corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » That tight fitted EG

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author That tight fitted EG
Minty_Fresh

User status: Offline
9th Jun 14 at 18:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Welcome to my build thread, i have had a few car builds on here in the past that people may remember, silver, White and grey corsa, mars red mk1 driver on borbet T's and mx5 dakar on borbet A's, which i thought sat pretty good (even though the fitment got better), how wrong i was..

Well its been a long time since the mx5 or any modified car in fact and i thought its about time i get myself back into the car scene. But being so indecisive didnt help this matter one bit and after finally deciding on the car it took me 5 months to actually find a example which wasnt one of the most common colours, wasnt over 100k miles and wasnt crazily priced.

The day came when i found one forsale, it had been up for less then 5 minutes, i sent the guy a email with my offer (what he was asking) and left it at that. No reply for 24hrs so i was pretty sure it had gone, which i was gutted about. But while walking around Japfest i had a call, it was the guy saying his email has been going crazy, even with higher offers he said mine was the first email, so i have first refusal! i sent a 50% deposit over there and then to secure the car even though i had only seen 2 pictures of the car (one of the wing mirror damage and the front badge).

Me and a friend set off a few weeks later on a 6 hour 360mile around trip to maidstone to collect it, which was a huge gamble being as i hadnt seen much of it at all..

on arrival, i was well chuffed, it was 20 years old so had a few age related dinks and rust patches but the colour and back ground of the car is what made it worth while.

51,000 miles
FSH
2 Owners
Thunder Grey

The deal was soon done and we set off for our 180 mile drive home..

It drove faultlessly all the way home, I drove it round for a few days after that which i loved but thought as soon as i take it off the road, sooner things can start happening.

We stripped the suspension, forks and spindles off to change/modifiy

Front forks sandblasted, cut, shortend and shaped to look oem, these will be welded by a professional cast welder and powdercoated (by rob @ project wheels)

The same amount/shaping will be done with the spindles so the geo stays the same.

While its stripped down i wanted to try my gottis on to see how they look/fitted, but being 15x8 et25 there very weak fitment, so spaced them 32mm for better, more accurate measurements for some new custom lips.

(front will be tighter with cut forks, spindles and strut towers)

@ et -7

Also my amber corners arrived (thanks to spirit9 for hooking me up with these), must for any car..

Thats where im at so far, a sizey order of items will be placed as soon as there in stock.

[Edited on 09-06-2014 by Minty_Fresh]
Christopher

9th Jun 14 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That will sit soo well if you can get it like that! Looks good
Minty_Fresh

9th Jun 14 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Christopher
That will sit soo well if you can get it like that! Looks good

That's how its going to sit
Generation

9th Jun 14 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think I've ever seen one in this colour, looks awesome already! Look forward to this project!
Christopher

9th Jun 14 at 21:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You hope if your running that static your going to need some serious stretch
djgritt
Premium Member

9th Jun 14 at 21:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ha, that petrol station is at the end of the road my Grandparents live on in Maidstone

Did you pick this up in Retirement corner then?
Minty_Fresh

9th Jun 14 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Generation - Ye, pretty hard to find in this colour.

Christopher - Thats a lie actually, it's going to sit better then in picture..

Djgritt - i think it was Tarragon road, big old building turned into apartments
Christopher

9th Jun 14 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Props to you then sir I look forward to seeing it done!
johnny86
Premium Member

9th Jun 14 at 21:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I live 10 mins from Maidstone
johnny86
Premium Member

9th Jun 14 at 21:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice car too lol
ArdenblueDan

12th Jun 14 at 08:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Beautiful car buddy love the colour
Minty_Fresh

14th Jun 14 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks guys

Popped over to Image Wheels a few days ago to get some info and price up some lips..

The wheels on show made it super hard as i was quite tempted to scrap the gottis and get some of there 3pc made, but think im going to stick the original plan even though im not 100% on final specs as of yet..

[Edited on 14-06-2014 by Minty_Fresh]
Graeme
Premium Member

15th Jun 14 at 18:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Image lips and barrels are known for being very easy to buckle and bend.

Would possibly consider others.

Contact wheelgeek.co.uk they will be able to help.
Minty_Fresh

15th Jun 14 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you personally experienced this or just something you have heard?

I have spoken to roughly 15 company's around the world, only 2 could offer something rather then nothing. That was blanks for me to get drilled myself (roughly £600 and think that was wheel geek) or another for around £650 and I would have to send measurements across which is extremely risky as it would only have to be a few mm out on pcd holes.

Edited..

After looking over the net I have found a few threads dating back to 09/10 with some unhappy customers, nothing recent.

I'm not backing them up at all, but how recent and who off has told you bad things?

[Edited on 15-06-2014 by Minty_Fresh]
Graeme
Premium Member

16th Jun 14 at 15:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought new lips for my old compomotive wheels from image and with in 2 months I had buckels in 2 of them. No obvious pot holes that I had hit.

This is going back 3 ish years ago. Have heard more recent but not sure if they were older parts just being checked now.

On ed38 look up a company in china. They are a big supplier for a lot of companies and have all widths, hole pattern and sizes.

Are you going for new centers then with the pcd worry?

[Edited on 16-06-2014 by Graeme]
Minty_Fresh

16th Jun 14 at 18:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah I get you..

What's this company In china?

And no I'm keeping the gottis just going for wider lips.

[Edited on 16-06-2014 by Minty_Fresh]
smoothboy

16th Jun 14 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Now this my kind of car used to be into these bad before changing to corsa b's but not messing with cars anymore getting on will be watching this build
Graeme
Premium Member

16th Jun 14 at 22:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Minty_Fresh
Ah I get you..

What's this company In china?

And no I'm keeping the gottis just going for wider lips.

[Edited on 16-06-2014 by Minty_Fresh]

Really can't remember. I found them on ed38 when I wanted to get some step ups for a set of bbs rs's.

For most common wheels you just need to send them an email with what you have and what you want. All you need to find out is hole amount and distance between holes if they don't list the gotti's.
Minty_Fresh

17th Jun 14 at 05:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No one stocks gotti lips only the more common bbs, schmidt and oz, hence only custom option.

I have come across another company up north, they would do custom items but for £70 cheaper then image, thought there would be a small discount if ordering x4 lips tbh..

Neil Dagens

17th Jun 14 at 08:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Love the colour of that
Minty_Fresh

19th Jun 14 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Small amount of progress..

Thing is you cant just slam these things (well you can but its not the correct way), you run into problems like the upper arms hitting and piercing through the strut tower etc. Plus the angles on the ball joints are at crazy angles as theres so much going. So by doing all the following, i can keep some form of natural geometry (well closer anyway), be roughly 37mm lower on the front before any suspension is fitted and hopefully being able to keep clean looking strut towers while being low.

-1.5" drop forks professionally tig welded (V cut and Filled)

and powdercoated (they got laquered after this was taken) but a huge huge thank you to pard (rob) @ project wheels. check out the website link in my sig if your in the westmidlands area..

same thing with the hub arms (known as spindles in the US), shortened -1.5" to match the fork drop and had the same process of being V cut and filled professionally.

would be a shame not to give them a clean, so wire brushed, hung up and a going over with some hammerite smooth..

as previously stated this has suffered from the ever so common sill corner rust (collects water in the skirts I'm guessing). not a problem at all to be honest, but rather then cutting and shaping a piece of sheet i decided just to buy a complete rear arch panel for the price it cost.

Cut out the rotten section and cut the piece i need to suite, which i will finish next time i get chance.

thats all for now, got to order my front and rear camber kit at some stage, which again has to be modified due to not being able to run the camber i need out the box, oh the fun..
ShEp

19th Jun 14 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well that all looks rather dangerous
Minty_Fresh

19th Jun 14 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ShEp

I wouldn't have done it if it wasn't safe, strength wise it's fine (done my homework before hand and it's been done professionally)
3CorsaMeal

20th Jun 14 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Loved these civics back in the day.
SXI - Matt

20th Jun 14 at 17:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ShEp

I was thinking this, surely you can buy ones manafactured to size instead of being cut and filled ect? So there till one piece?

[Edited on 20-06-2014 by SXI - Matt]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » That tight fitted EG 23 database queries in 0.1910441 seconds