corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Megane R26 Track Car - Trackday Pics, Stud conversion & booked in for work

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Megane R26 Track Car - Trackday Pics, Stud conversion & booked in for work
Toby
Premium Member

User status: Offline
20th Oct 14 at 18:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AlexW
Lol.

Cars looking good though, what do you think of the BC's? I really like them on a Clio.

Not driven in much anger and on track on Sunday to get a real feel for them but in all honesty I'm surprised at the difference between the BCs and cooksport springs/standard dampers. Car feels a lot more agile and quicker in direction changes which I'm sure will improve when They are set up properly.

Do you run a set?
AlexW

20th Oct 14 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Awesome. I don't really rate Cooksport springs lol.

I don't run a set personally, but one of my best friends do.
Kyle T
Premium Member

30th Oct 14 at 15:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just got caught up on the thread Toby, bloody shame you didn't get much running in this weekend but good to know you got home and the issue seems to have gone(?) I suppose that's more frustrating though not knowing whether another trackday will be a waste of 120quid or not...

What's the plan? Get some more road mileage in and see if you can replicate?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Toby
Premium Member

30th Oct 14 at 16:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah by all accounts it could have been a noisy cam follower which under that much heat decided to make a bit of a row. It hasn't reappeared since but hasn't been under the same duress.

Immediate plans are to attempt another trackday this year (promised my brother we would do one when he gets back from his tour, so feeling obliged to do it) and see what happens. If it doesn't reappear then happy days. If it does i will look to have it investigated a more probably in March time when the car goes in for uprated clutch, SMF, new belts and a few tweaks to the map. Hopefully all in time to kick off the next years 'season'.
Kyle T
Premium Member

30th Oct 14 at 16:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good stuff. Get back out round Cadwell.

And take a trailer

Hopefully it's nothing and something an oil cooler can fix or something.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Toby
Premium Member

30th Oct 14 at 17:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oil cooler is on my shopping list. Just need to find someone who manufactures them.

Cadwell is a possibility. My brother should be back in the UK in the next week or so now its all been handed over (only 300 left over there now!) so would work dates wise.
Kyle T
Premium Member

30th Oct 14 at 17:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Let's do it. I'll come watch, if I manage to sneak some AP's into the house before Christmas I'll be amazed

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

31st Oct 14 at 00:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Toby
Oil cooler is on my shopping list. Just need to find someone who manufactures them.

Cadwell is a possibility. My brother should be back in the UK in the next week or so now its all been handed over (only 300 left over there now!) so would work dates wise.

You just need a universal one, Clio 182 oil cooler setups on ebay fit
Toby
Premium Member

31st Oct 14 at 08:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo
quote:
Originally posted by Toby

You just need a universal one, Clio 182 oil cooler setups on ebay fit

Something like this -
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-SPORT-CLIO-172-182-CUP-TROPHY-2-0-16V-WILLIAMS-MOCAL-OIL-COOLER-KIT-RV-/151229415306?nma=true&si=Vhcrg8kjPf2A0oV6R540jNr6glg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Not a bad price for mocal gear. Assuming non branded stuff is cheaper to.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

2nd Nov 14 at 05:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup, you'll want a thermostatic plate too
Toby
Premium Member

31st Jan 15 at 10:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So, haven't updated this for a while as not a lot has happened....

Did a trackday on the 26th October at Blyton park so a few pictures from there.

And a video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqV_nMdbqTE

Car performed well generally (until Lunch!) and it was my first chance to test every change i had made so I was finding my feet with dialing in suspension and tyre pressures.

Just before lunch I got blacked flagged as the marshall thought he could smell gearbox oil, must have a good sense of smell from 100m but needless to say I came in as it was plausible due to the fact that it had just been changed and there may have been some residue. Evidently there wasn't an issue with the gearbox but there was a what appeared to be a potentially fatal noise coming from the engine with a god awful metallic tapping/ticking noise coming from the bay. We had a quick look, swapped plugs and injectors around but didn't seem to cure it so I left it to cool down at Lunch and went to reasses after, it was making the same noise so left it for the rest of the day with the plans to limp it home (didnt seem down on power, nor got louder/worse when engine speed increased). Left Blyton at about 4pm and went via a petrol station about 5/6 miles away. On arrival the ticking had stopped. Mix of emotions, relieved it was looking promising, pissed that i had missed half of my day over something simple like a sticky lifter. It hasn't missed a beat since, though its probably only covered about 250 miles since.

So the car has been stood pretty much since with little progress made. At Christmas I was given some studs for a conversion so set about that, pretty simple install and will save time when swapping wheels (which I'm on the look out for another set).

New Year arrived and still gathering funds for the car, I decided to book a trackday for a bit of motivation! So Oulton Park is booked on the 31st March and i know about 10 of the lads going so should be a good day. Got the car booked in for the following on the 14th Feb:

Replacement hub bearings each side
Droplinks
Track rod ends
Steering rack
Clutch slave cylinder
R26r clutch (should be good for over 300bhp/300ftlb - not wanting to get to close to that)
lightened flywheel (saving about 5kg)
Timing Belt (to get it timed up properly)
Water pump
Exhaust mount
rear beam polybushes
front roll bar polybushes

Once this work is done, the car just needs to go into RS Tuning in Leeds for an hour or so to tweek the map now when its got a stronger clutch and its timed up correctly. Hopefully it should it also make a bit more power but at least i should last this years trackdays!
Kyle T
Premium Member

31st Jan 15 at 13:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking good Toby, relieved to hear the engine wasn't terminal too.

I'm gonna book on Oulton too I think.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Toby
Premium Member

31st Jan 15 at 13:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had taken some advice on it and its been suggested that it was just a sticky hydraulic lifter. It will keep an eye on it.

Get booked! There's five or six lads I know in fiesta's (a couple local to us too) plus myself, Dave, Rob and my brother Seb.
Kyle T
Premium Member

31st Jan 15 at 13:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Booked. Stuck something on FB, but are you lot staying over the night before somewhere?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Megane R26 Track Car - Trackday Pics, Stud conversion & booked in for work 24 database queries in 0.0130150 seconds