http://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-jorgen-led-hoop-ceiling-pendant/p1159533

Would I need to do anything? How do they fit into the ceiling? Does moving from a normal lightbulb to LED require any changes?

Ste
Premium Member

18th Aug 14 at 22:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Isolate power to downstairs lights at the RCD.
remove bulb and lamp shade then unscrew the cover on the ceiling rose.

disconnect the wires from the block in the rose and then unscrew the rose from the ceiling.

They are mostly screwed to a joist so feel inside the hole for it if it's not obvious.

the new one will attach in a similar way but will explain on its fitting instructions.

will have it's own transformer as leds are dc and your mains is ac.

should be done in half an hour and be pretty easy for a first time DIYer

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
dannymccann

19th Aug 14 at 06:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As you are in a newbuild as well you won't have wonky coloured wires to deal with either!

I've done a few in our place, I'm terrible at anything practical and managed it without killing myself or setting fire to anything

[Edited on 19-08-2014 by dannymccann]
oceansoul

19th Aug 14 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If fitting a metal light fitting (like the one in the link) then make sure that you have an earth in your existing ceiling rose. Being a new build it should do, but some dont.

I cant have metal light fittings here as no earths on the lighting circuits.

Unless of course the new fitting is double insulated and doesn't require an earth.

[Edited on 19-08-2014 by oceansoul]
Doug

19th Aug 14 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's really helpful guys!

Thank you for the detailed replies. I will get out and have a look at the item in store to see what the light output and colour is like before committing.
Gary
Premium Member

20th Aug 14 at 06:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

don't do what ste said and just whip the cables out. take note of how its.wired. you may have some permanent lives in the 'loop' section in the middle. these will need putting on a connector as.i doubt.your new fitting will
Gary
Premium Member

20th Aug 14 at 06:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

... have a loop connection.

damn phone!
Cavey

20th Aug 14 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Literally did our Kitchen light yesterday, it was a piece of piss tbh

As said, you've got a new build, so you'll only have three wires in there, Blue, Brown, Green and Yellow.

Turn off downstairs lights (I did all lights just to be sure) on the fusebox thing (RCA) Unscrew everything that's there, and disconnect it all, unscrew the fitting, put the new one on, match the colours of the wires, screw it all back in. Power on, Bingo.

Really easy mate
Ben G

20th Aug 14 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As above. I'm shocking at electrical stuff and managed to do all mine with no problems. Just match the wires up from existing circuit and new light fitting.

Mines a 1985 or so build and had all the correctly coloured wires.
dannymccann

20th Aug 14 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just bought a 5 arm chandelier type jobby which needs all the wires twisting together then screwing into the connection block. This is proving rather tricky and everytime I manage to get them to all stay in correctly by the time I've managed to get the bloody thing reattached to the ceiling some of the wires have come out so it's tripping the fuse box as soon as I turn it back on.

Am I better off trying to put the 5 individual cables together into a bullet connector thing then screwing that into the connector block?!
Dom

20th Aug 14 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dannymccann
Am I better off trying to put the 5 individual cables together into a bullet connector thing then screwing that into the connector block?!

Is it not a choc-block arrangement at the ceiling rose end?
Gary
Premium Member

20th Aug 14 at 20:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

5 cables? Jesus. get a photo up Danny
VegasPhil
Premium Member

20th Aug 14 at 22:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Choc block would be easiest by the sounds of it. Use a decent screwdriver too. Otherwise you'll never get the bastard thing tight enough to keep hold of the wires. I wrap mine in insulation tape before it all goes into the ceiling usually to stop movement.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
dannymccann

21st Aug 14 at 06:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did try using tape, didn't seem to work brilliantly, just seems to be to many wires to fit safely and securely in the block.

House supply is dead easy, 1 of each blue brown and green
John

21st Aug 14 at 06:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't know if its the proper way to do that but I'd probably use a higher rated (physically bigger) block first and as ansecomd resort if i disnt have any, be splitting those up into more blocks and a jumper wire between them.
Dom

21st Aug 14 at 07:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What John said, either split them up or use higher rated/bigger choc-blocks. Saying that, when i've had similar light fittings, the supplied block is usually decent enough for the multiple connections - seems to be a bit of a bad design on yours though.
pow
Premium Member

21st Aug 14 at 07:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd be twisting them all together and dabbing a blob of solder on them, in the choc block jobs a goodun
Gary
Premium Member

21st Aug 14 at 12:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

6 way wago connector. important on my phone so cba getting a link but Google will throw them up. much better than using a block connector

Edit:

These things http://www.wago.ltd.uk/series222.html

Seems they don't do a 6 way so a 5 and a 3 would sort it if you use one ways out of the 5 to link across to the 3 way

[Edited on 21-08-2014 by Gary]
Welly Wanger

23rd Aug 14 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Either use a larger connector block, or use both entrances on the connector supplied and split the cables 3 in each side including your supply cable. Try not twisting the cables together as this isnt good practice and cables could pop out.
dannymccann

27th Aug 14 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Those Wago connectors look a bit fancy Not sure they would fit inside the fitting base, it's pretty snug up to the ceiling with that tiny block...

Welly, is that OK then? If I put 3 blue in one side, then 2 more blue + the blue from the house in the same connector, that wont cause any issues? I wasn't sure what the impact was of mixing the cables (same colour obviously!) in the different sides of the connector as the diagram that came with the fitting specifically said all in one side keeping the mains supply separate
John

27th Aug 14 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will be fine, the connector blocks are just a metal tube with 2 screws in it.
Gary
Premium Member

28th Aug 14 at 18:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Strip the cable back a bit more too, will make it miles easier
dannymccann

28th Aug 14 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tried that the other morning, managed to twat myself on the nose with the wire stripper, still got a bruise 5 days on
Gary
Premium Member

28th Aug 14 at 20:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might be worth getting someone to sort it for you

New Poll